Rockbox for iPOD Video 5th 5.5th mSATA SSD MOD
Oct 24, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #201 of 227
Hi guys!

Kinda new here (but not to the whole iPod modding thing)
:)

I just installed bbrick's latest version on my 5.5G Video with an EVO 540 250 Gb SSD, but I get close to zero battery life, has this been seen before? The percentage literally drops by the second, and it's totally unusable, whereas the iPod seems to work as expected on Apple's OS (despite the obviously shorter battery life compared to a stock HDD).

Note: This very same SSD was installed in a 7G Classic a few weeks before and it worked well.

Edit: Done some more tests

Replaced the iFlash mSATA by an iFlash Quad with two 256 Gb micro SD. Battery drain was exactly the same. So I thought, faulty battery? Contacted the seller, they sent me another one for free and it's exactly the same problem with the new one.

So I put the iFlash Quad and the battery on the Classic (7G) motherboard, and now it seems to work fine.

Weird, no? Is the Video battery consumtion higher than the Classic? Or is my Video Mobo defective? That would be sad :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #203 of 227

Attachments

• rockbox-3.14-msata-patch.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #205 of 227
Hey folks

I've updated and applied the beyondwind patch to the latest 3.14 version code, been running it for a few days now on my 5g w/ 128gb msata and has been working well!
The updated patch is available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i81vHcn8vTvDufmVjFtBKDd-Q1DooKDq
and the compiled code ready for install is available https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KYQqISpGDaGW096Tw_EINKRPeN-vohJX

Enjoy!

Thank you silvervest, but I can't download, I have no Google account. It would be great if you could submit this patch to rockbox.org

Jul 23, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #206 of 227
I can't download, I have no Google account
I made sure the sharing didn't require a Google account - just follow the link and click Download

It would be great if you could submit this patch to rockbox.org
Since this isn't technically my code, I've just modified the code to fit and applied it to the latest release. I don't have enough understanding of how it actually modifies the Rockbox core to fix the mSATA issue to feel comfortable submitting it. As far as I'm aware from reading this thread and others, this code isn't exactly release worthy anyway, which is why it hasn't been mainlined after all these years.

Sep 20, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #208 of 227
I once tried to mod a iphone 3 battery (3mm thick only) for ipod. It worked for a while but then stopped working. it's hard to solder the ipod stock battery ribbon cable to the iphone 3 battery. I am pretty sure it can work and I just didn't get back to it.

I confirm it works, I did that too. I moded ip6s battery (iph7 will fit better as it is even thinner), I cut the original controller from the iPod battery, and soldered it to the IP battery (with its controller removed) observing polarity. It solders not easy but it does. It was a used battery, or not enough capacity otherwise, because it drained very quickly, especially at start-up, it drains the battery dramatically, then it slowly restores, but it may not make it the next startup. From this I conclude, this battery is not enough, I guess that 2 IP batteries will do connected in parallel you you fit them in there.I ended up ordering that 3000ma battery from ebay. Now, its on test. So far so good. Can't tell yet the exact hours though. Tarkan iflash msata adapter was used. Thanks

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #209 of 227
Hi everyone,
I think I have the problem that needs the patch, only I'm not sure how to install it. Here's my current status:
  1. I have a working iPod Video 5.5 30gb in great condition. Windows 10, newest iTunes.
  2. I bought the iFlash msata adapter and a 1TB Samsung Evo850. It works running standard iOS with iTunes.
  3. I replaced the battery (twice) with a 3000maH version. It seems to hold a charge just fine. It's been fully charged.
  4. I formatted the SSD, first with then with NTFS, then later with Fat32.
  5. I restored the iPod with iTunes.
  6. I sync'd 1 album and played it back. Clearly the adapter, battery and motherboard are good.
  7. I sync'd 800gb of ALAC files over to the ipod. They are visible in iTunes, but not surprisingly, the iPod can't show them.
  8. I installed the bootloader, as an admin using ipodpatcher.exe.
  9. I installed Rockbox using the Rockbox Utility 1.4.1 (not including the bootloader).
  10. Back to my nemesis... "No partition found. Insert USB cable and fix it."
  11. The Rockbox moderator concluded: "Rockbox ATA driver can't talk to the disk. You probably don't want to hear this, but the solution here is probably to debug the driver and add support for your device." I don't know programming.
Can anyone please help guide me through this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back