Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 3, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #886 of 2,617
  You didn't void your warranty by installing Rockbox because the person who ported it to the X3 provides a separate file which is the original bootloader that you can re-install on your player which returns it, after you also delete the .rockbox folder, to the factory state (actually you don't have to delete the .rockbox folder since it's on the memory card and if you return your player you wouldn't return it with a card inside, but the bootloader has to be returned to its original state).

Nevertheless, before you go through the hassle and delay of returning your player, just get yourself a Torx T5 screwdriver and try disconnecting the battery.

re: "a separate file which is the original bootloader that you can re-install on your player which returns it, after you also delete the .rockbox folder ... "

The problem though, is that the player is completely dead!!! as in Flat-line dead, No-sign-of-life dead! i.e. There is NO WAY to access or re-install the original bootloader on the player which returns it [to factory state].

FWIW, This morning I tried again to connect the X3 to Windows via the original supplied USB cable; it makes the typical windows sound that you hear when you connect an external/USB device. But no external connected drive icon shows up in Windows (as it was doing before the crash). i.e. it seems as if Windows is still able to detect that an external device has been connected, but it can't go any further than this to actually provide any info on what the device is, and therefore there's no way to access the contents on the device...

I'm slowly becoming convinced that what has occurred here is a total hardware failure on the Xduoo X3. Not absolutely sure what caused it though...

PS: Oh wait ! I forgot to mention that when I take the SD micro Card out of the player and pop it into the card reader on my PC, I can see/read/edit all the files, no problem at all. (I am using a Kingston 128 GB Flash Memory Card with a microSDXC to SD Adapter)

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #887 of 2,617
ironically enough I have to report my black rockboxed xDuoo X3 seems also to have failed. went to have a go this morning after reading these latest posts ( it's hardly used ) no relay click, not recognised by computer . dead.

weird.

I have a silver one which seems to be working ok.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #888 of 2,617
  ironically enough I have to report my black rockboxed xDuoo X3 seems also to have failed. went to have a go this morning after reading these latest posts ( it's hardly used ) no relay click, not recognised by computer . dead.

weird.

I have a silver one which seems to be working ok.

Did you notice that m0b1liz3 has also had a similar issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3/855#post_12977702

It's beginning to look as though xDuoo Technology Company.,ltd created a bad batch of xDUOOs...
angry_face.gif

Class action lawsuit???
biggrin.gif

At the very least I reckon we deserve to have these units replaced, or a full refund, Rockbox'd or not!

re: "I have a silver one which seems to be working ok." - Just wondering, does your silver one have Rockbox installed or not?

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #889 of 2,617

Did you notice that m0b1liz3 has also had a similar issue: http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3/855#post_12977702

It's beginning to look as though xDuoo Technology Company.,ltd created a bad batch of xDUOOs...
angry_face.gif

Class action lawsuit???
biggrin.gif

At the very least I reckon we deserve to have these units replaced, or a full refund, Rockbox'd or not!

re: "I have a silver one which seems to be working ok." - Just wondering, does your silver one have Rockbox installed or not?

yes silver one also rockboxed, i'll see how long that lasts. have been preferring my Colorfly C3 and xDuooX2 in recent months but may spend some time with the silver X3 see if I notice anything unusual !

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #890 of 2,617

re: "a separate file which is the original bootloader that you can re-install on your player which returns it, after you also delete the .rockbox folder ... "

The problem though, is that the player is completely dead!!! as in Flat-line dead, No-sign-of-life dead! i.e. There is NO WAY to access or re-install the original bootloader on the player which returns it [to factory state].

FWIW, This morning I tried again to connect the X3 to Windows via the original supplied USB cable; it makes the typical windows sound that you hear when you connect an external/USB device. But no external connected drive icon shows up in Windows (as it was doing before the crash). i.e. it seems as if Windows is still able to detect that an external device has been connected, but it can't go any further than this to actually provide any info on what the device is, and therefore there's no way to access the contents on the device...

