Rob watts DAC design talk
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:03 AM Post #31 of 468
@ZappaMan his qualifications as a DAC designer or how good his gears are, do not make him right about everything he says. and you playing his lawyer with your irrelevant appeal to authority, sarcasm, and obvious lack of knowledge on the specific topic, isn't helping him, you, or anybody. something doesn't become a fact depending on who says it. wanting for everything he does or says to be gold, is your passion talking, not your rational mind. when you want to force us to amalgam his engineering skills and this claim, all you do is bring his skill down to the level of that silly assumption of hearing -200dB. again that's not doing him any good.
Newton changed the world with his genius, he also believed in a all lot of crap. at the end of the day, we're just humans and we are all wrong about a lot of things. oh and we all lie many times a day too! serious studies suggest that much.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...gy-of-audiophiles.877562/page-5#post-14191380 this is my approximate knowledge about hearing stuff, and why I think it's complete nonsense to go claim that the cause of a perceived change is down at -200dB below music. if those ideas or magnitudes are wrong and you have evidence supporting it, please share with me so that I can get a more accurate view about human hearing. but good luck finding something to justify audibility at -200dB. unrealistic stuff tend to stay that way upon scrutiny.

Jun 9, 2018 at 5:07 AM Post #32 of 468
well, i think the thread opened with denigrating comments, and i think this forum should get its house in order.

when i first replied to this post, i didn't realise it was in this sound and science forum, had i, i would just have walked on, as the more i come into contact with the people who post on this forum, the more I'd want to stop listening to music.

i just think, you guys, have so much curiosity, why dont you direct it to something productive, and actually create something of value to the rest of society? isn't that a better way to spend your time? Robs created some highly regarded dacs, that means i trust him, he has no reason to lie.

If i were to go round calling out every person who makes a claim in a presentation, that they should prove it, we'd be in paralysis.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #33 of 468
I think you should prove +200db causes death, as you’re setting up the challenge, it’s only right you go first.

Could you prove that hitting a pedestrian with a car travelling at 20,000 mph would cause death? No, of course you couldn't, there are no cars that can go that fast, the fastest cars are about 100 times slower than that but do you doubt that pedestrian would be killed? Same with sound, the loudest sound systems (which are the biggest commercial sound systems for huge live gigs) are capable of about 100 times less than 200dB. The only way of actually creating a 200dB level is with an explosive pressure wave and not just a firecracker. One atomic bomb test measured 210dB from 250 feet away, you think maybe it wouldn't kill you?

If we look at it the other way (-200dB instead of +200dB), the situation is even more ridiculous! -200dB is very roughly 1,000 lower than the sound which would be produced by two hydrogen atoms colliding. A sound wave is the movement of billions of air molecules but the sound energy 1,000 times lower than two hydrogen atoms colliding probably isn't even enough to move one air molecule, let alone billions. Therefore, a sound wave at -200dB cannot exist, even given a theoretically perfect set of HPs or speakers with an infinite signal to noise ratio. Rob Watts is claiming to hear something which cannot even exist!

[1] Im not sure I should blindly believe the first results spewed by google. I need more proof then that.
[2] i just think, you guys, have so much curiosity, why dont you direct it to something productive, and actually create something of value to the rest of society?

1. And your "more proof than that" is a man on the internet trying to sell you a DAC and making claims which break the laws of physics?

2. I do, I create music and sound professionally, the sort of thing you are probably listening to, what do you actually create of value to the rest of society?

