Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jun 11, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #496 of 2,617
The DAC can input and process 24bit by 192hz but if you look through a few of my posts a few pages back( I'm lazy) you'll see one of the developers that did the rockbox prove it can not actually output 24bit. I think it can max output 16/48hz

I think the dynamic range tests I saw were more like 17-18 effective bits, so it might be worth trying that, although I think the difference is unlikely to be noticeable.  I don't have a player to test with though so I'm just going by what was posted online.  

At the end of the day there is absolutely no reason a person with a x3 would keep tonally issues for an increase of 1-2 bits of higher resolution.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #497 of 2,617

I think the dynamic range tests I saw were more like 17-18 effective bits, so it might be worth trying that, although I think the difference is unlikely to be noticeable.  I don't have a player to test with though so I'm just going by what was posted online.  

Measurements of the X3 show an SNR around 115dB when playing a 24bit file. This is effectively 19bits. When playing a 16bit file the SNR is around 96dB, exactly what it should be. It's entirely normal for the output at 24bits to have an SNR lower than the theoretical 144dB as it's almost impossible to get the noise floor that low. For comparison, measurements of the iBasso DX80 show an SNR around 112dB with 24bit files. So yes, the X3 is producing 'high-res' output on a par with other audiophile 24bit players.

Does any of this matter? Not in the slightest, as 96dB is all you need.

Jun 18, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #498 of 2,617
Just received my X3 after 15 days.  Played with it on the Kaisers, and missed the parametric eq from Android Neutron.  Downloaded RockBox for the XDuoo X3 from a link referenced here.  The Rockbox site itself doesn't appear to reference this DAP anywhere.

The EQ settings on this firmware are excellent.  I miss the GUI on Neutron, but it's like comparing having a Windowed UI vs a CLI, so no bigee.

Took me awhile to remember that "Q" value could be thought of as the reciprocal of bandwidth

The "System Volume Information" folder is created by Windows when you use the computer USB connection (it's inventory ID, and HD characteristics among other stuff) - delete it.

I wondered about the use of 4K clusters on such a large drive (128 GB).  Even with SSD, that's a TON of housekeeping when manipulating data, like 8 times the amount of the 32K default cluster size.  Probably doesn't matter much on 44.1/16, you start quadrupling the sample rate and the sample size, and with only one I/O path to the RAM, it's not surprising to hear anomalies on hi-res files.

Gonna lurk, and keep up with this thread.  For the $$$$ and its compact size, this is a very good valued DAP.

And thanks a bunch to XVortex.  A donation is on its way.

Thanks,

Steve

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #499 of 2,617
Need some help here. Seems that my RB X3 can only read 1 card which is the card where i had my RB firmware installed in. Whenever i put in my second SD card(With the RB firmware inside as well) it doesn't read. Anything wrong with what i'm doing?

Jun 20, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #504 of 2,617
Have you tried any of the "pre-cut" features included with EQ settings?

Pre-cut.
  1.     If too much positive gain is added through the graphical EQ, your music may distort. The Precut setting allows you to apply a global negative gain to decoded audio, cancelling out positive gain from the EQ. This will prevent distortion when boosting certain frequency ranges, at the expense of making audio quieter.
  2.     Alternatively, precut can be used with a flat EQ curve to implement a volume cap. For example, on a player that allows overdriving the headphone output to +6dB, maximum volume can be capped to +0dB by applying 6dB of precut. Note that precut is not applied if EQ is disabled.

Steve

Jun 25, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #507 of 2,617
Anyone else having auto-pause issues with line out? Using the latest firmware, when I connect the x3 to  an amp through line out and set the volume to 0dB songs pause by themselves after 10-15 seconds. I can not get normal playback unless I go -7dB or below. Lineout works fine on stock firmware. No I do not want to boot up stock fw for doing LO. TIA.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #508 of 2,617
I wasn't able to reproduce the auto-pause issue. I'm on the latest firmware as well, and tried some 320 MP3s and a few FLAC files, but everything played through just fine.

Have you tried resetting the X3 to Rockbox's default configuration? (Save your current configuration first, just in case.)

Jun 26, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #509 of 2,617
Well if I get the X3, rock box looks like the way to go

Jun 28, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #510 of 2,617
Let's talk about haas effect!

I turned that on to 30ms with my VE zen and it sounds incredible. 30ms I way too high for iems though.

What are your guys settings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back