I'm slowly becoming convinced that what has occurred here is a total hardware failure on the Xduoo X3. Not absolutely sure what caused it though...

PS: Oh wait ! I forgot to mention that when I take the SD micro Card out of the player and pop it into the card reader on my PC, I can see/read/edit all the files, no problem at all. (I am using a Kingston 128 GB Flash Memory Card with a microSDXC to SD Adapter)

Can you open Device Manager and see what USB device it was?

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #891 of 2,617
I'm thinking that Rockboxing the X3 won't void warranty as it was developed with Xduoo's assistance. Tony from Xduoo and Ffarsh
were in fairly close communication IIRC.

I got my X3 about a year ago, and haven't had any issues with it at all. I don't treat it with kid gloves at all, infact probably the opposite.
It gets stuffed into my pocket nightly for a long walk, tossed onto my desk when not in my pocket and gets used at least 3 or 4 hours a
day (before the walk).
Wonder if Xduoo manufacturing took a turn for the worst as demand for the X3 (largely due to Head-fi and Massdrop) increased?

Nov 3, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #892 of 2,617
  Can you open Device Manager and see what USB device it was?

It occurred to me to check again after I saw your post. I still hear the typical device-connected Windows system-sound when I connect via the USB cable. But the External Drive icon is no longer popping up in File Manager like it used to, and also no indication whatsoever in Device Manager that an external/USB device has been connected.

The SD card works just fine independently though, via card reader in Windows, as previously indicated.

Pretty sure my Xduoo X3 is most definitely bricked now! Difficult to say what the cause might have been. I have never used it outdoors, (it's only 2 weeks old). I hadn't subjected it to any kind of rough treatment in any way shape or form. In fact it's actually been hardly used at all the past couple weeks, because I have still spent most of my music time listening to my iRiver H340 or WinAmp and foobar2000 on my PC. I got it mostly just as a back up (you know, just in case ) when my iRiver started behaving funny...

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #893 of 2,617
I've never been able to see the USB card in my X3 when connected to my Windows 7 Professional system and my X3 isn't bricked.
As mentioned above by others I do all my transfers with a card reader so not an issue with me.

Good luck contacting Xduoo concerning your X3, I never did get answers from them, their customer support is less than stellar.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #894 of 2,617
  I've never been able to see the USB card in my X3 when connected to my Windows 7 Professional system and my X3 isn't bricked.
As mentioned above by others I do all my transfers with a card reader so not an issue with me.

I do transfers with a card reader if I am adding more than a couple of albums or want to reorganize the data.  If I only want to add an album or two I connect it to my Windows 7 PC in stock firmware mode.   Turned off but lock on.  My Pc gives a device letter to each card. It takes a few minutes to read the cards but they do eventually show up.  I do this because I am worried about wearing out the little springs that hold and release the cards so I don't want to constantly stress them.    After I have finished I safely eject and unlock the device to reboot into rockbox mode and update the database. 

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #896 of 2,617
  [...]

Pretty sure my Xduoo X3 is most definitely bricked now!

[...]

Pretty sure, not sure. Can this gap be of any help ?

The day before yesterday my X3 died : black screen, not responding to any button, not responding to a USB connection to a computer... Dead. What to do... Funerals ?...

Knowing I played a lot with it in the past (rockboxed and unrockboxed a few times, opened it a lot, unplugged the battery various times, immerged it in a swimming pool, lock it in a rice jug, breaking the volume up button in the process...), I feared my games may have had some bad impact on it, maybe up to kill it.

Anyhow, playing with it in a less noisy environment, I could note that connecting and disconnecting the earphone was generating a little noise in the earphones. Hence, there was electricity involved somewhere. Hence, despite showing no sign of life, my X3 was not dead. Maybe in deep coma ? Mmmmm... Not that bad...

Pressing the reset button for over one minute produced another little noise in the earphones. A reaction to the input I was giving. Mmmmm.... Good... I waited for a couple of minutes, crossed all my fingers, pressed the on button with elbow (all fingers were busy at crossing with themselves) and voilà ! It launched on rockbox, and since functions nominally !

