Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
May 14, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #1,756 of 2,020
I enjoy Rockbox on all my Android and Sansa devices. Shame it dumbs down the iBasso. If I didn't have a significant collection of hi-res music I'd definitely install Rockbox - I do like its crossfeed option, among others.

To my ear the hi-res file don't sound that much different (if not better) on Rb tbh (24bit/192Khz). Maybe one day I will try it out again, but for now still waiting for my warranty replacement.

May 15, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #1,757 of 2,020
I enjoy Rockbox on all my Android and Sansa devices. Shame it dumbs down the iBasso. If I didn't have a significant collection of hi-res music I'd definitely install Rockbox - I do like its crossfeed option, among others.

If Mango had replaygain I could live with it! Everyone will tell you that hi-res files are a waste, but I hear a difference. It is probably placebo, but if it sounds better to my ears it is worth it. I don't have enough hi-res files to give up Rockbox functionality though. Do other devices support hi-res files in Rockbox?

May 15, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #1,758 of 2,020
Quick question to rockbox on DX50, it works by the way very very well, with zero issues!

In the settings we can adjust the battery size, like from the default 2100 mAh to a higher value.

I found a 3rd party battery from Anker which fits fine to the DX50 with 4400 mAh, but rockbox offers only up to 3400 mAh.

Now it the battery notification not accurate enough... Is there a way to set it to 4400 mAh manually? Thanks

May 15, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #1,759 of 2,020
..well the battery indicator should work the same on all li-ion batteries, it is just the calculated "time remaining" that differs depending on the capacity. It would be possible to make it bigger (a value in a config file before compiling), but a) i think you would be the only one using it, so not much motivation to change it (sorry) and b) i don't believe any vendor who says he has a battery with the same size, same price but double capacity than an original battery from a big company like samsung.

May 15, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #1,760 of 2,020
Thanks for your quick answer :) Could you tell me how I can find this line to change? I really want to almost double my running time of my DX50.

The battery is from the brand Anker which offers a lot 3rd party batteries (I have a bunch of them for different devices, all works very well since years).This 4400 mAh version ( http://www.ianker.com/product/70SMI9300-E1U44NA/56 ) is few millimeters thicker as the normal 2100 mAh battery, but I have a leather case and I don't need to clase the back cover from the DX50, I know two guys who are using exactly this 4400 mAh with their DX50 and DX90 but with stock Mango firmware.

May 15, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #1,761 of 2,020
May 15, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #1,762 of 2,020
Thanks, I need to read how to compile (I never done this before), but yes I only want to change the max value for the battery to use the new battery with a more accurate battery life indicator.

May 16, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #1,763 of 2,020
I would really like to have more ibasso rockbox fans who have set up their computer to compile the source code and try to optimize some things. But it would mean quite a lot of time to set it up I think and for me it means almost nothing because everything is prepared on my pc. So I made a build with the ususal 2 mods (see links on the first post for the source code):
http://www58.zippyshare.com/v/1OZp0FUa/file.html
- I didn't try it, please report back :)

and please don't hold back to play around with rockbox source code

May 16, 2015 at 4:51 AM Post #1,764 of 2,020
Wow you are the best! It works fine, to adjust a larger capacity. 1000 times big thanks for that build.

Sure I need some time to get into it with the compiling, but I will do it. I know that from our company (software brand) they create for us always new builds for testing and this takes some serious time.

What I don't understand why not real DAP vendors want to try go with Rockbox like firmware for their devices. Years ago I started with a Sansa Clip+ the default firmware was crap, Rockbox = wonderful and zero issues. The same with the DX50, Mango stock firmware = crap, Rockbox awesome and zero issues.

Have a good weekend, cheers
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #1,765 of 2,020
Well Rb downscaling hires file. In this day and time when DSD is a must for even lower end DAP (even the X3K can hardware decode it now), saying that your player can only play 16bit/44.1Khz at max pretty much suicidal. Personally I don't really care for it, but like 2K display or tons of god-know-what technologies comes with TV, better specs always leaves a good impression (even if they are just false advertising).

May 16, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #1,766 of 2,020
I agree, I see it like you - who cares about HiRes? It's all marketing. I own a iFi micro iDSD, which plays everything native (under Windows with foobar200 and AISO driver) and I have sets of 24/192 FLAC files and some DXD384 and DSD256 music and finally I don't hear any difference to 16/44 FLAC files (down sampled from the higher source file) and I have really good cans like the Sennheiser HD 800 which are really analytical. But I know a lot of people "hearing everything" incl. differences between cables and other voodoo stuff. But I'm happy that Rockbox works under the DX50 and DX90.

May 17, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #1,768 of 2,020
yes.
file browse to /mnt/sdcard and longpress play on the folder you want to play and select "current playlist" , "insert shuffled"

What was that you did not know, how to browse to the internal storage or how to add/play shuffled?

Edit: Sorry, now I understand: I guess you've never tried rockbox. You can do everything mango can but much more specially when it comes to playlist management, music database and file management in general. The "on-the-fly" playlist edit capability with rockbox is a dream.

May 17, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #1,769 of 2,020
I do not understand, I use Rockbox for 2 years with my DX50, everything was going very well, I made the different updates without any problems, but since I installed version 1.9.2 of mango and the latest custom rockbox build, there are micro cuts sound, especially in the beginning of track. These cuts are not systematic, they appear randomly, but they are very painful, forcing me to use mainly mango. I installed Rockbox again, different version, the problem remains the same, on flac or mp3 files. Do you have the same issue ? Thank you

May 17, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #1,770 of 2,020
  yes.
file browse to /mnt/sdcard and longpress play on the folder you want to play and select "current playlist" , "insert shuffled"

What was that you did not know, how to browse to the internal storage or how to add/play shuffled?

Edit: Sorry, now I understand: I guess you've never tried rockbox. You can do everything mango can but much more specially when it comes to playlist management, music database and file management in general. The "on-the-fly" playlist edit capability with rockbox is a dream.

Thank you very much.  I was looking for it in options like Mango on whether I wanted to play the internal storage or the SD Card.  I have CDs on my SD card and miscellaneous files on my internal memory.  I like to shuffle the miscellaneous, but not the CDs.  I will check out the on the fly playlist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back