Rockbox for iBasso DX90 dual boot with Mango (Stock Firmware)
May 19, 2015 at 9:18 AM Post #871 of 1,316
Thanks for the great work it has been really magical
beerchug.gif

I have seen this problem raised earlier in this thread but not sure if it is still the case -
With the touchscreen: when it's not on hold and is turned off it still processes touch commands (although only for a couple of seconds), is it normal? Thanks.

May 19, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #872 of 1,316
Thanks for the great work it has been really magical
beerchug.gif

I have seen this problem raised earlier in this thread but not sure if it is still the case -
With the touchscreen: when it's not on hold and is turned off it still processes touch commands (although only for a couple of seconds), is it normal? Thanks.

I was going to fix this for a few times and every time I remembered it is related to ModernUI. We should ask @cholero to confirm this (or not).
As far as I know it happens only after you turn off the screen with power button.

May 20, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #875 of 1,316
May 24, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #876 of 1,316
Hi guys, please forgive me if I'm posting in slightly the wrong place, I'm just doing some initial research on the DX DAPs and can see that they both now seem to support rockbox pretty well (which is very pleasing to hear).
I am an Alien Shozy owner, and am after something else that is around the same ball park in terms of sound, but of course this time with a screen.
Although the Alien supports WAV and FLAC only, and I feel as tho the Alien is the best sounding DAP I have heard to date yet, it doesn't mean I am convinced of the Hi Res 'argument' yet, I'm convinced the Shozy would sound as good with MP3 support.

I hear that the DX50/90 DAPs support 24/192 files, am I right in saying Rockbox won't support these files? Or does it scale them back or something?
I'm guessing that the broader community of the DX/Rockbox combo fans are enjoying the better UI and are not overly fussed over the Hi Res stuff either, in essence their 320kbps MP3 files, or 16 bit FLAC files etc sound just much better on the dx50/90 than on other rockbox supported platforms such as the Sansa Clips etc?

Would this be accurate to say?

May 25, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #877 of 1,316
It depends on the person. A lot of people will say that using mp3 files on the DX90 is blasphemy and that it is meant to be a flac player and better 24/192 flacs than "just" 16/44.

Yes, Rockbox downsamples to 16/48, so no high res can be played with it. Even before I started using Rockbox I wouldn't bother with anything above 16/44 files (I do not here a difference) and most of my music is 320 mp3 or v0. I don't buy into the whole high res music thing and my mp3 files sound excellent on Rockbox and stock firmware as well.

May 25, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #878 of 1,316
  It depends on the person. A lot of people will say that using mp3 files on the DX90 is blasphemy and that it is meant to be a flac player and better 24/192 flacs than "just" 16/44.

Yes, Rockbox downsamples to 16/48, so no high res can be played with it. Even before I started using Rockbox I wouldn't bother with anything above 16/44 files (I do not here a difference) and most of my music is 320 mp3 or v0. I don't buy into the whole high res music thing and my mp3 files sound excellent on Rockbox and stock firmware as well.

I have done a little abx testing and struggled on a PC hearing any difference between FLAC and MP3 320kbps, maybe the difference is more pronounced with a 24/192 file vs 320kbps, I dunno because I have never heard one. I would like to try and see (and I guess that's where stock Mango comes in handy).

I just wanted to hear if the general consensus is that DX90 + Rockbox is essentially the best sounding Rockbox there is to hear (because lets face it, Rb is the best UI there is to date).

Also.. I have a huge craving to see lyrics, I take it that rockbox is still supporting tagged lyrics? Anyone with a tagged file with lyrics care to try (on the dx90 of course...)? Does not have to be .lrc, just txt is fine.

May 25, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #879 of 1,316

I have done a little abx testing and struggled on a PC hearing any difference between FLAC and MP3 320kbps, maybe the difference is more pronounced with a 24/192 file vs 320kbps, I dunno because I have never heard one. I would like to try and see (and I guess that's where stock Mango comes in handy).

I just wanted to hear if the general consensus is that DX90 + Rockbox is essentially the best sounding Rockbox there is to hear (because lets face it, Rb is the best UI there is to date).

Also.. I have a huge craving to see lyrics, I take it that rockbox is still supporting tagged lyrics? Anyone with a tagged file with lyrics care to try (on the dx90 of course...)? Does not have to be .lrc, just txt is fine.

Not sure about lyrics and this is the first time I'm running Rockbox on any device. I am mainly using it for true gapless playback, which stock still struggles with.

Regarding high res tracks, they might sound different but due to remastering, not the higher bit rates. You will find ongoing debates regarding the subject and will have to come to your own conclusions. 

May 25, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #882 of 1,316
For lyrics in Rockbox on DX90 I used lrcplayer plugin. It worked OK with timemarked .lrc files, also worked with unmarked .txt files. Lyrics in tag I not tested.
Manual say, that in lrcplayer working with id3v2 SYLT or USLT tags in mp3 files (only for mp3, no other sound files).

May 25, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #883 of 1,316

Not exactly. There are a few competitors:
Hifiman 801 was perfect and IMO better than DX90, especially modded or with balance or game cards. Discontinued. Extra large. Expensive.
Hifiman 601/602 was good. Some people will say it sounds better than DX90, but it's all about taste. Discontinued.
MA8/9 sound nice, but some people say they sound worse with rockbox. Extra large. Expensive.

May 26, 2015 at 4:53 AM Post #884 of 1,316
  Not exactly. There are a few competitors:
Hifiman 801 was perfect and IMO better than DX90, especially modded or with balance or game cards. Discontinued. Extra large. Expensive.
Hifiman 601/602 was good. Some people will say it sounds better than DX90, but it's all about taste. Discontinued.
MA8/9 sound nice, but some people say they sound worse with rockbox. Extra large. Expensive.

Ok... so it sounds as tho the DX90 is possibly the best 'premium' valued device that can use rockbox?
Of course the Sansa clips are budget and incredibly value friendly, but if you're looking to try something a little more up market, then it's the DX50/90? (At least that's the impression I got).

May 27, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #885 of 1,316
Can I ask another rockbox/dx90 question? Is it possible, as you are listening to a song, say it is a new song that you like, are you able to 'rate it', like give it a star value etc?
It's been so long since I have used a Sansa Clip Rockboxed I have forgotten if this feature is possible or not...
If so, how easy is it to do this? Can it be placed as one of the shortcut buttons?

PS I'm posting here as I'm wondering if Mango can do this also, if not RB. Cheers.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back