Rob watts DAC design talk
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 468
The first one is within minutes of the start and the second one is before I shut it off at 17 minutes.

If you've seen their mojo commercial it is really well done. With a much smaller budget they could film people getting blindfolded and have them listen to music with a switch box and say which DAC they prefer and have them say what they like it better. I'm not being facetious as a consumer I'd it that up. It would be like the Pepsi challenge.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #17 of 468
Can you prove that a sound at 200db would kill you, have you personally saw someone die?

Oh man... I have to google for you? Just think about it a little. A quiet reading room is 30-40dB. The threshold of pain is 120dB. What does 200dB sound like? (Hint the dB scale is logarithmic!)

Discussion of Rob Watts' claim that he can hear clear differences in soundstage from sound down at -200dB (and -350dB! yowza!)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/what-makes-audiophiles-tick-psychology-of-audiophiles.877562/page-5

Info on the effects of +200dB sound (Sorry I am guilty of rounding off in my head without knowing it- it's actually 202dB... But it's OK because your eardrum would rupture at 195dB! You wouldn't hear a thing!)
http://www.decibelcar.com/menugeneric/87.html

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #18 of 468
I think he is saying - 200 dB (like when I turn on my amp it starts at - 75 dB) .

I've never made a DAC I took only the first several physics courses in university and then lots of biomechanics but my focus was physiology in my first degree. So I'm familiar with labs and those that test minimal perceptible change (just not with respect to hearing ever).

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #19 of 468
Info on the effects of +200dB sound (sorry I am guilty of rounding off in my head without knowing it- it's actually 202dB)
http://www.decibelcar.com/menugeneric/87.html

All I see is some dodgy web page with some unscientific statements about the alleged effects on the human body of sound waves.

Before rob proves he can hear -200db, I think you should prove +200db causes death, as you’re setting up the challenge, it’s only right you go first.

If you’re right, and it does cause your death, I’ll ask Rob to look out for you in heaven and he can take you through his methodology.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #20 of 468
Please type these words into google. how loud is 200dB

This one is useful for understanding what numbers mean when they're followed by "dB". logarithmic scale

Hint: The dB scale is 10 log The wikipedia page only calculates power level from +100dB to -100dB, but you can see that by the time you get into the 100 range, you're talking about absurdly large or small power levels. Imagine what 200dB charts out at! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 468
From my memory of robs videos, he says that whenever you make a dac, that only seeks to operate in the audible spectrum, other listening cues are lost, not that the waves thenselves are directly audible. whenever he brought some doubting audio engineers to a listening test, they agreed, there was an audible difference.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #22 of 468
Please type these words into google. how loud is 200dB

This one is useful for understanding what numbers mean when they're followed by "dB". logarithmic scale
Im not sure I should blindly believe the first results spewed by google. I need more proof then that. This is how you operate? Everything must be proved.

But anyway, I think you missed robs point about the dac chip he was hoping to improve upon, but then, maybe you’d already switched off.....

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 468
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 468
Can you prove that a sound at 200db would kill you, have you personally saw someone die?

You mean 200dB SPL? If so, please try 130dB SPL for a few seconds then report back to us. Now if you mean -200dBFS on some DAC, then you are talking about a DAC with actual 32+bit precision, which as far as I know does not exist. Either way, it really all sounds like hooey, I don't care who is saying it.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #25 of 468
Im not sure I should blindly believe the first results spewed by google.

You are +200dB into denial then!

Sorry for even bringing this up again it's been discussed here quite well.

No it's fine. We were all getting a bit stuffy. Good time for a laugh again.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #26 of 468

You are +200dB into denial then!
I think you should prove it is all. I think the sound of science forum needs a martyr to really show the rest of us - that we’ve been living a life in denial and delusion - and what better way?

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 468
I nominate Rob Watts!

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #28 of 468
I nominate Rob Watts!
No no, it was my suggestion and I nominated you, so don’t start trying to duck out of this. Where’s your principles man ?

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #29 of 468
I think death by sound would be painful.

Jun 8, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #30 of 468
It would be even worse if it was Abba’s Dancing Queen at 200dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back