Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #361 of 2,020

I never encounter any bugs yet. The latest version solves many of the stock FW's nagging issues plus the all the goodies that comes along with RB.

Themes I tried so far the works well.

iPodWidgets
CenterArt
FSM.

Basically, you can try any themes made for a 320x240 screen resolution. That means most iPod classic themes. But not everything works with DX50. Some needs a few tinkering to make it work.

Ah I see! Well that's good to hear that it's running well now, and hopefully we'll have some tweakers to have some themes up and running specifically for the DX50. I haven't been in this thread, but has anyone modded the themes/UI so it works with touch functionality? (Although touch isn't something that concerns all too much - I can easily do without)

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #362 of 2,020
I don't think that there are bugs per se but there are a couple of limitations from the DX50 having so few controls:

1. In the File Browser, to return to the While Playing Screen (WPS) you first have to use the Power/Back key to access the Main Menu, so
   a) you cannot go directly to the WPS (one extra unnecessary step), and
   b) that Back action forces you up one folder so that you lose your place in the original folder when you later return to the File Browser (this can be quite annoying)

2. There is no button to turn off the backlight and lock the screen. Therefore every time you do an action, you have to wait for the backlight time-out for the touch screen to lock.
   - making this worse is that the DX50 buttons, such as Forward, turn on the backlight and therefore unlock the touch screen.

These aren't huge complaints but they are definite imperfections.

These issues could be greatly resolved if:

I)  The Power/Back button took you directly from the File Browser to the WPS without bumping you up a folder and going to the Main Menu. (You can then go into the Main Menu from the WPS if you want to)

II)  The DX50 buttons did not turn on the backlight and unlock the touch screen

Overall though I am very pleased with rockbox on the DX50.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #363 of 2,020
The biggest limitation, to me, is the slow scrolling speed, which is probably due to the single-core CPU. The DX90 should handle it a lot better... assuming Rockbox gets ported to it as well.

I'd love to see a DX50 Mk2 down the road with a dual-core CPU and (wishing) an improved amp section.

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #364 of 2,020
There are several annoyances from the stock FW which is resolved or works better on Rockbox.

To name a few,

1. Gapless playback, the stock FW never got it working properly.

2. Playlist management. I never bothered setting up playlist on stock FW. It is very limited.

3. EQ. I set everything to 0dB. But at a limited time I played with it, it works much better than the stock FW.

4. I like the fade in/out when you pause/play the currently playing song. It gives just a short delay to let your ears normalize to the sound level. Especially when you set it at loud volume. The stock FW, gives you sudden a jolt feeling, when you resume a song.

5. Support for themes in Rockbox makes DX50 now fun to play with. It never gets boring looking at the screen.

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #365 of 2,020
  I don't think that there are bugs per se but there are a couple of limitations from the DX50 having so few controls:

1. In the File Browser, to return to the While Playing Screen (WPS) you first have to use the Power/Back key to access the Main Menu, so
   a) you cannot go directly to the WPS (one extra unnecessary step), and
   b) that Back action forces you up one folder so that you lose your place in the original folder when you later return to the File Browser (this can be quite annoying)

2. There is no button to turn off the backlight and lock the screen. Therefore every time you do an action, you have to wait for the backlight time-out for the touch screen to lock.
   - making this worse is that the DX50 buttons, such as Forward, turn on the backlight and therefore unlock the touch screen.

These aren't huge complaints but they are definite imperfections.

These issues could be greatly resolved if:

I)  The Power/Back button took you directly from the File Browser to the WPS without bumping you up a folder and going to the Main Menu. (You can then go into the Main Menu from the WPS if you want to)

II)  The DX50 buttons did not turn on the backlight and unlock the touch screen

Overall though I am very pleased with rockbox on the DX50.

Have you tried short tapping the upper right corner (in 3x3 grid mode) to alternate between file browsing (external and database) from your last location and the now playing screen?

Mar 22, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #366 of 2,020
Dumb question time...

I used Rockbox on a Ipod Classic and now on my DX50. Is there no way to connect to the file system other than this totally confusing (for an old f4rt like me) adb? IIRC tha ipod just gave an option when booting to Rockbox if the cable was attached to go to the FS and from there I could use Windows Explorer to copy across files, playlists and themes. I downloaded and ran a adb.exe file but all I saw was the command window open and close quickly. All these other instructions for editing and loading ini files and finding drivers is too much for my impatience.

Is there a simple windows based way to copy themes and playlist which are my main interest in accessing the file system? Is it as simple as loading the correct android/usb driver (which my system says is not loaded)? If so, can someone point me to the file?

Thanks for any guidance provided...

PS Sorry if you think I should just stick to standard systems but life's too short for going back to command-line DOS like systems this day and age.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #367 of 2,020
  There are several annoyances from the stock FW which is resolved or works better on Rockbox.

To name a few,

1. Gapless playback, the stock FW never got it working properly.

2. Playlist management. I never bothered setting up playlist on stock FW. It is very limited.

3. EQ. I set everything to 0dB. But at a limited time I played with it, it works much better than the stock FW.

4. I like the fade in/out when you pause/play the currently playing song. It gives just a short delay to let your ears normalize to the sound level. Especially when you set it at loud volume. The stock FW, gives you sudden a jolt feeling, when you resume a song.

