RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Oct 6, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #346 of 594
Hi, I remember reading somewhere that this DAC didn't support some flavor of USB so xxx was not possible. I can't find the post and I can't remember any details! Is there any issue with USB support? Does it require dedicated Windows drivers or is it fully functional on Linux etc. with just the native USB support?

Originally, it required dedicated drivers. As of maybe a year ago it uses class compliant drivers and works without installing them (including Windows and Linux).

Oct 7, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #347 of 594
Originally, it required dedicated drivers. As of maybe a year ago it uses class compliant drivers and works without installing them (including Windows and Linux).

Oh that is good news. Thanks a lot. :)

So it's possible to play DSD over USB from a PC into the DAC?

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #349 of 594
Looks like a new revision is on the way:

https://rme-audio.com/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

A few retailers have it listed. In their descriptions, they claim it has the AK4493 chip (a slight improvement over the old ADI-2's AK4490), so it looks like this version of the ADI-2 Pro uses that chip (just like the newly revised ADI-2 DAC). As soon as that's confirmed and it's for sale, I'm getting one!

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #350 of 594
I wonder if this new version of the Pro has the same dark mode implementation as the current Pro, with a glowing power button ring, or as the current DAC, with the glow off, or switchable (which would be the ideal IMO). I have a use for the Pro's extra features over the DAC, but the glowing button is a deal breaker for my light sensitivity.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #351 of 594
The RME dacs are such a good value and give dacs costing 2-3x a run for the money. They dont have a marketing machine on head-fi like a few other popular dac brands do.

I enjoy the RME ADI-2 Pro. Such an amazing piece of gear that punches above its price point. I love the look of the upcoming black pro. But I am already so happy with my ADI-2 Pro so going to resist the urge to update primarily for cosmetic reasons :)

Jan 19, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #353 of 594
Ahoj knopi :)

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #354 of 594
Finally got my Focal Clear upgrade cables + RME adapter, Dyson Audio really delivers! 24AWG, teflon insulated, litz braided, UPOCC cable with Neutrik plugs for both cables, all this for under $150. A no-brainer imo especially since what cable makers nowadays seem to reckon up for their fancy looking upgrade cables.

6ACE45D2-6CBE-404C-B4F4-8EFBE0195568.jpeg
6dtw4
Ever since I use a balanced headphone something wasn't just right in the audio chain. In case of the cable scheme I used RME's layout from the manual V 2.2 on page 38: https://www.rme-audio.de/download/adi2profs_e.pdf

I've been running some tests by listening to music, to celebrate my newly soldered balanced cables. It turned out for two balanced headphones, that the phase is inverted on both channels, when "Bal Phones Mode" is on. Additionaly tests with sample based noise impulses had shown that this suggestion was right.
It is possible to reconstruct the inverted phase polarity with a positive single sample impulse, by putting a headphone's loudspeaker closely to a microphone and mute the other headphone speaker. The recorded signal will become phase inverted. As soon as the "phase invert" switch on the ADI-2 Pro FS device was turned on, the sample based signal was positive (+). This procedure prooves a phase inversion somewhere in the chain.

I tripple checked the soldering scheme from RME, and also the 4-Pin layout of my headphone manufacturer and I can say either is true:
The soldering scheme for the +/- 1/4 TRS is inverted or the device has a DSP based phase invertion.

4-Pin XLR layout https://assets.sennheiser.com/global-do … l_0218.pdf

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #355 of 594
I read about this claim of yours in the RME forum. Checking polarity by placing a speaker to a microphone is prone to error, and no one with a sane mind would rely on that. Take a freeware software like REW, generate a digital positive DC voltage, then measure the voltage using a cheap Voltmeter at the TRS pins. The polarity is right (positive voltage, I checked that when I read your thread).

So I fear I have to conclude that you continue to repeat false claims instead of checking it in a way that is easy, technically correct and bullet-proof in its result.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #356 of 594
I read about this claim of yours in the RME forum. Checking polarity by placing a speaker to a microphone is prone to error, and no one with a sane mind would rely on that. Take a freeware software like REW, generate a digital positive DC voltage, then measure the voltage using a cheap Voltmeter at the TRS pins. The polarity is right (positive voltage, I checked that when I read your thread).

So I fear I have to conclude that you continue to repeat false claims instead of checking it in a way that is easy, technically correct and bullet-proof in its result.
I am not that good at English. I should have writen it. I Googled if someone Else also had this problem. I copied it and pasted it here. I should also have written that I really love the Rme. Anyway, I Found the solution. Now I am listening again in balanced mode. It seems I have to connect the balanced cable in a specific order: Grey in the 1/4 input and black in the 3/4 input

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #357 of 594
An alternative would be to run balanced phones off the XLR sockets in the back using 2xXLR plugs. I think this is mentioned in the manual.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #358 of 594
No. The XLR output has
• Output impedance: 200 Ohm balanced, 100 Ohm unbalanced

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #359 of 594
Huh, that does sound far from optimal. Yet, how do the XLR outputs ever run unbalanced? It feels like we're going off into a tangential universe...

Mar 1, 2020 at 2:38 AM Post #360 of 594
Huh, that does sound far from optimal. Yet, how do the XLR outputs ever run unbalanced? It feels like we're going off into a tangential universe...
Maybe if you use and XLR to rca adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back