RockBox For HiFiman HM601 and for HM801
Feb 6, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #181 of 364
Ah, and 2 GB size limit is for the FAT. Fat 32 file size limit is 4 GB.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #182 of 364
We had a wonderfull meeting in Moscow with users of "russian head-fi" (player.ru) this saturday. There we had all kinds of sourses, headphones and earphones. For example we had C4 Pro's (stock and modded ones), HM-801s (with ST2 and Game amp), a wonderful and very rare modification of Cowon X5L and Iriver 140 called Alexmod and other sourses. And the general conclusion was that HM-801 with Game amp and Alexmod are the best monoblock DAPs. Though we havent yet had a chance to listen to DX100.

So yes, HM-801 really benefits from Game amp. It sounds significantly more detailed across the spectrum.

Quote:
Hey Daze I see in your sig that you have the GAME amp for the 801, mine's arriving today. How do you like it compared to the two stock modules that the 801 comes with?

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #183 of 364
     Quote:
Ah, and 2 GB size limit is for the FAT. Fat 32 file size limit is 4 GB.

That one I do remember.

One thing that I've noticed is that when I transferred over FLAC files that I created using XLD on my MBP and then mounted the sd card on my windows 7 laptop I see a whole bunch of duplicate files of my FLACs beginning with ._ These same files also appear in in the SD Card Menu on the 801. I have ended up deleting these ._ files on the windows 7 laptop I have so they do not clutter my SD card menu on the 801 as that's how I'm accessing my music.

Also note these ._ files are only visible if you have 'show hidden files and folders' enabled in Windows, but are not visible in OS X Lion. They are visible regardless on the 801 unless deleted in Windows.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #184 of 364

Awesome! I can't wait to get home and try the GAME. I can't imagine the 801 sounding any better as is. I must admit I also have not listened to the DX100 but I am intrigued by it. By any chance, have you tried out 24/96 files on your 801? I have read reports of people saying they hear hiss during playback of some files.

Quote:
We had a wonderfull meeting in Moscow with users of "russian head-fi" (player.ru) this saturday. There we had all kinds of sourses, headphones and earphones. For example we had C4 Pro's (stock and modded ones), HM-801s (with ST2 and Game amp), a wonderful and very rare modification of Cowon X5L and Iriver 140 called Alexmod and other sourses. And the general conclusion was that HM-801 with Game amp and Alexmod are the best monoblock DAPs. Though we havent yet had a chance to listen to DX100.

So yes, HM-801 really benefits from Game amp. It sounds significantly more detailed across the spectrum.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #185 of 364
With Game amp I don't hear any hiss, and I have no desire to check this issue with other amps. Though I haven't listened to 24 files much.
Quote:
Awesome! I can't wait to get home and try the GAME. I can't imagine the 801 sounding any better as is. I must admit I also have not listened to the DX100 but I am intrigued by it. By any chance, have you tried out 24/96 files on your 801? I have read reports of people saying they hear hiss during playback of some files.

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #186 of 364

Quote:
With Game amp I don't hear any hiss, and I don't have desire to check this issue with other amps. Though I haven't listened to 24 files much.

Thanks Daze. I asked because I was thinking about purchasing some from HDtracks, but like I said some people have reported hearing a loud hiss from 24/96 files. I'll probably try some this evening and hope for the best. I've never tried any 24/96 FLAC sonds or any hi-res tracks for that matter.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #187 of 364
I have reported hiss problems with some 24/96 flac files. This is unrelated to hardware and amp boards but is a problem in the HM-801's flac decoder. I have uploaded several of these problem files to Fangs technicians and Fang has reported back to me that there is indeed an incompatility issue. He has not gone into details with what the issue is or wether it can be fixed with a new firmware. Downsampling the files to 24/48 gets rid of the hiss.

And with regards to the difference between FAT and FAT32 and file size the story is sector size (the smallest addressable unit on the disc device). Under FAT there was a fixed number af sectors so as deviced got bigger the sectors got bigger so even a 1 byte file would take up a full sector which could be 32 og 64 kb. This problem was really only relevant with a lot of small files as opposed to many large ones. In FAT32 the standard sector size (I think) is 2 kb. Also the max filesize increased under FAT32. NTFS changed all this.

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #188 of 364
The only reason I sold my 602 was the lack of Korean support.

Now I am starting to think I might buy this player again. I really do like rockbox.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #189 of 364

Quote:
I have reported hiss problems with some 24/96 flac files. This is unrelated to hardware and amp boards but is a problem in the HM-801's flac decoder. I have uploaded several of these problem files to Fangs technicians and Fang has reported back to me that there is indeed an incompatility issue. He has not gone into details with what the issue is or wether it can be fixed with a new firmware. Downsampling the files to 24/48 gets rid of the hiss.
And with regards to the difference between FAT and FAT32 and file size the story is sector size (the smallest addressable unit on the disc device). Under FAT there was a fixed number af sectors so as deviced got bigger the sectors got bigger so even a 1 byte file would take up a full sector which could be 32 og 64 kb. This problem was really only relevant with a lot of small files as opposed to many large ones. In FAT32 the standard sector size (I think) is 2 kb. Also the max filesize increased under FAT32. NTFS changed all this.

Any idea what happens if you convert those file to Wav at 24/96?

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Post #190 of 364
Have not tried that but can do

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #192 of 364

Quote:
I'm keen to hear what your results are.

I've had similar issues on my Studio V with certain tracks giving me clipping. Once I expanded those files to WAV the clipping was gone. Not sure if the same concept would apply to the Hifiman though...

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #193 of 364
I have now tried this. I converted the 24/96 flac file to 24/97 wav, 24/48 flac and 24/48 wav. The 24/96 flac plays but with the strong hiss. The 24/48 flac plays with no hiss. Neither wav file will play at all but rather both resets the player when it tries to play them. This was with firmware 0.20. I then tried to upgrade to the latest firmware 0.21 but the results were the same. So the conclusion seems to be that there are problems decoding some 24/96 flac files (confirmed by Fang), that downsampling to 24/48 does not have this problem and that the player is unable to play hires wav files.

Btw. the same 24/96 wav file plays without any problem on the Colorfly C4 however the C4 does not play hires flac.

Quote:
Any idea what happens if you convert those file to Wav at 24/96?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back