Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
May 13, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #736 of 2,020
You have to turn off the database statistics. It is a bug in the DX50 rockbox build.

Thanks, that worked
smile.gif

May 13, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #737 of 2,020
The file paths exported from MediaMonkey don't match up with file paths on DX50. Getting it right isn't hard:

- Select a directory and add everything in it to a playlist, and save the playlist.
- Connect DX50 to your host computer and look at this saved playlist file. This is what Rockbox expects.
- Edit your exported playlist file so that the paths match up.

Just did that and compared. The file paths for the M3U8s are in Unix style (with /) on the DX50, and Windows style (H:\filepath) from Rockbox. Might be a bit of a challenge. Ctrl-H will be my friend!

Can an M3U file be read as an M3U8 if I change the extension? 

Thanks for the suggestion! 
smile.gif

May 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #738 of 2,020
Hi all, 
My DX50 wouldn't recognise any new files no matter how often I initialised the database (linked correctly) so I reinstalled RockBox.
Now when I boot up the screen fades to black almost immediately, too fast for me to look into the settings. I can't then do anything apart from turn it off.
Has anyone come across this? and if so what did you do?
Thanks for any help
GC

UPDATE. 
Fixed.
Must have been a corrupt Zip. I started again and it seems fine.

May 17, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #739 of 2,020
That was an error message from the party that ported Rockbox to the DX50. Something is corrupted in your install.

If necessary (and it probably is) do a full uninstall: 
  1. uninstall
  2. 1) use cwm to return to stock recovery (stock_recovery.zip from package you downloaded before)
  3. 2) use stock recovery to flash any update.img

Then start all over again. 

Just thought I would say thanks. Having got a DX90, I am selling the DX50 and couldn't get it to recognise the original firmware until I had installed the stock recovery file:xf_eek:

May 18, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #740 of 2,020
  Welcome to the DX50 addicted! 

For me the instruction that evilhippie wrote worked great:

"1) Download the FIRMWARE_DOC2008.zip file from http://yadi.sk/d/UbPDGP_IKvVCA .  Inside you will find a number of zip files, and an update.img file.  Ignore the zips for now, and copy the update.img to your DX50s internal memory and install it as you would any other official firmware update.  Go to settings -> advanced -> system update.  The dx50 will automatically reboot into ibasso's recovery and install the modified update.img.   Essentially, this update.img is exactly the same as the stock firmware, except ibasso's recovery is replaced by CWM (both of which are booted into by holding power + volume on startup).  Note: Since the firmware file is about 10mb bigger than stock and contains a custom recovery, it will take a minute or so longer to finish the install.  If you haven't already copied the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip to the internal memory, reboot back into the main software and do so now.

2)  Boot into recovery again after the update is completed (holding down power + volume up on boot).  You should see a new recovery menu with an orange eye and a top hat in the center.  The bottom should read CWM-Based recovery modified by androtab.info v6.0.3.1.  Now you select Install zip from sdcard, select choose zip from sd card (unlock button up and down), and select the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip (mirror at mega.nz) file.  It will then ask to confirm the install.  Scroll down and select yes, and CWM will install the zip.  When finished, return and select reboot the system.

3)  Next time you start the dx50, you will get a touchscreen with a choice of whether to launch into mango (the stock player) or rockbox.  At the moment, you must launch into the stock player if you want to transfer files over usb.

4)  If you want to uninstall CWM and go back to the stock recovery, simply flash the stock_recovery.zip file in CWM and the original ibasso recovery will be restored.  I'm not quite sure what the other files are, but they seem to be sound tweaks which are also flashable in CWM, and one of the file contains font tweaks, possibly for rockbox."

Give it a try, step for step, it can't go wrong.

One quick question about the above instructions for installing the latest version:

Step 2 says: "Now you select Install zip from sdcard."  However, Step 1 says to copy both the update.img file and the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip file to the INTERNAL memory. 

Is that an error in Step 2?  Should it say "Now you select Install.zip from internal memory"? 

Just want to be sure before I upgrade. 

May 18, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #741 of 2,020

One quick question about the above instructions for installing the latest version:

Step 2 says: "Now you select Install zip from sdcard."  However, Step 1 says to copy both the update.img file and the cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip file to the INTERNAL memory. 

Is that an error in Step 2?  Should it say "Now you select Install.zip from internal memory"? 

Just want to be sure before I upgrade. 

I guess you're right with that. Probably you can put it on your internal memory or your sd card and use it both ways.  

May 18, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #743 of 2,020
Hello Everyone,
only one quick update to my modded theme, I'm releasing here probably the last version of the modded rayboradio theme for Rockbox Targets 320x240.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/436ttl

changes to 7.3c1
- version 7.3c2
- Touchscreen buttons left/right have more space
- Touchscreen scrolling up/down is now repetitive if you keep pressing it
- Big cancel button in the bottom left instead of the one below the small album art

enjoy!
cholero

May 18, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #744 of 2,020
Hello Everyone,
only one quick update to my modded theme, I'm releasing here probably the last version of the modded rayboradio theme for Rockbox Targets 320x240.

Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/7x8zar

changes to 7.3c1
- version 7.3c2
- Touchscreen buttons left/right have more space
- Touchscreen scrolling up/down is now repetitive if you keep pressing it
- Big cancel button in the bottom left instead of the one below the small album art

enjoy!
cholero

thanks mate.. will download it later..
is that a clock in the upper right hand corner?

Sent from my lovely Nexus 7..

May 18, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #745 of 2,020
and for those who ended up using only Rockbox I modified the script by our great isergachev to have only rockbox installed and no bootseleoter. You can always go back to the selector screen if you flash again 
cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip so no worries.
Download: http://www.sendspace.com/file/8fstmk

How to install:
Flash cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip (what you did when you installed rockbox, no need to do it again)
flash my DX50_rockboxonly_for_build20140325.zip

How to revert to selector:
Flash cwm_rockbox_2013-03-25.zip

regards,
cholero

May 18, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #746 of 2,020
thanks mate.. will download it later..
is that a clock in the upper right hand corner?

Sent from my lovely Nexus 7..

Hello cub0ne,
Well, the clock is from the Cowon D2 Rockbox simulator. The WPS displays now the clock if the target has a RTC. DX50 doesn't, so no clock will be displayed. On the screenshot there is even a FM Radio 
biggrin.gif

cholero

May 18, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #747 of 2,020
oh ok..iwas thinking its a working clock lol
quick question..is it possible to replace the clock with a touch screen button that turns off the
back light?

May 18, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #748 of 2,020
oh ok..iwas thinking its a working clock lol
quick question..is it possible to replace the clock with a touch screen button that turns off the
back light?

I think it is not possible but I will try what workarounds may be possible.
The button behaviour is the most problematic thing in the current status of the DX50 port in my opinion (very little to complain about anyway) . I hope that the developer will one day find the time to integrate his source into the rockbox repository and make it an official build. After that, there will be more improvements by the rockbox community.

May 19, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #749 of 2,020
Hi all,

I'm new here and I just received my DX50 last week
smily_headphones1.gif

Rockboxed it already and I love it!!!

Now I have some questions/"problems".

-When I use the DX50 on the AUX connection in my Car (not the best sound system unfortunately, but usually pretty acceptable) it's clipping/distorting like crazy for like 40-50 % of my songs. For the other 50% of my songs it's perfectly fine and sounds great with huge bass impact and nice highs.
I tried both the HO and the LO and all EQ settings are turned off, bass and treble to Zero, even tried lowering the bass/treble....
Happens for Flac aswell as for Mp3.

Maybe it's fixable with lowering some frequencies in the EQ but I just couldn't find the right ones yet.Any suggestions?

- also how do I put new rockbox themes on the dx50? would love to get bigger album art.

- last but not least :) ,  there's apparently gonna be a new official firmwareupdate soon, how does the updating work then? Since it's most likely including the usb DAC functionality I wouldn't want to miss out on that :D

Cheers

May 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #750 of 2,020
Hello Theleobruce,

Quote:

-When I use the DX50 on the AUX connection in my Car (not the best sound system unfortunately, but usually pretty acceptable) it's clipping/distorting like crazy for like 40-50 % of my songs. For the other 50% of my songs it's perfectly fine and sounds great with huge bass impact and nice highs.
I tried both the HO and the LO and all EQ settings are turned off, bass and treble to Zero, even tried lowering the bass/treble....
Happens for Flac aswell as for Mp3.

Maybe it's fixable with lowering some frequencies in the EQ but I just couldn't find the right ones yet.Any suggestions?

I never had this problem. Did you hear the distortion too, when you connect headphones to your player? I mean is it definitely not a problem of the amp? A possibility could be that your files are tagged with positive (wrong) replaygain tags, this could lead to distortion because rockbox can apply replaygain. There is also a "compressor" software effect that could be switched on accidentally.

- also how do I put new rockbox themes on the dx50? would love to get bigger album art.

Extract the content of a zipped theme to your DX50. You should find a directory named "rockbox". A difference between a regular rockbox build and the DX50 build is that the folder in the zip file is named ".rockbox" and the one on the DX50 is called "rockbox" (without dot). So just extract the content of the subfolder ".rockbox" to your DX50's folder "rockbox" (folder "theme", "wps",...) .
Take themes for Cowon D2 because it has the same resolution an also a touchscreen: http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=cowond2

- last but not least :) ,  there's apparently gonna be a new official firmwareupdate soon, how does the updating work then? Since it's most likely including the usb DAC functionality I wouldn't want to miss out on that :D

To flash a new firmware version you have to flash "stock recovery" in CWM (included in the Mod-Package of DOC2008: http://yadi.sk/d/UbPDGP_IKvVCA) first. Then boot to stock recovery and apply the update with the stock recovery.
To be able to use rockbox again, someone will have to build a new firmware file containing the new firmware AND clockworkmod recovery. I'm quite sure that this will happen very quickly after a new release.

cholero

Users who are viewing this thread

Back