Rockbox Xduoo X3
Sep 24, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #781 of 2,617
Just a couple of questions about Rockbox on the X3:

1. The "back" button seems to do the things you'd expect the "options" button to do, and vice versa. Not really a problem, but it's a bit odd. Is it a bug?

2. The line out seems quieter than the headphone socket. I'm aware that you now have to turn the volume up, but even then it's still quieter. With my Fiio X1 the line out mode was headphone-destroyingly loud (but perfect for plugging in to my hi-fi), so I'm confused. If the line out isn't louder, what exactly is it for?

Thanks!

(EDIT - I originally put Fiio X3 (I'm also confused by all the Xs))

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #782 of 2,617
If I remember correctly, on earlier models of the X3, the Back and Options buttons were either reversed or labelled differently. This could be a partial reason for the button mapping. At this point, it's muscle memory for me, so I've started ignoring the labels on the machine. Since Rockbox has so many functions, button mapping has always been a little creative.

Line out is there to provide a clear signal to an external amp (without EQ, etc.), so I'm going to assume the top volume of the X3's line out is the loudest it can get without distortion. The Fiio X3 (so many X3s!) may just have a cleaner signal at higher volume levels. For me, the Xduoo X3 has plenty of oomph for most of my headphones, and when it's hooked up to my amp, the amp does the heavy lifting.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #783 of 2,617
  If I remember correctly, on earlier models of the X3, the Back and Options buttons were either reversed or labelled differently. This could be a partial reason for the button mapping. At this point, it's muscle memory for me, so I've started ignoring the labels on the machine. Since Rockbox has so many functions, button mapping has always been a little creative.

Line out is there to provide a clear signal to an external amp (without EQ, etc.), so I'm going to assume the top volume of the X3's line out is the loudest it can get without distortion. The Fiio X3 (so many X3s!) may just have a cleaner signal at higher volume levels. For me, the Xduoo X3 has plenty of oomph for most of my headphones, and when it's hooked up to my amp, the amp does the heavy lifting.

Thanks for that! So playing around with the sound settings will affect the headphone output, but not the line out?

Which brings me to my next question. While everyone's preferences are different with regard to sound settings, is there a best order to adjust them in? For example bass, then treble, then stereo width? It's easy to read the manual and find out what they all do, but which ones are the most important, and which order should you adjust them in?

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #784 of 2,617
  So playing around with the sound settings will affect the headphone output, but not the line out?

Yeah--the line out will not be affected by your sound settings (other than volume, and that's just so you can adjust it for more sensitive equipment).

As for EQ settings, I don't usually use them. When I do, there's a lot of fiddling. I start by cranking everything down a bit, then raising the bass a little, then adjusting the treble, then tweaking the bass some more, then trying to bring the mids up a bit. You get the idea. I'm all over the place, slowly zeroing in on what sounds good to me.

Sadly, when I'm done, my EQ setting isn't much different from no EQ. :/

There isn't a "right" way to adjust the sound. Just keep tweaking bits until you get the sound that makes you smile.

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #786 of 2,617
Regarding the line-out volume.
When I tested the x3 with an external amp, I expected that the volume was fixed and that I should act on the amp, instead I had to step on the player's volume control.
This thing depends on some rockbox settings?

Sep 26, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #787 of 2,617
  Regarding the line-out volume.
When I tested the x3 with an external amp, I expected that the volume was fixed and that I should act on the amp, instead I had to step on the player's volume control.
This thing depends on some rockbox settings?

I checked the datasheet and it looks like the DAC uses on the X3 doesn't have separate line out and headphone volume, instead both are on the same circuit.  I think the audio driver is supposed to detect when something is inserted into the line out jack and then raise the volume to line level.  If that doesn't work, its probably just not implemented yet.  This is actually pretty common on new ports, usually it takes a while for someone to get around to setting little things like that.