5. Support for themes in Rockbox makes DX50 now fun to play with. It never gets boring looking at the screen.

One more: the lag when you press any of the three buttons. This bothered me the most for some reason.

And I truely like the EQ. I've saved many EQ settings for different headphones/genres/modes. It is as convenient at using foobar now.

The power/back button still doesn't bring me to the WPS screen but it is not that bad an issue to me since I just need to tap the screen two more times.

The lock screen is something I wish for. Now I just slide the lock switch and put it in my pocket but it is not easy to press the next button without taking it out.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #368 of 2,020
  The biggest limitation, to me, is the slow scrolling speed, which is probably due to the single-core CPU. The DX90 should handle it a lot better... assuming Rockbox gets ported to it as well.

I'd love to see a DX50 Mk2 down the road with a dual-core CPU and (wishing) an improved amp section.

In most cases I don't need a faster scrolling, except when I am setting freqency of a higher EQ band. I tried to set the scroll speed to max (17) and it did help some.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #369 of 2,020
  One more: the lag when you press any of the three buttons. This bothered me the most for some reason.

And I truely like the EQ. I've saved many EQ settings for different headphones/genres/modes. It is as convenient at using foobar now.

The power/back button still doesn't bring me to the WPS screen but it is not that bad an issue to me since I just need to tap the screen two more times.

The lock screen is something I wish for. Now I just slide the lock switch and put it in my pocket but it is not easy to press the next button without taking it out.

True the buttons are more responsive compared to the stock FW. TBH, I like the way the power/back button as it is implemented now. Going back to the main menu from the WPS is sometimes a hit or miss if you tap on the screen.

Yeah if there is a way to just lock the screen but keep the buttons active, it would be great controlling DX50 inside a pocket/bag. But I got used to reaching at the lock switch first before pressing any buttons so it's not a big deal right now for me.

Mar 22, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #370 of 2,020

Have you tried short tapping the upper right corner (in 3x3 grid mode) to alternate between file browsing (external and database) from your last location and the now playing screen?

I can get to the File Browser by tapping the top right of the WPS but I cannot do the same to get back. (The 3x3 grid does not work in the File Browser.) I have to use the Back key which bumps me up a folder.

The DX50 just does not have as many available buttons as the iPod Classic so that creates some compromises for button commands. It's not a biggie. Roclbox is working very well.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #371 of 2,020
  Dumb question time...

I used Rockbox on a Ipod Classic and now on my DX50. Is there no way to connect to the file system other than this totally confusing (for an old f4rt like me) adb? IIRC tha ipod just gave an option when booting to Rockbox if the cable was attached to go to the FS and from there I could use Windows Explorer to copy across files, playlists and themes. I downloaded and ran a adb.exe file but all I saw was the command window open and close quickly. All these other instructions for editing and loading ini files and finding drivers is too much for my impatience.

Is there a simple windows based way to copy themes and playlist which are my main interest in accessing the file system? Is it as simple as loading the correct android/usb driver (which my system says is not loaded)? If so, can someone point me to the file?

Thanks for any guidance provided...

PS Sorry if you think I should just stick to standard systems but life's too short for going back to command-line DOS like systems this day and age.

If you install ADB, ADB driver, and QtADB, than you can work with files on ROCKbox-ed DX50 in QtADB window similar to windows commander. On one side you see PC files, on other is files on DX50.

Mar 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #372 of 2,020
Could someone please explain what exactly is the difference between the two touchscreen settings: Absolute point and 3x3 grid, on WPS and menu. Thanks.

Mar 23, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #373 of 2,020
Could someone please explain what exactly is the difference between the two touchscreen settings: Absolute point and 3x3 grid, on WPS and menu. Thanks.

Absolute point works like a smartphone or tablet screen: where you touch is where something happens.

3x3 grid turns the screen into a grid of 9 buttons. The center of the grid is select/enter. Left and right from center are left and right (for example, previous track/next track). Up and down from center are up and down (for example, scrolling through menus). Upper left corner is the home screen. I don't remember off-hand what the other corners do because I don't use them. They should be documented in the manual.

Mar 23, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #374 of 2,020
I don't have the exact filename but you need to add DX50's device ID (you can get it under USB devices on System Properties) to something like android_usb.ini file.

EDIT:
You need to add the vendor ID (hex code 0x???) for your DX50 to this file.

~/.android/adb_usb.ini

I have an iMac. Have got ADB and Fastboot installed into the user/bin folder. When I run ADB devices - no device is found. I have ejected the DX50 which I assume is what you meant by "unmount".

I found the vendor ID but can't find the ADB_usb.ini file in which to put it. I read somewhere that I might need to create it but I have no idea where to put it. ( I couldn't find the ".android" folder either).

(I haven't downloaded the ADB SDK because I don't think I need to but is that the cause of my problem).

Mar 23, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #375 of 2,020
Absolute point works like a smartphone or tablet screen: where you touch is where something happens.

3x3 grid turns the screen into a grid of 9 buttons. The center of the grid is select/enter. Left and right from center are left and right (for example, previous track/next track). Up and down from center are up and down (for example, scrolling through menus). Upper left corner is the home screen. I don't remember off-hand what the other corners do because I don't use them. They should be documented in the manual.

Thank you @ratinox, I found that in manual for cowon D2, but I think that DX reacts on the WPS the same if there is 3x3 grid or absolute point select in settings, or i am doing something wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back