Rockbox Xduoo X3
Nov 2, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #871 of 2,617

Does anyone have any recommendations on a program to use for the creation of playlists on the Rockboxed xDuoo X3?
As a corollary question, is it possible to create a playlist with all files on the device and use that to effect a completely inclusive random shuffle mode?

I use Foobar2000 to build playlists and manage my music (it's great for Replay Gain). The trick is that Foobar will add specific drive letters to the file paths in the M3U/M3U8 playlists, and Rockbox doesn't use those. What's worse, is that Rockbox specifies the Slot 2 card as <microSD1> in a playlist. This means that, assuming your Playlists folder is on the Slot 1 card, if your first track is on the Slot 1 card and your second is on the Slot 2 card, your file addresses should be as follows for Rockbox to find them:

/../ABBA/Super Trouper/08 The Piper.ogg
/<microSD1>/ABBA/Super Trouper/09 Lay All Your Love On Me.ogg

...or close, depending on how you organise your music. Why you would split up an ABBA folder across two cards is anyone's guess. :wink: When I build playlists in Foobar2000, I always have to open the playlist file in Notepad and do a search & replace to swap the drive letters with either the directory up (..) or the <MicroSD> indicators as needed.

I may sound like I know what I'm talking about, but please understand I may have messed up my drive indicators, so...there's that. As all things Rockbox, experimentation is your friend.

To answer the second question, Yes--with the caveats as mentioned above about how Rockbox expects to find the music across both cards. The easiest way to do this (especially on the go) is to keep your music folders in one master folder labelled "Music" on each card. Then, in the File browser, you just have to highlight each Music folder, long-press Play, select Playlist and then Insert Shuffled. Technically, you don't need to do that on the Slot 2 card, since you can long-press Play on the <microSD1> folder and add that to your playlist.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #872 of 2,617
  I would leave it on the charger, set the lock switch on so it boots to the original firmware, remove the sd card to eliminate a corrupt file as a variable, and hit (and hold) the power button...

Oh, one more thing, since it's on the charger but with no charging screen, I would continue hitting the reset button to see if you can get it back to a charging state before you reboot.

An alternative method of trying to get back to a charging state is to unplug and replug the charger a few time and see if the battery animation reappears. If it does I would try to power on.

Thanks Riolist2

I have tried everything suggested, nothing has worked. But it would appear I have permanently bricked my first xDuoo X3!!!
mad.gif

deadhorse.gif

Oh dear! Not sure what do do next?

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #873 of 2,617
I purchased an Xduoo X3 because I feared that my iRiver H340 was about to give up the ghost. But now the said iRiver H340 is still going strong, and it's the X3 that has DIED - isn't it ironic?!
frown.gif

So it would seem, based on my own experiences, and based on the experiences of others that I have been reading about, that the X3 is quite fragile and needs to be handled with kids gloves. Harrumph!   It's perhaps worth noting too, that one reason my X3 had gone unused for last couple of days was actually partly for that reason; i.e. I was already starting to get too concerned about over-using the thing? funny somehow. It's died prematurely anyway.

I am now extremely reluctant to rush out to buy another xDuoo X3 and even, *sharp-intake-of-breath* considering shopping for another iRiver instead!!! Yes! Despite their reputation for now being relatively archaic & out-dated are still in fact rather solid & durable players; but most of all Sound-wise, in the 34+ years (Sony Walkman cassette player, circa 1981, Hello!!!) since I've been a portable music player user and aficionado, I have never come across any portable mp3 player with an overall sound to match the iRiver, especially its EQ & low-end bass sound. To me a Rockbox'd-Xduoo has come the closest so far, but now I am having negative feelings about the X3-on-Rockbox.

What to do - What to do?
confused_face.gif

Suggestions,  anyone?

Nov 2, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #874 of 2,617
Well, Sometimes my wife's laptop has issues booting up and the only way I can fix it is by unplugging the charger and taking the battery off for a few seconds and then restarting windows and then all is fine.

I wonder if the Xduoo X3 can be opened up and the battery disconnected. After that the Player has to start from beginning. to boot up 
confused_face(1).gif

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #875 of 2,617
Actually, yes.

All you need is a specific screwdriver. Then you open the box and carefully unplug the battery. Not difficult at all. I had the opportunity to practice, last time I had the terrific idea to drop my Xduoo X3 in a swimming pool.

Dried with a towel, forgotten a couple of days in a box with some rice, and it now works as well as before.

Hence, I testify unconnecting the battery is very easy. It may solve your issue. It's worth a try.

