ROCK Zircon + Mula IEM Impressions Thread
Sep 16, 2016 at 7:32 AM Post #1,187 of 1,258
Either that or people expect way too much from a roughly $12 purchase...

Oh, guilty for sure. But some reviews (pointing no fingers) are positively hyperbolic, and the caveat "for the price" can only cover so many sins. :wink: So I thought I'd leave a little reality check for anyone, like myself, who read the many reviews - not only here - and thought, hmm worth a try. Hmm, not necessarily worth a try. :wink: $12 can buy a darn fine burger. Yum....

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #1,188 of 1,258
I completely agree with you, Intensecure. Just too much high-mids with the RZ, the sound lack of body. The problem is that many reviewers don't clearly identify the caveats of some iems, and just say : "incredible for the price".The problem is that we have now like 100 pairs of sub-50$ iems which are "incredible for the price". Sound signature and individual preferences are the most important thing, IMHO.

Sep 16, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #1,189 of 1,258
Maybe you guys got some duds or fakes.  Plenty of people criticize Zircon, but it's usually for too much bass and body, not too much highs.  

And it's been said numerous times how they are fun, not studio. 

Too much highs and lack of body?  Zircon makes my KZ ED8 sound thin.

Sep 16, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,190 of 1,258
Maybe you guys got some duds or fakes.  Plenty of people criticize Zircon, but it's usually for too much bass and body, not too much highs.  

And it's been said numerous times how they are fun, not studio. 

Too much highs and lack of body?  Zircon makes my KZ ED8 sound thin.

OK, I certainly don't want to criticize anyone's choice of sound or earphones, not at all...but certainly don't have "fakes" which is another "excuse" I so often see touted when things don't sound as they do to others. Mine passed the barcode test on the packet, and I am sure that they are not "duds" either, as they have very pronounced and very nice bass and sub-bass. A bit bleedy into what would be mids, but still very good bass. But..the highs are glassy, the mids hollow. Now, I am comparing with $30-$40 pairs, but all the reviews seem to indicate that this comparison should have some merit - but no, they are far from a Vsonic entry level pair. And I have good ears. :) :wink:
My main contention is not that they are not "fun" - at low volumes they pop a nice bass line, with decent treble detail. They fail as volumes rise though, and they are missing whole chunks of mid-range freqs. So please accept my comments as what they are: genuine disappointment with the listenability of them for regular use, their limitations being greater than seemed obvious from reading reviews and opinions, nothing personal against anyone who likes them - everything has it's niche - but just a note for anyone to consider carefully if 3x$10 couldn't be better spent on something with greater potential as a daily use pair, because looking back through this thread it seems quite a few people had an initial honeymoon period followed by either a sale or the darkness of "the drawer". :wink:
All humbly my own opinion, I *can* see why some might find them acceptable, but I wouldn't buy these again, and I think balanced opinions make for healthy choices.
Cheers.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #1,192 of 1,258
but certainly don't have "fakes" which is another "excuse" I so often see touted when things don't sound as they do to others. 

Well, maybe mine are the fakes. lol.  I suppose it can be what they're plugged into too, (same as with regular headphones).  I just plugged mine into a Schiit Magni for the first time, and they are more as you say.  I also have different tips on them though to knock out the low end, so I'll have to dig around for the stock tips and try again.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #1,193 of 1,258
Had them, works good, terrible is harsh and high, bass is punchy and string but at full volume they are so harsh to ears that you can not listen for long times, not much durable, looks durable but no, there aren't, vocals are good, and if using with some portable amps, they will suck, because of terrible is so high to handle

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #1,194 of 1,258
Had them, works good, terrible is harsh and high, bass is punchy and string but at full volume they are so harsh to ears that you can not listen for long times, not much durable, looks durable but no, there aren't, vocals are good, and if using with some portable amps, they will suck, because of terrible is so high to handle

The shells are very durable, I've dropped them multiple times on the floor and on concrete and there is not a scratch on them. The cable is also very nice, but a little thin.

Sep 23, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #1,195 of 1,258
Oh, guilty for sure. But some reviews (pointing no fingers) are positively hyperbolic, and the caveat "for the price" can only cover so many sins.
wink.gif
So I thought I'd leave a little reality check for anyone, like myself, who read the many reviews - not only here - and thought, hmm worth a try. Hmm, not necessarily worth a try.
wink.gif
$12 can buy a darn fine burger. Yum....