G

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #34 of 468
Well sound science as long as it’s not personally attacking, has a point of discussing ideas,myths,claims, and hypothesis. I do wonder about claims in dac or amp construction do they lead to be closer to the original analogue sound or are these about preference. I’m no engineer or techy, but chord has pursued a type of dac architecture that makes claims about how they are converting bits to output that is superior in wave conversion. Well we know the chord sound and the site does generate its share of chord fan which flashes poms poms in this regard. Since I know little technical info I too could sit fascinated by Robb elaboration on filters, pulse arrays, taps, output stage, digital volumes etc and have no idea still. In a bigger sense what’s with r2r versus Robb’s design, why the thought that Robb is pursuing the real strategy of conversion as everyone else pursues old dated pursuits. I want to beleive too but consider some things as well in the pursuit as inaudible as well. I wanted to start a thread kinda on these debates and step back and let the brains of head fi mull it over. In the rarefied air of high end dacs we have three manufactures pursuing different paths and other than intent, do they separate from eacother in the same goal of conversion as one is superior in that regard, or is it preference then we take the idea of transparency out and introduce tone and preference then we can ignore price and pursue what we like. Or does it matter at all.....in that case even tho I prefer chord dac like TT to fostex say hpa8, is that technically speaking or just what I like.
The manufactures are total dac7, la scala formula xhd, and chord Dave. All are in the 15-25 g range, each have taken a different approach in architecture for example la scala no digital filter and a focus on superior electronics, Dave uses wpa....each has tremendous respect although few consumers have heard each, as they are limited in availability. Or do we go to schitt and follow a huge lower pp cause really it doesn’t matter.
Sorry for the diatribe but this is why I clicked on this thread. Even I am becoming somewhat jaded in claims from the inception and chord poms poms have kinda given me the warning sign. With upgraditis praying on us, I tested a variety of chord products and have my own preferences that didn’t include these upgrades. So carry on but is it true Virginia? Is there no Santa clause?

Jun 9, 2018 at 7:53 AM Post #35 of 468
Could you prove that hitting a pedestrian with a car travelling at 20,000 mph would cause death? No, of course you couldn't, there are no cars that can go that fast, the fastest cars are about 100 times slower than that but do you doubt that pedestrian would be killed? Same with sound, the loudest sound systems (which are the biggest commercial sound systems for huge live gigs) are capable of about 100 times less than 200dB. The only way of actually creating a 200dB level is with an explosive pressure wave and not just a firecracker. One atomic bomb test measured 210dB from 250 feet away, you think maybe it wouldn't kill you?

If we look at it the other way (-200dB instead of +200dB), the situation is even more ridiculous! -200dB is very roughly 1,000 lower than the sound which would be produced by two hydrogen atoms colliding. A sound wave is the movement of billions of air molecules but the sound energy 1,000 times lower than two hydrogen atoms colliding probably isn't even enough to move one air molecule, let alone billions. Therefore, a sound wave at -200dB cannot exist, even given a theoretically perfect set of HPs or speakers with an infinite signal to noise ratio. Rob Watts is claiming to hear something which cannot even exist!

1. And your "more proof than that" is a man on the internet trying to sell you a DAC and making claims which break the laws of physics?

2. I do, I create music and sound professionally, the sort of thing you are probably listening to, what do you actually create of value to the rest of society?

G
Look, I was mainly having a laugh earlier, I think you can see it was good natured. I’ll look into this -200db stuff as you’ve put forward some rational arguments and I am a rational person.

I am a software developer, I also work with a social enterprise that helps your people with autism get into the work space and have a normal life. I also mentor young people who need a way back into society.

I only mention, “what have you done” as there seems to be a lot of negativity around, I just imagine these people, who haven’t contributed, but who put their days in calling people who have actually contributed liars.

But fair play to you, and anyone, criticise, challenge, help make the world a better place.

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:14 AM Post #36 of 468
In the video, he says, effects of the distortion Around 120db Is audible, That’s different in my mind from saying, the sound wave itself was audible. This is around the 6 minute mark.

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #37 of 468
And your ears are under so much stress at 120db that distortion is the last thing your brain would comprehend to pick up from a soundwave at 120db.

Not that I dont recommend building DACs and other equipment as accurate as possbile but from a practical point of view, 120db is extreme and I would never recommend listening for more than 5 seconds at that level.

Jun 9, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #38 of 468
And your ears are under so much stress at 120db that distortion is the last thing your brain would comprehend to pick up from a soundwave at 120db.