Sep 27, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #788 of 2,617

I checked the datasheet and it looks like the DAC uses on the X3 doesn't have separate line out and headphone volume, instead both are on the same circuit.  I think the audio driver is supposed to detect when something is inserted into the line out jack and then raise the volume to line level.  If that doesn't work, its probably just not implemented yet.  This is actually pretty common on new ports, usually it takes a while for someone to get around to setting little things like that.

Earlier, some also mentioned that at 100% line out volume, the performance of the X3 is not very good.
In fact, I have experienced this myself. In the Xduoo FW where LO volume is fixed, I would often clip a portion of my amps.
Since installing RB, I have always kept my LO volume at -25db~-20db for 16~300Ohms earbuds, anything over 300Ohms, I will bump my LO volume to a maximum of -15db. Any louder and the amp will start to clip. 
Suspect that the LO voltage/current of the X3 might just be too high.

Heck the latest Fiio X1 also has adjustable LO   

Oct 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #789 of 2,617
can someone post pictures or video how install rockbox on xduoo 3 please?

i think im doing it right but when i upgrade xduoo3 it freezes on updating dont power off screen i have press reset button and no rockbox is start up, if pictures or video show how to install it double check if i am installing it properly be useful thank you.

found better detailed instructions on reddit how to install rockbox still did not work,.

will not be using making my own folders to use music in

Oct 10, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #790 of 2,617
  On xvtx.ru, in the manual instructions for removal of rockbox are as follows;
To uninstall Rockbox and install Stock firmware please:
1) Download update-back-to-stock.zip to the root of the micro SD-card and rename it to update.zip;
2) Switch to original firmware and run firmware update;
3) Good luck with Stock firmware!

This doesn't seem to work since booting into the original firmware and performing update causes an instant 'NOTICE Suceed' which then boots to Rockbox.

I even tried the Xduoo website download file for V1.1 instead of the 'update to stock' file provided by xvtx, but with the same result.

The reasons I'd like to remove rockbox are (1) it seems an faff to reformat 128GB msd cards to FAT32 (2) funtionality of buttons is changed and I'd rather get used to how the player is supposed to be set up than spend time tweaking it.

Yeah, this is common problem. xDuoo require reboot to apply update, and with RockBox installed it automatically reboots to RockBox after "NOTICE Succeed". The trick is that you have to lock it (hardware switch) after you see that notice, and then xDuoo will boot original firmware and apply the update. Worked to me flawlessly.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #791 of 2,617
I'm about to ask the dumbest question ever.

I used a 32gb sandisk card to install the Rockbox firmware, and it boots up just fine.  I used the formatting tool, set Fat32, and 4096kb allocation, ran update.zip from the gui and it worked flawlessly.

However, when I remove the SD card, and turn it on in the unlocked position, I get "no partition found".

Is that because the Rockbox firmware is running off the .rockbox folder on the root of the SD card.....

...and since I don't plan to keep using the 32gb cards once my two 128gb microsd cards are delivered from Amazon, I essentially just wasted my time...right?

Oct 11, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #792 of 2,617
Someone will speak up if i'm wrong but i think you can copy the rockbox folder from the 32gb card to your new 128gb card, just make sure it goes into the first slot when you are done copying the folder over to it, make sure the 128 is formatted properly as is the 32gb card.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #794 of 2,617
I'm about to ask the dumbest question ever.

I used a 32gb sandisk card to install the Rockbox firmware, and it boots up just fine.  I used the formatting tool, set Fat32, and 4096kb allocation, ran update.zip from the gui and it worked flawlessly.

However, when I remove the SD card, and turn it on in the unlocked position, I get "no partition found".

[COLOR=A52A2A]Is that because the Rockbox firmware is running off the .rockbox folder on the root of the SD card.....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=A52A2A]...and since I don't plan to keep using the 32gb cards once my two 128gb microsd cards are delivered from Amazon, I essentially just wasted my time...right?[/COLOR]

No, you haven't wasted your time... sort of... It's very likely you haven't wasted your time reading through the posts in this thread... Just follow ElKabong510' s advice and everything will be fine :wink:

'No partition found' is because there's no partition to be found once you've removed the uSD card; the Rockbox software is card-resident...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back