Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Aug 31, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #1,142 of 2,020
While using the latest rockbox 08-27,

i cant get the new dual-boot mechanism (Hold-Switch enables boot-selector, otherwise last player is booted) to work.

when i power up while the lock is on, it still go directly to rockbox, no boot selector.

Iam dual booting 1.5.0 + latest rockbox with cholero mods

Am i doing something wrong ?

will resetting from mango help ?

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,147 of 2,020
If nothing helps, take the MangoPlayer (which is the boot selector) from the zip 06-30 from the bitbucket page and replace it in the 08-27 zip and install the whole thing again.
Edit: This will bring you back the classic boot mode and prompt you every time.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #1,148 of 2,020
Well i don't use mango player at all but i faced a problem where mango helped, will tell you about it may be you faced it before.

I have a sandisk 128 gb microsd, after modifying it by deleting some songs through rockbox, it was somehow locked.

whenever i connect it to pc through a card reader or a sdcard, it always said writing on the card is locked, i even tried to play with the switch on the sdcard, but still locked.

this was only solved by connecting it through mango where i can normally copy to and delete from the sdcard.

Aug 31, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #1,149 of 2,020
Well i don't use mango player at all but i faced a problem where mango helped, will tell you about it may be you faced it before.

I have a sandisk 128 gb microsd, after modifying it by deleting some songs through rockbox, it was somehow locked.

whenever i connect it to pc through a card reader or a sdcard, it always said writing on the card is locked, i even tried to play with the switch on the sdcard, but still locked.

this was only solved by connecting it through mango where i can normally copy to and delete from the sdcard.

I don't know if it related to this, but I had to replace my uSD 64GB recently because it was suddenly read only. I have tried everything withot success and now I've sent it back to sandisk.
It got readonly locked when I was copying songs to it from computer while player was booted to rockbox.

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #1,150 of 2,020
Dualboot works fine on my DX50 also with the latest rockbox 08-27 (using the lock function during boot up).
Yes, I use EQ too boost the bass. The EQ on Rockbox is much better than on Mango.
Rockbox EQ starts were Mango has already finished
biggrin.gif

The EQ on Mango is very limited and when used the soundstage is smaller.
Also I like to use crossfeed and compressor (-3 dB).

Well, what can I say about the "click sound"?  It doesn't blast my eardrums but it is absolutely borderline.
Therfor I usually start the player first before I insert the IEMs. Would be great in case that the click sound at start up would be at the same level as during shut down.

Sep 1, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #1,151 of 2,020
The click is hardware related but somehow it is possible to make it softer because on Mango it is.
So for you it is less comfortable that I've moved the headphone-relay-click from startup to "start playback" because now you have to wait longer now, start the music first, before connecting the earphones.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #1,152 of 2,020
Yes, absolutely! For me it is less comfortable that get the click with "start playback". So currently I use auto resume/playback at start up.
Personally I prefer to have the click noise just after start up. Then I plug in my IEM and start the music.

Sep 1, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #1,153 of 2,020
Ok thanks, I did not think of a disadvantage of this modification so far. I will keep that in mind.

The click has to come from the output capacitors because they are discharged. When power goes on, the level of the output amp is lifted to the middle voltage between the amp supply (9V) and GND (0V), around 4.5V. The caps have to be charged because the headphones will be connected to GND and we don't want to have 4.5V DC on our headphones. The charging of the capacitors is done by an internal resistor i guess, but it is very slow. As soon as the headphones are connected (click at playback), they will charge the caps very quickly but this is neither good for low impedance headphones nor your ears. So I think that you have the same effect when you connect your earphones right after startup (after the click).
So here is my old picture again:

I think this schematic is not correct but one day I will open the player to see how it really is (I work with electronics every day, so I'm not afraid of damaging anything). I think that there could be a simple possibility to add a lower Resistor to charge the output caps quickly. The relay has 3 connectors (not 2 like in the picture): "com", "no" and "nc" and if iBasso was smart, they connected the capacitor to the "com" and a resistor could be connected to the "nc" pin of the relay to gnd. I will write when I know more.

Sep 1, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #1,154 of 2,020
Thanks for the hint. To avoid the click noise I switched from "resume playback" to "main menu". So I avoid the click noise in general as long as I wait some seconds before I start the playback.

Sep 2, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #1,155 of 2,020
This morning i had an awfull experience: my Westone UM2 iems seems to die on me. The sound caming out of the UM2 was low in volume en muffled. The iems are clean and i fitted them as usual. The left side came suddenly back to life, but the right side is still low in volume en muffled. I always take great care of my equipment and nothing has happened to the iems.
I wondered then: could the "click" when starting RB be a reason. I haven't installed the newest firmware from Cholera, so i experience still the loud click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back