Not that I dont recommend building DACs and other equipment as accurate as possbile but from a practical point of view, 120db is extreme and I would never recommend listening for more than 5 seconds at that level.
Sorry that should have said -120db.

Jun 9, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #39 of 468
Well sound science as long as it’s not personally attacking, has a point of discussing ideas,myths,claims, and hypothesis. I do wonder about claims in dac or amp construction do they lead to be closer to the original analogue sound or are these about preference. I’m no engineer or techy, but chord has pursued a type of dac architecture that makes claims about how they are converting bits to output that is superior in wave conversion. Well we know the chord sound and the site does generate its share of chord fan which flashes poms poms in this regard. Since I know little technical info I too could sit fascinated by Robb elaboration on filters, pulse arrays, taps, output stage, digital volumes etc and have no idea still. In a bigger sense what’s with r2r versus Robb’s design, why the thought that Robb is pursuing the real strategy of conversion as everyone else pursues old dated pursuits. I want to beleive too but consider some things as well in the pursuit as inaudible as well. I wanted to start a thread kinda on these debates and step back and let the brains of head fi mull it over. In the rarefied air of high end dacs we have three manufactures pursuing different paths and other than intent, do they separate from eacother in the same goal of conversion as one is superior in that regard, or is it preference then we take the idea of transparency out and introduce tone and preference then we can ignore price and pursue what we like. Or does it matter at all.....in that case even tho I prefer chord dac like TT to fostex say hpa8, is that technically speaking or just what I like.
The manufactures are total dac7, la scala formula xhd, and chord Dave. All are in the 15-25 g range, each have taken a different approach in architecture for example la scala no digital filter and a focus on superior electronics, Dave uses wpa....each has tremendous respect although few consumers have heard each, as they are limited in availability. Or do we go to schitt and follow a huge lower pp cause really it doesn’t matter.
Sorry for the diatribe but this is why I clicked on this thread. Even I am becoming somewhat jaded in claims from the inception and chord poms poms have kinda given me the warning sign. With upgraditis praying on us, I tested a variety of chord products and have my own preferences that didn’t include these upgrades. So carry on but is it true Virginia? Is there no Santa clause?

the fundamental difficulty with calling something better than something else is that we don't really have a mean to classify variables between each others. here is an easy example of what I mean:
let's say 2 devices are absolutely identical save for one being 0.05dB flatter in FR at 20Khz and the other having 0.0001%THD instead of 0.0012% for the the flatter device. how do we decide which one is the best device? objectively it's not that simple to just change units. and subjectively, well neither is likely to be audible anyway.
when almost all the variables are clearly superior, then that's easy, we pick the one with the clearly superior fidelity if we're focused on that. a job well done. but often it's not that easy.
so instead people tend to focus on a philosophy. one will say "time domain is what matters rhaaaaaaaAAAAAA!" some other guy will say "humans often base their preferences on the frequency domain houhHA!", some dude will say "negative feedback ruins music, Yippee ki yay". one will cater to all the dudes who have developed a sort of xenophobia toward digital. to them it's the modern day witchcraft and they'd love to also kill it with fire like in the 'good old days'. so a DAC designer will sell them discrete stuff because it's kind of sort of analog if you think about it very very fast. a few years ago(dunno if many still do that now), a few fools would just go "filters kill the sound, mehhhhhhHHH, Nyquist is wrong" and then go on to make garbage DACs with crippling levels if aliasing and non linearity. and the most amazing was that even absolutely stupid design choices like those, often sounded just fine.
those stuff will always exist and the better the fidelity of the average DAC will become, the more we'll see only that type of marketing. and there is an endless list of philosophies like those with followers who will argue that oversampling 9 times is right but 12 is wrong, some will go with how oversampling at any value kills the original sound. some other group will say that you can oversample but you need the special way to do it... you can pick any topic and spawn a war about it, then all the people on your side will want your device because you're the one who cared to solve that specific non issue with the most care.
IMO instead of BS philosophy, what shows a good DAC is a good list of measurements of the output signal. I personally couldn't care less how fidelity is achieved. if it needs the blood of crying babies, I expect the manufacturer to procure the material. I don't care to be told why they use that and how they kidnap the kids. but that's just me. some other guy will love to learn about all the intricacies. and a third one will just get the expensive stuff because he can, without even reading the specs to know why it's expensive. we all have our own circumstances.

