Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #347 of 2,020
penchant, I also used to enjoy AluminArt on the iPod Classic.

Question: Does it have the full touch functionality on the Now Playing screen? Did you add that to the WPS file?

Generally how are people dealing with WPS touch functions with new themes? 

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #348 of 2,020
  Same setup here mate. I have tried a couple of amps with DX50 and the 6SMKII brings out the best out of DX50. I like the O2 which has is somewhat similar, but the dimension clearly make the Leckerton a better choice.

Did I get you right there with DIY ciem which you "did-it-youself") or is it a reshell of a uiem with a custom shel like what UM does?

A little off topic but...

I started from sketch. The place I work happens to have all tools and equipments I need (this is very rare I know and I don't work for a CIEM company), and I am free to use whatever I need, so I thought maybe I can just make one pair by myself.

The shells are actually not that hard to make. It took quite some time to make them fit though. The drivers are not difficult to mount either. I just pour some epoxy glue in and cure the sound tubes and the bottom half of drivers in place. The most difficult part is the crossover. I am not good at soldering for sure and in my design there are 7 surface mount resistors and capacitors to be put together... It came out very ugly but fortunately they fit the shell.

It took quite some effort than I had expected but I am very happy with the result. I used one CL for bass, a twin DTEC for mids and a pair of TWFK for highs. It sounds very clean, detailed and balanced, just a little to the warm side. The good thing is I can tune the sound to whatever I liked. I purposely set the bass driver several dB higher. Whenever I want less bass, I just put a small piece of cotton in that low freq sound tube.

Oh I love my baby...

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #349 of 2,020
  penchant, I also used to enjoy AluminArt on the iPod Classic.

Question: Does it have the full touch functionality on the Now Playing screen? Did you add that to the WPS file?

Generally how are people dealing with WPS touch functions with new themes?

cooperpwc, I didn't do anything to that part and found it functions the same way as the original theme: 3x3 grid as you have known. All themes I've tried on DX50 work the same way. I think these touch functions are build into the firmware and is independent of custom themes. You may need to confirm with xzcc on this.

Mar 21, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #350 of 2,020
  Just for your reference, these are issues I had and solutions I found:

·     [size=7pt]     [/size]ADB doesn’t find DX50. Most likely the driver is not properly installed, or as Headwhacker has pointed out, you need to do something to that adb_usb.ini file. I had no such a file at all after driver installation and I had to create one by myself under C:/user/xxxx/.android and add DX50’s VID (0x2207) in it. Just put these numbers in and you don’t need anything else. You can have some descriptions starting from a # if you’d like to.

Hope this could help.

How do you create the file?

Mar 21, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #351 of 2,020
  cooperpwc, I didn't do anything to that part and found it functions the same way as the original theme: 3x3 grid as you have known. All themes I've tried on DX50 work the same way. I think these touch functions are build into the firmware and is independent of custom themes. You may need to confirm with xzcc on this.

Very useful to know. Thanks!

I still have not broken into my Rockboxed DX50 but I am working on it...  :)

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #354 of 2,020
  A little off topic but...

I started from sketch. The place I work happens to have all tools and equipments I need (this is very rare I know and I don't work for a CIEM company), and I am free to use whatever I need, so I thought maybe I can just make one pair by myself.

The shells are actually not that hard to make. It took quite some time to make them fit though. The drivers are not difficult to mount either. I just pour some epoxy glue in and cure the sound tubes and the bottom half of drivers in place. The most difficult part is the crossover. I am not good at soldering for sure and in my design there are 7 surface mount resistors and capacitors to be put together... It came out very ugly but fortunately they fit the shell.

It took quite some effort than I had expected but I am very happy with the result. I used one CL for bass, a twin DTEC for mids and a pair of TWFK for highs. It sounds very clean, detailed and balanced, just a little to the warm side. The good thing is I can tune the sound to whatever I liked. I purposely set the bass driver several dB higher. Whenever I want less bass, I just put a small piece of cotton in that low freq sound tube.

Oh I love my baby...

Interesting. It sounds very good then I guess. No, it's much better than $1K ciems coz I suppose it didn't cost as much but your time.

I need to learn the molding process, maybe I'll try this myself in the future. Thanks

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #355 of 2,020

Interesting. It sounds very good then I guess. No, it's much better than $1K ciems coz I suppose it didn't cost as much but your time.

I need to learn the molding process, maybe I'll try this myself in the future. Thanks

It costed me about $350 for parts and materials, and three months to put them together and tune them up. The acrylic shell needs UV curing and might not be available for many. You can use some other materials instead and manually make a shell. Or you can start with silicone but then you have to make it solid. Any way, believe me, it's a lot of fun.

Mar 22, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #356 of 2,020
  It costed me about $350 for parts and materials, and three months to put them together and tune them up. The acrylic shell needs UV curing and might not be available for many. You can use some other materials instead and manually make a shell. Or you can start with silicone but then you have to make it solid. Any way, believe me, it's a lot of fun.

It does sounds fun, a lot of work for sure. But given the build time is almost the same as getting yours from established ciem manufacturers, DIY maybe the best way to go to get exactly what you want. Hmmnn, better start my research now. Thanks again.

Mar 22, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #357 of 2,020

Very interesting.
Have you considered detailing your approach over in the DIY CIEM's thread? ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/430688/home-made-iems ).
I for one would be fascinated re' the nuts and bolts of your process
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #359 of 2,020
  Looks like Rocbox is stable to use now with little to no bugs?:)

Any question...What themes are you guys using for the DX50? iPod Video themes?

It is stable with little bug (for example, clock not working; database not working; when you press power button in setting page, it should switch to menu page, but it switch back to setting page immediately.)

I'm using AluminArt with some modification (changed backdrops, changed the font type in wps to 12-Unifont(RFC+UNIFONT))

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #360 of 2,020
  Looks like Rocbox is stable to use now with little to no bugs?:)

Any question...What themes are you guys using for the DX50? iPod Video themes?

I never encounter any bugs yet. The latest version solves many of the stock FW's nagging issues plus the all the goodies that comes along with RB.

Themes I tried so far the works well.

iPodWidgets
CenterArt
FSM.

Basically, you can try any themes made for a 320x240 screen resolution. That means most iPod classic themes. But not everything works with DX50. Some needs a few tinkering to make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back