Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #391 of 2,020
  wiki is updated:
https://bitbucket.org/isergachev/rockbox/wiki/Home

This looks promising but I do not understand: 
  1. Second, reboot into CWM recovery (power on holding vol+) and install rockbox zip from internal or external SD

I deposited the folders but CWM did not recognize it as an update nor did rebooting do anything...

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #392 of 2,020

1. Second, reboot into CWM recovery (power on holding vol+) and install rockbox zip from internal or external SD

I deposited the folders but CWM did not recognize it as an update nor did rebooting do anything...

It seems first you have to flash the update.img from the Yandex firmware which overwrites the stock recovery with CWM (and a stock recovery zip that can be flashed in CWM to go back to stock).  From there booting into recovery will boot you into CWM, which will then allow you to flash the rockbox zip. Hope this helps!

PS: The other zip files in the directory seem to be sound and font tweaks to mess around with.  All should be CWM flashable, with stock zips provided as well.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #393 of 2,020

Did you install the original firmware with the CWM recovery from doc2008 first? otherwise that wont work.

Mar 25, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #394 of 2,020
As it looks like the Fiio X5 is no longer an option for me thanks to the 7000 file limit, I'm now looking at the DX50 as my main option. Having been a big fan of Rockbox on my previous iRiver and Cowon players, RB on the DX50 really is great news for me. I know most Cowon players were limited to 8000/16000/32000 (depending on the player) files, but that was resolved by flashing over to RB.

Does the DX50, Rockboxed or otherwise, have the same file limitations as the Fiio X5?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #396 of 2,020
  I went ahead and installed it. Everything seems to work fine except that my DX50 no longer show up on my computers when I connect it.

Seen that once and thought that it was my own random problem. Now I see it repeats. Will try to find the reason today.
Returning to original firmware (flash stock recovery from CWM -> then flash original or cwm update.img from original recovery) returns USB if you really need it.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #397 of 2,020
@xzcc, few questions:

With new bootloader do you have to select between rockbox and mango every time when the player is restarted?

What will happened if i simply copy zipped rockbox folder on DX with QtADB?

If i like to install another theme, could i simly copy the correspondent file into the zipped rocksbox, and install?

Thanks.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #398 of 2,020

It seems first you have to flash the update.img from the Yandex firmware which overwrites the stock recovery with CWM (and a stock recovery zip that can be flashed in CWM to go back to stock).  From there booting into recovery will boot you into CWM, which will then allow you to flash the rockbox zip. Hope this helps!

PS: The other zip files in the directory seem to be sound and font tweaks to mess around with.  All should be CWM flashable, with stock zips provided as well.

Did you install the original firmware with the CWM recovery from doc2008 first? otherwise that wont work.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I expect that this is the issue. I will give it a try.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #400 of 2,020
  @xzcc, few questions:

With new bootloader do you have to select between rockbox and mango every time when the player is restarted?

What will happened if i simply copy zipped rockbox folder on DX with QtADB?

If i like to install another theme, could i simly copy the correspondent file into the zipped rocksbox, and install?

Thanks.

Yes. However it will be slow only when you change your choice. Two button combo was too difficult for most users!

Manual install: of course possible, that's the way I do it almost everytime.
But
1) copy not only rockbox folder, bin is important too (new launcher)
2) verify that vold symlink is ok (/system/bin/vold -> /data/vold), see cwm script
3) don't forget to give permissions to executables, see cwm script

Yes, but something is broken for now in cwm install process => it breaks usb somehow.

Mar 25, 2014 at 7:45 AM Post #401 of 2,020
oh man...this is starting to be very very confusing
frown.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #403 of 2,020
  oh man...this is starting to be very very confusing
frown.gif

No...! It's brilliantly simple now. No Android drivers or complications! (I never did get ADB to connect to the DX50.)

1. Install the update.img from FIRMWARE_DOC2008 on the DX50

2. Create a zip file in Windows Explorer incorporating the folders in "cwm_rockbox_2014-03-24_v3" plus any themes and fonts that you want to add.* Name that file Update.zip. (Admittedly "cwm_rockbox_2014-03-24_v3" is no longer available because of a bug they need to fix but its replacement will be available soon I am sure)  

3. Install Update.zip on the DX50 internal storage or external SD card

4. Do a recovery boot (volume up plus power) and choose to install Update.zip

5. Reboot

Huzzah! I have the Cabbie Classic theme running in Rockbox on the DX50. Life is good.  
biggrin.gif

*You have to go deep inside the System folder to find the Rockbox subfolders for Themes, Fonts etc. 

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #404 of 2,020
You and me both Karloil! I've downloaded and tried to install ADB drivers with one giving an error that it's not x64 compatible. Another I had to force the Samsung driver onto the android device but Qtadb still refuses to recognise the DX50.

I think I'll just have to satisfy myself that RB will use the default cabbie theme.

On the other hand I had no trouble with the double button to dual boot!

Mar 25, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #405 of 2,020
  Yes. However it will be slow only when you change your choice. Two button combo was too difficult for most users!

Manual install: of course possible, that's the way I do it almost everytime.
But
1) copy not only rockbox folder, bin is important too (new launcher)
2) verify that vold symlink is ok (/system/bin/vold -> /data/vold), see cwm script
3) don't forget to give permissions to executables, see cwm script

Yes, but something is broken for now in cwm install process => it breaks usb somehow.

Where do i find cwm script?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back