but I would agree that it's hard to know what is good and what isn't. if I was interested in always trying to get a better device with better fidelity(real one, not marketed fidelity), I honestly don't know where I would go. that's the price to pay for a hobby mostly focused on subjective reviews. I haven't seen much reason to believe that Chord gears are doing anything wrong. but they're also not really famous for being cheap. that's about all I have to say about them. having a gazillion taps is probably not how the DAC world will find its next revolution, nor why something will sound good or not. but if he does it without ruining everything else, I'm cool with that. again, I don't really how or why high fidelity is achieved, so long as it's achieved.

Jun 9, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #40 of 468
Keep in mind that the -200dBFS or even -350dBFS (Dave) are FFT simulated digital performance of noise shapers. Nothing more than pure digital complex form in dBFS. Until now, no proof if it matters in our real much higher environment noise floor.

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #41 of 468
So I'm watching the video on YouTube from the 2017rmaf:

Did this guy think he is a dolphin? He is suggesting he can hear down to 200 dB and that it is not only a slight difference but he says it makes a huge difference... BS detector went into hyperdrive there.

Is this audible? Are the measurement machines accurate enough down there?

Second thing he says about his son noticing the sound difference from a slight modification of the Dave prototype DAC. This is off a kids tv show. Second ping from the bs detector. Does his son also comment everytime the volume is slightly different? I know of zero nine year olds that would comment over audio quality like this. Maybe going from an iPhone to a 5.1 surround system.

I know his dacs get many praises but from that video he seems like a used car salesmen.

Compared to watching the video from 2016 about headphone advances is night and day. The whole panel there was great and didn't make outlandish claims.

I dont really listen to him anymore.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 468
It would be even worse if it was Abba’s Dancing Queen at 200dB

Dude, whats with the ABBA hating ?

You would get murdered in a gay bar for saying that schiit.

:wink:

Jun 9, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #43 of 468
Dude, whats with the ABBA hating ?

You would get murdered in a gay bar for saying that schiit.

:wink:
Don’t let him annoy you, these guys hate everyone :)

Jun 9, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #44 of 468
In the video, he says, effects of the distortion Around -120db Is audible,

It isn't. -120 is in the noise floor of just about every commercial recording I know. Again, in Ethan Winer's video in my sig, he takes an annoying buzzer- the most annoying and obvious sound he could find- and drops it incrementally behind music. It disappears around -35 or -40 if I remember correctly.

the fundamental difficulty with calling something better than something else is that we don't really have a mean to classify variables between each others. here is an easy example of what I mean: let's say 2 devices are absolutely identical save for one being 0.05dB flatter in FR at 20Khz and the other having 0.0001%THD instead of 0.0012% for the the flatter device. how do we decide which one is the best device?

How is that difficult? That is dead simple to decide upon... you buy whichever one is cheapest or has the best features. Both of those specs you cite are WAY below the threshold of perception. Both of those devices would sound exactly the same for the purposes of listening to recorded music to human ears.

I think the problem is that most people who throw around measurements and specs don't have a clue what those numbers represent in actual sound. Sure, there's some play in that. Different kinds of distortion affect the sound to different degrees, even if they measure the same. But most of the time people are talking about -120dB or .001% or +/- .5dB... numbers that don't represent anything audible.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:30 PM Post #45 of 468
Thanks for that big shot. My biggest improvement lately in sound was the implementation of a music server, it tweaked my dac upgraditest for some reason....but I really just like the music as it is and don’t care for any additional features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back