Thezac.

Nov 2, 2016 at 9:45 PM Post #876 of 2,617
  Actually, yes.

All you need is a specific screwdriver. Then you open the box and carefully unplug the battery. Not difficult at all. I had the opportunity to practice, last time I had the terrific idea to drop my Xduoo X3 in a swimming pool.

Dried with a towel, forgotten a couple of days in a box with some rice, and it now works as well as before.

Hence, I testify unconnecting the battery is very easy. It may solve your issue. It's worth a try.

Thezac.

Well, Sometimes my wife's laptop has issues booting up and the only way I can fix it is by unplugging the charger and taking the battery off for a few seconds and then restarting windows and then all is fine.

I wonder if the Xduoo X3 can be opened up and the battery disconnected. After that the Player has to start from beginning. to boot up 
confused_face(1).gif

Thanks all, I greatly appreciate your input.

Firstly, regarding battery replacement, the flyer inside specifically mentions this under 'Useful Reminder' point #2, says this : "Don't replace battery by yourself. If battery broken, please contact professionals."

In any case, one of the first things I did when first received the unit, was to see how easy battery replacement would be, or if it was even possible at all. The screws on the back are incredibly tiny, as in microscopically small. I tried the smallest screw driver I have (and I have many) and can't get the screws to budge. They are so tiny in fact, I can't even really make out whether they require a star or hex screwdriver (though have to admit I do have under-par eyesight, age-related).

Secondly, and related to first point above, as I wouldn't want to risk voiding my warranty. The outer packaging and the flyer inside both have the manufacturer's full address. I was wondering what you guys think about whether it is worth shipping the unit back to them, with an explanation, hopefully for a replacement unit? as my X3 is obviously still under warranty (only 2 weeks old - received on 21st Oct from Amazon). Is this a possibility or even worthwhile...does anyone know of, or has experienced, any instances where this has occurred?

Thanks again for the help so far.

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #877 of 2,617
Well, I'm more lucky than you are, for I have a covenient screwdriver. I happen to not always rely on expensive techs for simple repairs, so I had to equip. I could suggest you to use, for example :
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iFixit-Classic-Pro-Tech-Tool-Roll/IF145-170

Then come the statment "Don't replace battery by yourself. If battery broken, please contact professionals.". Replacing the battery can rise serious questions, mainly for choosing the battery, and the electronic coming with it. But here the point is not to replace the battery, only to disconnect it, wait for a few seconds (I would say at least 30) while trying to switch on the X3, inorder to let all the capacitors release or consume the remaining electricity. Then connecting again the battery, close the player, and start it. The idea behing this move is : maybe your item is in a logical wrong state (software), and cannot leave this through the reset, or the other things you can reach through the various buttons. Making it plain inert by removing any energy source (including releasing capacitors) would force your X3 to fully reboot. If your item has an electronical problem (hardware), this solution is of no use, of course.

Now come the warranty point. When my item was soaked, no warranty would cover me, so it was not a risky move to open it, and do whatever I could to save my X3. I don't think I have seen any seal or anything that would say the X3 had been opened, and the battery disconnected. Hence, I don't think  I could have voided the warranty by opening my X3 (with the notable exception of immerging the item). But I'm not sure of it. Your item is brand new, still covered by warranty. It's safe to do whatever you can, without jeopardizing the warranty, to revive it. Anyhow, I would go for it.

Your choice.
Good luck.

Thezac

Nov 2, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #878 of 2,617
  Well, I'm more lucky than you are, for I have a covenient screwdriver. I happen to not always rely on expensive techs for simple repairs, so I had to equip. I could suggest you to use, for example :
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/iFixit-Classic-Pro-Tech-Tool-Roll/IF145-170

Then come the statment "Don't replace battery by yourself. If battery broken, please contact professionals.". Replacing the battery can rise serious questions, mainly for choosing the battery, and the electronic coming with it. But here the point is not to replace the battery, only to disconnect it, wait for a few seconds (I would say at least 30) while trying to switch on the X3, inorder to let all the capacitors release or consume the remaining electricity. Then connecting again the battery, close the player, and start it. The idea behing this move is : maybe your item is in a logical wrong state (software), and cannot leave this through the reset, or the other things you can reach through the various buttons. Making it plain inert by removing any energy source (including releasing capacitors) would force your X3 to fully reboot. If your item has an electronical problem (hardware), this solution is of no use, of course.

