Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Jul 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #961 of 2,020

It used the RKBatchtool. This should be the short steps I did.

1. Download the RKbatchtool http://www.freak-tab.de/freaktab/Rockchip_Batch_Tool_v1.7.rar

2. download the latest 1.5 FW with CWM recovery and the latest Rockbox.zip file. (You can get that from the first page of this thread.)

3. Use the RKbatcktool to flash the update.img file from the 1.5.0 FW with CWM recovery.

4. Boot the normal iBasso FW and copy the rockbox.zip file to DX90 internal storage.

5. Boot into CWM recovery mode and install the rockbox.zip file.

I guess what I'm asking is how do you utilize the RKbatchtool to flash the update?  If I read this correctly there are 3 files to download, not just two?

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #962 of 2,020
  there.
It is a very brief installation instruction and there are all the sources and bugtracker and so on. If you install rockbox you will have dualboot, OF <-> RB
You can alway go back to OF only.

This is still not working for me.  Somebody please help....

I tried unzipping the files and installing that way.  That didn't work.  I also tried to install without unzipping just to see if that would make a difference.  I came closer with the unzipped files however the mess of options after that are exceedingly confusing.  According to the instructions it just says install the rb firmware.  I'm not even sure exactly what the step by step process is of that, and I have scoured the pages for some sort of directions.  I know this is tedious, but some of us are just not ahead of the curb with this sort of stuff.  This is flying right over my head...

Jul 13, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #963 of 2,020
On which step are you stuck exactly?
If you are on an official Firmware follow the instructions of the link on the first post (bitbucket). Rkbatchtool is not necessary, it is only a handy tool for direct flashing.

If you don't know how to go to stock recovery -> switch on device with power & vol+ hold down until recovery appears
If you don't know where to put the Firmware with CWM recovery included -> to the base of your uSD. Only 1 file, not zipped, name: update.img

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #964 of 2,020
So basically the update image file is put right into the rock box file? Then after that I put the whole thing into the SD card (not internal memory). Also the rock box file has to be renamed update.IMG?

Jul 13, 2014 at 6:24 AM Post #965 of 2,020
So basically the update image file is put right into the rock box file? Then after that I put the whole thing into the SD card (not internal memory). Also the rock box file has to be renamed update.IMG?

No, first you need update.IMG which is the official firmware with CWM recovery instead of stock recovery. This file you have to put to your SD card, reboot to the stock recovery (vol+ while power on). In stock recovery there is an entry like "firmware upgrade" or similar. If you select this, the firmware will be overwritten with the upgrade.img -> just official Firmware 1.5.0 but not with stock recovery but with CWM recovery.
Now you need the zipped rockbox file on your internal storage or on uSD card. If you have it, boot to CWM (power on with vol+ & power button always pressed). In cwm you will have to navigate with touchscreen (swipe up/swipe down, power-> select, vol+ -> back). In cwm you have to select something like install zip from SD card, then select install from external SD card, then select your rockboxvzip file and scroll down to yes (there are around 10 "no" in top of the yes). Then you should be able to reboot and should have the selector Mango <-> Rockbox

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:32 AM Post #966 of 2,020
No, first you need update.IMG which is the official firmware with CWM recovery instead of stock recovery. This file you have to put to your SD card, reboot to the stock recovery (vol+ while power on). In stock recovery there is an entry like "firmware upgrade" or similar. If you select this, the firmware will be overwritten with the upgrade.img -> just official Firmware 1.5.0 but not with stock recovery but with CWM recovery.
Now you need the zipped rockbox file on your internal storage or on uSD card. If you have it, boot to CWM (power on with vol+ & power button always pressed). In cwm you will have to navigate with touchscreen (swipe up/swipe down, power-> select, vol+ -> back). In cwm you have to select something like install zip from SD card, then select install from external SD card, then select your rockboxvzip file and scroll down to yes (there are around 10 "no" in top of the yes). Then you should be able to reboot and should have the selector Mango <-> Rockbox

Ok good, I was starting to wonder about all those "nos" it threw me off.  I guess the main confusion I'm going through is with the first part with the update.img.  That's screwing me up somehow.  Currently my Ibasso is on 1.5 fw, do I still need to install the update.img file?  Also, when I'm rebooting to the stock recovery am I overriding the old stock fw or overriding the 1.5 fw?  
What does CWM stand for?  

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM Post #967 of 2,020
You need to update to get CWM (ClockWork Mod, an open source(?) recovery for android)
The rest of the img file is the same as stock firmware.
You need cwm because it has more possibilities than stock recovery (like for example flashing system apps as we need it for rockbox).

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #968 of 2,020
You need to update to get CWM (ClockWork Mod, an open source(?) recovery for android)
The rest of the img file is the same as stock firmware.
You need cwm because it has more possibilities than stock recovery (like for example flashing system apps as we need it for rockbox).

Since my device is already on 1.5 fw, I'm going to then assume that I already have CWM installed on it?   If that's the case then my next step would be to the rockbox zip file installation process you mentioned?  

Jul 13, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #969 of 2,020
The firmware from iBasso does not have cwm, it has a recovery everyone calles stock recovery. So a nice Russian guy made a modded firmware with cwm included. This nodded firmware is linked on the bitbucket page. If you don't know which recovery you have: stock recovery has, as I think, only 3 entries and does not react on touchscreen, cwm has more entries and reacts on swip up/down actions

Jul 13, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #970 of 2,020
I think I may have it already.  I tried this all before, became a muddled mess for me and I ran back to the normal UI.  I'm ready to dive back into RB but I wanted to make sure I did it all right this time so that I'm able to maximize all of its features and benefits.   I think I must have it because when I am in the "blue screen" mode I'm able to swipe up and down the menu selections.  I must have installed it in the past somehow....?  *shrugs*  

I'm going to first assume I did and try the RB installation next.  If this does not work I'm not sure where to go next.  I think I already did all of these steps.  I'm on a long road of discovery.  I still need to figure out how to "flash" system apps.  I don't even know where to begin with that part.  

Jul 13, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #974 of 2,020
Thank you for your feedback, I'm happy that I'm not the only one using it. But in general about the rockbox only build: I wouldn't mind to have mango installed too, but I don't like to select what I want to boot every time. I proposed to xzcc to modify the dualboot mechanism to boot to the last booted playervif you don't interrupt startup. The selector should only appear if you have hold switch "on" or so. But he didn't like the idea much to have this as default behavior. Maybe I will try to build the selector app and do this modification because I would prefer it for me over the rockbox-only build.
And: all credits go to xzcc, he made the whole port!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back