R'n'B / soul recommendations, new and old
Nov 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #31 of 123
I had forgotten what a great artist Aaliyah was. RIP.

MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAaliyah%20-%20Aaliyah%5CAaliyah%20-%20Aaliyah.jpg

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #33 of 123
To the OP. Yes the new Maxwell album is brilliant. I might even like it better than his first! Oh where oh where is D' Angelo at??????

Great artists listed so far. Didn't think i would see Lewis Taylor mentioned as he is so unknown. I believe his first self titled album is a masterpiece!

Here are some others that must be on the list new and old:

Rufus and Chaka Khan (Street Player is my favourite but they are all pretty sick!)

Bilal - 1st Born Second (if you can find his unreleased "Love for Sale album floating around in cyberspace it is even better)

Omar

Sly and the Family Stone - (Does anyone know why the Bonus tracks on the "There's a Riot Going On" album sound so much Shuggie Otis? I know they were on the same label but who influnced who???)

Amel Larrieux - Infinite Possibilities

Me'shell Ndegeocello

Q-Tip - His shelved Kamaal the Abstract album has finally been released. He doesn't have the best voice but a very interesting album. Check it out!

Van Hunt- On the Jungle Floor

Rahsaan Patterson

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #34 of 123
Some nice artists listed there, mr Khali
icon10.gif
I'll come back with some more artists later on
wink.gif

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #35 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.khali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To the OP. Yes the new Maxwell album is brilliant. I might even like it better than his first! Oh where oh where is D' Angelo at??????

at first i'm sure i feel the same way but since black summer's night been out for some time now. no, all other albums are better. maybe his live/mtv unplugged cd was better.

d'angelo? who again?(i actually was using brown sugar to compare my two zu cables, oxfuel and gede). i remember reading some article about him trying to make a cd and it was 2008.
Quote:

Bilal - 1st Born Second (if you can find his unreleased "Love for Sale album floating around in cyberspace it is even better)

this guy, i thought he refused to do another album. you can hear his voice from here to there but he just not doing it(of course i hope not)

Quote:

Sly and the Family Stone - (Does anyone know why the Bonus tracks on the "There's a Riot Going On" album sound so much Shuggie Otis? I know they were on the same label but who influnced who???)

aren't they funk instead of r&b/soul? and my there's a riot going on cd was the worst cd, sound quality wise, but that's also the album that got me into funk.

Quote:

Me'shell Ndegeocello

i need to get devil's halo quick.

Quote:

Rahsaan Patterson

wines & spirits really something different from the past

Nov 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #36 of 123
fhuang;6152520 said:
aren't they funk instead of r&b/soul? and my there's a riot going on cd was the worst cd, sound quality wise, but that's also the album that got me into funk.

Theres a riot goin' on was deliberately recorded with a lot of compression(i think it's compression they used) to give it that smacked out sound.It's one of my favourite albums of all time.

Nov 12, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #37 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
at first i'm sure i feel the same way but since black summer's night been out for some time now. no, all other albums are better. maybe his live/mtv unplugged cd was better.

d'angelo? who again?(i actually was using brown sugar to compare my two zu cables, oxfuel and gede). i remember reading some article about him trying to make a cd and it was 2008.

this guy, i thought he refused to do another album. you can hear his voice from here to there but he just not doing it(of course i hope not)

i need to get devil's halo quick.

wines & spirits really something different from the past

The story I heard about Bilal was that after they didn't release his Love For Sale album that is what made him fed up. But he did release a mixtape recently with some his past work with various artists and hints that he is working on something else. We shall see.

Devil's Halo is a really interesting album. I find the songs are too short though. She does a cool remake of Ready For the World's "Love you Down".

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #38 of 123
So what do you soulfull people think of 2010 and the soul/r'n'b releases this year?

2009 wasn't imo a very good year, even though Maxwell released an amazing album. Some really good songs on the Alicia Keys record, but I really hope for someting more in 2010.

Right now listening to this great record:
bilal_firstborn.jpg

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #39 of 123
Maxwell was definitely the highlight of the year. I was disappointed with the Alicia Keys album. Sounds rushed and watered down IMO. As you said i only enjoyed about 3 tracks. The new Corinne Bailey Rae is outstanding if you haven't heard it yet. Erykah's new one drops next month I believe and the goddess herself Sade will be out soon as well!

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #40 of 123
Have not checked out the Corinne Bailey Rae album yet, thanks. Also check out the Whitney Houston track "Billion Dollar Bill" from her latest album. What a great song, written by Alicia Keys I think.

Jan 31, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #43 of 123
Tasty thread, I really dig old funk and soul. I usually fall back on the solo debut of Curtis Mayfield called 'Curtis' or James Brown & JBs with their many recordings of which the 'In The Jungle Groove' is my favourite album, those break beats and grooves...

Some time soon Joe Tex will be a part of my collection. For the time being I'm on the look out for classical Baroque and Jazz. Eclectic taste in music often makes up for difficult choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back