Now come the warranty point. When my item was soaked, no warranty would cover me, so it was not a risky move to open it, and do whatever I could to save my X3. I don't think I have seen any seal or anything that would say the X3 had been opened, and the battery disconnected. Hence, I don't think  I could have voided the warranty by opening my X3 (with the notable exception of immerging the item). But I'm not sure of it. Your item is brand new, still covered by warranty. It's safe to do whatever you can, without jeopardizing the warranty, to revive it. Anyhow, I would go for it.

Your choice.
Good luck.

Thezac

I have a well-stocked toolbox, not too dissimilar to your kit, including a set-of-12 screwdrivers of various sizes that has served me well, until now - finally defeated by the microscopic screws on the X3.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway regarding your point: "If your item has an electronical problem (hardware), this solution is of no use, of course."

This is what I fear the most may have actually happened. I have already sent an email to the manufacturer (email + full address is on the packaging, as I mentioned earlier) to inquire as to whether I might be entitled to a replacement unit (maybe even a refund, I guess). So waiting to see on that front. And so pursuant to that, at the moment I woul;d not attempt any action on the X3 which may jeopardize or void my warranty - even though as you say, you have not seen "any seal or anything that would say the X3 had been opened,"

I suppose I'll be the first to have his xDuoo X3 product replaced under warranty, if that does indeed occur. Unless someone has any anecdotes of a prior incidence of this? Would sure still love to hear about it.

Thanks again, Thezac

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #879 of 2,617

I have a well-stocked toolbox, not too dissimilar to your kit, including a set-of-12 screwdrivers of various sizes that has served me well, until now - finally defeated by the microscopic screws on the X3.
rolleyes.gif

Anyway regarding your point: "If your item has an electronical problem (hardware), this solution is of no use, of course."

This is what I fear the most may have actually happened. I have already sent an email to the manufacturer (email + full address is on the packaging, as I mentioned earlier) to inquire as to whether I might be entitled to a replacement unit (maybe even a refund, I guess). So waiting to see on that front. And so pursuant to that, at the moment I woul;d not attempt any action on the X3 which may jeopardize or void my warranty - even though as you say, you have not seen "any seal or anything that would say the X3 had been opened,"

I suppose I'll be the first to have his xDuoo X3 product replaced under warranty, if that does indeed occur. Unless someone has any anecdotes of a prior incidence of this? Would sure still love to hear about it.

Thanks again, Thezac

I was going to recommend you open it and disconnect the battery earlier as the most likely method to revive your player but I didn't want to encourage you to do something that might void your warranty, and I thought the earlier methods might work. I think if you're careful you won't leave any sign that your player was opened, so, if it was me I would definitely try disconnecting the battery. The screwdriver you need is a T5, they are fairly common as far as very small screw drivers are concerned.

Nov 3, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #880 of 2,617

Quote:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a program to use for the creation of playlists on the Rockboxed xDuoo X3? As a corollary question, is it possible to create a playlist with all files on the device and use that to effect a completely inclusive random shuffle mode?

Regards,
Ian

I use Foobar2000 to build playlists and manage my music (it's great for Replay Gain). The trick is that Foobar will add specific drive letters to the file paths in the M3U/M3U8 playlists, and Rockbox doesn't use those. What's worse, is that Rockbox specifies the Slot 2 card as <microSD1> in a playlist.

While my xDuoo X3 was in a usable state I was quite surprised to discover, serendipitously, that it could actually read and correctly interpret my playlists that I had created using WinAmp (v5.666 Build 3516) - These are files with an .m3u extension, for example Barry-White.m3u. But with one proviso: you have to ensure the file structure on your X3 mirrors or replicates the structure of the files and folders on your PC where you created the playlist. (I am a Windows user so I don't know much about whether same applies on a Mac).

WinAmp has a 'Save Playlist' option on the main File menu (see screenshot Screen-01) that will create an .m3u file in a folder of your choice.

Here's a short excerpt of the how the .m3u file looks in a text editor such as notepad.exe or wordpad.exe on Windows  (you can actually edit this file after it gets generated if you should wish to do so):

#EXTINF:351,Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 01. Beware
C:\Users\vicnsi\Music\Music+MP3\Barry-White\Beware\Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 01. Beware.mp3
#EXTINF:226,Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 02. Relax to the Max
C:\Users\vicnsi\Music\Music+MP3\Barry-White\Beware\Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 02. Relax to the Max.mp3
#EXTINF:359,Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 03. Let Me in and Let's Begin With Love
C:\Users\vicnsi\Music\Music+MP3\Barry-White\Beware\Barry White - Beware! (1981) - 03. Let Me in and Let's Begin With Love.mp3
etc., etc., etc.,

BTW, WinAmp also has a "Generate HTML playlist" command on the "Misc" context menu at the bottom of the playlist window (screenshot Screen-02) that can generate a playlist 'on the fly' based on whatever files are currently loaded into the playlist window.