Yes but it will take a lot and I mean a lot longer for the Zircon to become poop
eek.gif
I ignore the nay-sayers as the Zircon is a fun iem and extremely well made for $12 not to mention they are one sexy looking iem
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Ooh, body shot you say
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #1,196 of 1,258
I think the rock zircon doesn't look durable at all, the cable isn't properly protected near the jack plug, mic and near the junction. In fact, the rock zircon is my first cheap chinese brand IEM, the sound is good even if sometimes the mids are overshadowed by the huge bass but now I understang why it's cheap...it's not durable at all !

I mainly used the zircon at home with a DAP and put it on a table but after less than 1 month, the left side suddently stopped working without hearing any hiss. Then, I tried to gently twist the cable and plugged the earphones at ~90% but I still heard nothing on the left side, not even an electrical noise.

Maybe the left driver just died after one month ? I bought the rock zircon from ShenzhenHCK/NiceHCK on aliexpress so it's a real zircon. Even the cheapest philips IEM (less than $10) lasted more than 1year.

Besides, I also found a lot of complaints like mine on google (forum and youtube), their rock zircon lasted less than 6 months so the build quality seems to be questionable...

EDIT: the built quality is very low...if I push the silicone tube below the left earphone, I can sometimes hear the music but at ~50% lower but I think the wires behind the left driver will soon disconnect. So it's not only a problem of strain relief, the soldering work wasn't good ! Of course, there is no warranty so the manifacturer don't care about quality control.

So it's better to buy something more durable and save money because if we buy more than 2 zircons the same year, it can be more expensive than a $10-30 IEM with 1year warranty than can be used for years.

Oct 4, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #1,197 of 1,258
I had cable issues as well, lack of Jack strain relief is no go. I loved this iem, had two pairs as a daily driver but has to go with something more durable :frowning2:

Oct 10, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #1,198 of 1,258
OK, Zircon owners! Get prepared to "up-your-game" with a simple upgrade!.....Now, before we begin? The simple project is totally up to you to follow!

If you feel your Zircon's are just a little towards the bassy side, bloated, or overly done in the bass? Just follow this simple project and be prepared to be surprised!

Buy a "super glue liquid stick", like the one below......

Tap some glue from the edge of the tip of the glue stick to the "tiny port-hole" on the back of your Zircon's.....like the PICS below.

NOTE: Do not put a droplet! ....A little too big and it will spill-over!

Hold them upright for around 5 to 7 minutes, then hang them in a way where they can really harden-up and don't tamper or listen to them until 24 hours later (or, the next day)!

....Now, prepare to be surprised!

Never would you think again that these were a bad purchase! ....Bass tamed and surprisingly detailed! Vocals are foward and airy, YES AIRY! and the highs are incredibly VIVID!

I will definitely be moving these "up" on my profile, soon! For, they just became more worthy of the purchase then I ever expected!

Dare to try! ....You won't be dissappointed! Guaranteed! 
etysmile.gif

Note: I am not responsible for any mistakes you make on the project! So, go slow and easy with great care.
wink.gif

-1clearhead

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #1,199 of 1,258
  Note: I am not responsible for any mistakes you make on the project! So, go slow and easy with great care.
wink.gif

-1clearhead

Oh, great I've just tried this mod but I put the glue on the hole on the other side of the earphone. They're now stuck in my ears and won't come out.

On the upside though, I can only talk to my wife if she calls me and I'm screening her calls. Every cloud eh? 
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #1,200 of 1,258
  OK, Zircon owners! Get prepared to "up-your-game" with a simple upgrade!.....Now, before we begin? The simple project is totally up to you to follow!

If you feel your Zircon's are just a little towards the bassy side, bloated, or overly done in the bass? Just follow this simple project and be prepared to be surprised!

Buy a "super glue liquid stick", like the one below......

Tap some glue from the edge of the tip of the glue stick to the "tiny port-hole" on the back of your Zircon's.....like the PICS below.

NOTE: Do not put a droplet! ....A little too big and it will spill-over!

Hold them upright for around 5 to 7 minutes, then hang them in a way where they can really harden-up and don't tamper or listen to them until 24 hours later (or, the next day)!

....Now, prepare to be surprised!

Never would you think again that these were a bad purchase! ....Bass tamed and surprisingly detailed! Vocals are foward and airy, YES AIRY! and the highs are incredibly VIVID!

I will definitely be moving these "up" on my profile, soon! For, they just became more worthy of the purchase then I ever expected!

Dare to try! ....You won't be dissappointed! Guaranteed! 
etysmile.gif

wink.gif

-1clearhead

Hello bro, my right side Rock Zircons has failed on me after few weeks of use. Do you know how to DIY mmcx connector in their housings? They have poor QC on their products even though I love their sound signature! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back