What I am underling here is there is maybe a hope, in your situation.

And, you can take my words, or you can read this entire post for this : responding, or not responding to USB connection is not an information. As this connection is not stabilised, under RockBox, nor, for it seems, under original firmware. Many people, from time to time, complain about it, and there is nothing done on it yet.

I just wanted to give you some hope. If the return process doesn't gives you satisfaction, you still play with a screwdriver.

Thezac.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #897 of 2,617

Pretty sure, not sure. Can this gap be of any help ?

The day before yesterday my X3 died : black screen, not responding to any button, not responding to a USB connection to a computer... Dead. What to do... Funerals ?...

Knowing I played a lot with it in the past (rockboxed and unrockboxed a few times, opened it a lot, unplugged the battery various times, immerged it in a swimming pool, lock it in a rice jug, breaking the volume up button in the process...), I feared my games may have had some bad impact on it, maybe up to kill it.

Anyhow, playing with it in a less noisy environment, I could note that connecting and disconnecting the earphone was generating a little noise in the earphones. Hence, there was electricity involved somewhere. Hence, despite showing no sign of life, my X3 was not dead. Maybe in deep coma ? Mmmmm... Not that bad...

Pressing the reset button for over one minute produced another little noise in the earphones. A reaction to the input I was giving. Mmmmm.... Good... I waited for a couple of minutes, crossed all my fingers, pressed the on button with elbow (all fingers were busy at crossing with themselves) and voilà ! It launched on rockbox, and since functions nominally !

What I am underling here is there is maybe a hope, in your situation.

And, you can take my words, or you can read this entire post for this : responding, or not responding to USB connection is not an information. As this connection is not stabilised, under RockBox, nor, for it seems, under original firmware. Many people, from time to time, complain about it, and there is nothing done on it yet.

I just wanted to give you some hope. If the return process doesn't gives you satisfaction, you still play with a screwdriver.

Thezac.

Wow! what can I say. :astonished: A story of Biblical proportions, in a Raising-Lazarus-From-The-Dead kind of way!  Definitely gives me hope anyway.
I ought to follow your lead and just keep on trying a reset. Maybe there's still a slight chance it'll come out if it's coma?!...
redface.gif

Thanks for sharing. Would also like to say a big thanks to everyone for the input thus far. :thumbsup: I'm feeling like it's making the apparent loss easier to take. I probably would have been inconsolable otherwise.

Nov 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #898 of 2,617

Wow! what can I say. :astonished: A story of Biblical proportions, in a Raising-Lazarus-From-The-Dead kind of way!  Definitely gives me hope anyway.
I ought to follow your lead and just keep on trying a reset. Maybe there's still a slight chance it'll come out if it's coma?!...
redface.gif

Thanks for sharing. Would also like to say a big thanks to everyone for the input thus far. :thumbsup: I'm feeling like it's making the apparent loss easier to take. I probably would have been inconsolable otherwise.

I think there's reason to be hopeful. I don't think your player's dead, just comatose. It seems the reset is being blocked, perhaps by residual charge in other parts of the circuit. Disconnecting the battery is your best best for resetting it fully. If you do end up disconnecting the battery, I would follow the advice above and attempt to operate the player with the battery out (power on, reset, etc.) in order to exhaust any residual charge that may be blocking the reset.

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #899 of 2,617
Anyone having the same issues as I experience with the Rockboxed xDuoo X3 sometimes skipping just randomly to the next song, incidental hiccup and even high pitched full stop of a song?
If so, how is it to be solved?
And is there an alternative so to better enjoy 24bit quality songs?
Thank you

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #900 of 2,617
Anyone having the same issues as I experience with the Rockboxed xDuoo X3 sometimes skipping just randomly to the next song, incidental hiccup and even high pitched full stop of a song?
If so, how is it to be solved?
And is there an alternative so to better enjoy 24bit quality songs?
Thank you

Mine does that with certain flac files if I use the standard firmware, never does it with Rockbox though.  I presumed that it was a codec issue with the standard build or something like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back