Screenshot Screen-03 shows what the WinAmp Generated HTML playlistfile looks like in Mozilla Firefox. Of course you can also edit this file, as it is simply pure html.

Screen-01:

Screen-02:

Screen-03:

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:56 AM Post #881 of 2,617
.................... Secondly, and related to first point above, as I wouldn't want to risk voiding my warranty. The outer packaging and the flyer inside both have the manufacturer's full address. I was wondering what you guys think about whether it is worth shipping the unit back to them, with an explanation, hopefully for a replacement unit? as my X3 is obviously still under warranty (only 2 weeks old - received on 21st Oct from Amazon). Is this a possibility or even worthwhile...does anyone know of, or has experienced, any instances where this has occurred?....

I believe that you've already voided the X3 warranty by installing a non-XDUOO firmware... just ask somebody with better eyesight, steadier fingers and with access to proper electronics toolset to open the backcover and to unplug the battery for a couple of minutes... maybe a few droplets of WD40 (or similar) can be added on the screws. While the battery is unplugged there should be several attempts to POWER UP the device so the capacitors will get drained.

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #882 of 2,617
I believe that you've already voided the X3 warranty by installing a non-XDUOO firmware... just ask somebody with better eyesight, steadier fingers and with access to proper electronics toolset to open the backcover and to unplug the battery for a couple of minutes... maybe a few droplets of WD40 (or similar) can be added on the screws. While the battery is unplugged there should be several attempts to POWER UP the device so the capacitors will get drained.

re: "I believe that you've already voided the X3 warranty by installing a non-XDUOO firmware"
I feared this might the case. I suppose I was really hoping someone would tell me this was not an issue.... Bubble busted! Oh well, comme ci comme ça! 
redface.gif

Thanks ashkoy,  I'll have a go at popping the case open and checking the battery once am able to get my hands on a capable screwdriver, as it now seems I have nothing to lose. (Although I continue to wait anxiously for a reply to the email I sent to xDuoo Technology Company.,ltd.)

If worst comes to worst I guess I might even consider paying for another new X3, as it's actually quite affordable...and great value for money (if you take extremely good care of it!!!)

Nov 3, 2016 at 4:22 AM Post #883 of 2,617

re: "I believe that you've already voided the X3 warranty by installing a non-XDUOO firmware"
I feared this might the case. I suppose I was really hoping someone would tell me this was not an issue.... Bubble busted! Oh well, comme ci comme ça! 
redface.gif

Thanks ashkoy,  I'll have a go at popping the case open and checking the battery once am able to get my hands on a capable screwdriver, as it now seems I have nothing to lose. (Although I continue to wait anxiously for a reply to the email I sent to xDuoo Technology Company.,ltd.)

If worst comes to worst I guess I might even consider paying for another new X3, as it's actually quite affordable...and great value for money (if you take extremely good care of it!!!)

just get a very small Torx screwdriver, usually found in a mobile phone repair kit ( can be picked up very cheap on Ebay). Also; do not use WD40 anywhere near your DAP, WD40 can screw up electronics big time!

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #884 of 2,617

If the hardware has failed, would they really spend the time and effort to repair it and then check what kind of firmware was on it?

I sent an email to Xduoo regarding the warranty time on the device.  The response was that it has a "permanent warranty".  I then sent another email about how to organize a warranty RMA and haven't heard any response.  Tomtop initially responded and asked me to make a video of the problem.  It doesn't turn on.  What's the *(&^%ing point of making a video of that? 

I have gone back to using my old Sansa clip.  Is there anything else that is as good as the X3 at a similar price?  If they don't replace it / fix it under warranty, I certainly won't be buying another one.

Nov 3, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #885 of 2,617

redface.gif

You didn't void your warranty by installing Rockbox because the person who ported it to the X3 provides a separate file which is the original bootloader that you can re-install on your player which returns it, after you also delete the .rockbox folder, to the factory state (actually you don't have to delete the .rockbox folder since it's on the memory card and if you return your player you wouldn't return it with a card inside, but the bootloader has to be returned to its original state).

Nevertheless, before you go through the hassle and delay of returning your player, just get yourself a Torx T5 screwdriver and try disconnecting the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back