Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 8, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #1,112 of 2,617
I really like the sound signature of the stock firmware (more airy, smoother and wider soundstage), but I like the features of rockbox. Is there any specific tweaks in rockbox that I can use to make it sound like the stock firmware?

Dec 8, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #1,113 of 2,617
Hi

How did you debug or fix this as i am struggling to get rid of RB and having the same issue as you had.

I am not very techy so would be really helpful if there was a step by step walk through.

Regards

Dec 8, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,115 of 2,617

Fiio x1ii interface is nice.. but Xduuo X3 sound better and not by a small margin...
EDIT: I must add.... IMHO... :)

Try to listen them first if possible... 

I replaced my x3 with a Sony a35 to pair with my shure 846,the difference wasn't big in terms of sq, Ui and battery life is great.. I gave up on the x3, freezes randomly on startup while I always had to bring a paperclip. 
mad.gif
 You'll miss the x3's midrange thickness and dual sd card slot though.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #1,117 of 2,617
Hey guys ,would running rockbox compared to running stock firmware have an audible sq difference?

The differences are only really noticeable with higher end files. Rockbox downsamples everything to 16 bit 44.1 or 48.

edit:

I should mention the same old same old issue, in case you are a new reader without checking back in the older posts. If you are not tone deaf the stock firmware will irritate your senses by playing everything too slow and low. It's an issue with 44.1 k and 88.2 k files. 48k and 96k are unaffected. Many people say they can't hear it and don't worry about it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #1,118 of 2,617
I replaced my x3 with a Sony a35 to pair with my shure 846,the difference wasn't big in terms of sq, Ui and battery life is great.. I gave up on the x3, freezes randomly on startup while I always had to bring a paperclip. :mad:  You'll miss the x3's midrange thickness and dual sd card slot though.

Ah sorry to hear about your X3... Have you tried redo the conversion?
Frankly, when I ran older Rockbix version I always can back and forth between Rockbox and native XDuoo. With tgr latest firmeare, it always frozen if I go to XDuuo firmware...

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #1,120 of 2,617
Hi I'm having the same problem how do I get rid of the hidden files?

If you are using windows OS, you will need to make sure that you are able to see the hidden system files.

Windows Key + E opens Windows Explorer. Under View --> Option is a entry "Change folder and search options". In that list that follows are things like Hidden files and folders. There is also an entry for "Hide protected OS files" you have to change that.

Now you will see a folder called "System Volume Information" on every hard drive of your system. In that folder on your SD card will be two files created by RB. Those you need to delete.

Obviously this procedure is different if you are on a different OS.

Regarding "Debugging": You will need the code and the development environment to do so. Programming skills are required.

Cheers.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,121 of 2,617
  The differences are only really noticeable with higher end files. Rockbox downsamples everything to 16 bit 44.1 or 48.

edit:

I should mention the same old same old issue, in case you are a new reader without checking back in the older posts. If you are not tone deaf the stock firmware will irritate your senses by playing everything too slow and low. It's an issue with 44.1 k and 88.2 k files. 48k and 96k are unaffected. Many people say they can't hear it and don't worry about it.

Yeah ive read about the pitch issue with the stock firmware. What I actually wanted to know is how swithcing to rockbox affects the sound compared to stock firmware.

Ive read that some say rockbox sounds darker, warmer, less detailed/airy ,has a smaller soundstage .....etc compared to the stock firmware. Can anyone confirm this?

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #1,122 of 2,617
Yeah ive read about the pitch issue with the stock firmware. What I actually wanted to know is how swithcing to rockbox affects the sound compared to stock firmware.

Ive read that some say rockbox sounds darker, warmer, less detailed/airy ,has a smaller soundstage .....etc compared to the stock firmware. Can anyone confirm this?

But surely that's a false sound, kind of like the voice effect setting on a cheap Snapchat app?

It's as "coloured" as it gets?

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #1,123 of 2,617

@EmPathWalker has already answered you:
"The differences are only really noticeable with higher end files. Rockbox downsamples everything to 16 bit 44.1 or 48."

for 44.1 or 48KHz, and related to tonality, check the frequency response of rockboxed xDuoo X3, unloaded, and loaded with multi-BA IEMs; it is completely flat and wide. so, about "darker", the answer is a rotund NO, except if the stock firmware does color the sound to brighter (which it would be worse, and i really doubt it). and i guess the rest of sound (airiness, detail..) is also the same (for 44.1 or 48KHz sources), but i can't ensure it based on objective info.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #1,124 of 2,617
measured both, at 48KHz, for you. rockboxed x3 vs stock x3.

stock (unloaded and with Pai Audio MR3 -multiBA-):                                                     rockboxed (unloaded and with MR3):

comparison, stock vs rockboxed, with MR3 (big format, to distinguish details; click on the image):

about tonality, both are flat, and rockbox version stands a bit better with highs (so it shouldn't sound darker at all). but some slight ripples appear along the whole frequency range.
noise, distortion, etc. look very similar, but there are slight differences which i don't know to interpret (and maybe the differences are due to different measure conditions/parameters); together with the ripple in frequency response of the rockboxed version, it could tell about slight clearness in stock version (but it goes beyond my limited knowledge).

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #1,125 of 2,617
  measured both, at 48KHz, for you. rockboxed x3 vs stock x3.

stock (unloaded and with Pai Audio MR3 -multiBA-):                                                     rockboxed (unloaded and with MR3):

comparison, stock vs rockboxed, with MR3 (big format, to distinguish details; click on the image):

about tonality, both are flat, and rockbox version stands a bit better with highs (so it shouldn't sound darker at all). but some slight ripples appear along the whole frequency range.
noise, distortion, etc. look very similar, but there are slight differences which i don't know to interpret (and maybe the differences are due to different measure conditions/parameters); together with the ripple in frequency response of the rockboxed version, it could tell about slight clearness in stock version (but it goes beyond my limited knowledge).

Aaah , I see..... Thanks A Ton :D . So the stock firmware gives you a slightly clearer percieved sound?

So , other than the reduced battery life and occasional instability, are there any other quirks using rockbox?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back