RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Nov 11, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #437 of 594
Hello! Need some help again unfortunately.

Recently purchased the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs and an Ampsandsound Mogwai SE.

I'd like to connect my computer to the ADI-2 Pro Fs, and then have the unit output the signal into analog in order to plug into my Mogwai amplifier. The back of the ADI-2 Pro has two unbalanced TS outputs (left and right). Naturally I assumed that I could purchase a dual male 1/4 TS to RCA cable, connect it to the back of the ADI-2 and then RCA into the amp, set the mode to Dig Thru (Digital Through), and we'd be in business. Unfortunately it's not working, the ADI-2 doesn't let me change the source for the "Main Output 1/2" to USB; in fact, it is greyed out and indicated that the outputs can only be used in AD/DA mode.

So how do I best accomplish what I'm after? Am I missing a setting on the ADI-2?

The ADI-2 Pro Fs also included a breakout cable accessory with two female coaxial SPDIF (RCA left and right). Should I plug this into the back of the unit, then plug in RCAs to both devices? The front facing PH 3/4 seems to be the only output that works with USB, however it is front facing, and running a cable from the front of the unit then into an amp wouldn't look very good, and it just seems wrong?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!
I don't think digital through is the mode you want . Go to chapter 17 in the manual (Modes) and set to auto , in auto the unit will select the correct mode for the connections you have . Should still work on digital through mode though so it could be the rear outputs are set too low or muted . The breakout is digital connections only the rca's are spdif out and in .

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #438 of 594
New RME ADi-2 Pro owner here after selling my non pro version of this amp. I just picked up a Moon Audio Silver Dragon adapter to enjoy the balanced functionality of the amp section. I must say it's a step up in every way.

IMG_0621(1).jpg

Jan 13, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #439 of 594
Hey guys, I just purchased the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R Black Edition! I am super excited and patiently awaiting its arrival.

I am going to be pairing it with the Hifiman Arya V2 and wanted to know what advice you guys could give me? Anything would be helpful from what cables would be good, if there are any upgrades that would be beneficial, what EQ settings might be good, anything. I would really appreciate the help!

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #440 of 594
Hey guys, I just purchased the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R Black Edition! I am super excited and patiently awaiting its arrival.
Good call! Lean back and watch the prices rise like crazy.
It doesn't look like the AKM chips will meet the demands much longer.

Of course the balanced adapter won't hurt. Can't claim to hear a difference myself, though. The unbalanced output seems to be very clean already.

As for settings, I'm sticking with the Slow filter and most my headphones seem to like a subtle +2dB bass boost. I really like the Loudness correction but I keep jumping between IEM and full-size that I can't find a setting that works for all my gear.

Jan 13, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #441 of 594

I am going to be pairing it with the Hifiman Arya V2 and wanted to know what advice you guys could give me? Anything would be helpful from what cables would be good, if there are any upgrades that would be beneficial, what EQ settings might be good, anything. I would really appreciate the help!
I just use it no eq
It’s amazing

Jan 13, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #442 of 594

not sure about arya v2, but for many of my headphones i use EQ setting from autoeq:

https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/tree/master/results

they using the harman curve as reference.

Adi 2 offers 5 band parametric EQ, but you can use treble and bass setting as additional bands. so you basically have a 5+2 band parametric EQ. unfortunately you can not save the 2 addon bands in your EQ settings. so if you change between headphones, you have to adjust it manually...

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #443 of 594
Good call! Lean back and watch the prices rise like crazy.
It doesn't look like the AKM chips will meet the demands much longer.

Of course the balanced adapter won't hurt. Can't claim to hear a difference myself, though. The unbalanced output seems to be very clean already.

As for settings, I'm sticking with the Slow filter and most my headphones seem to like a subtle +2dB bass boost. I really like the Loudness correction but I keep jumping between IEM and full-size that I can't find a setting that works for all my gear.

You would be shocked to hear how much I bought mine for! I'm fairly new to the audiophile world but I can't wait to learn and play around with all the settings. I suppose I'll have alot of experimenting to do :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #445 of 594
I was curious as there are not many reviews for the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R, would the reviews for the RME ADI 2 DAC FS more or less apply to the PRO version? Also, if you could tell me what the differences are that would be appreciated.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #446 of 594
I was curious as there are not many reviews for the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R, would the reviews for the RME ADI 2 DAC FS more or less apply to the PRO version? Also, if you could tell me what the differences are that would be appreciated.
You should check for reviews of the original ADI-2 Pro.
The FS upgrade has an improved clock (FemtoSecond accuracy, hence FS) which further reduces jitter and the chip also increased the SNR by a few dB, I believe. Nothing that would change any review.
The R is for remote. That's it.

I wrote a product history rundown on the ADI-2 Pro/DAC series here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/11/24/updated-rme-adi-2-dac-november-2019/

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #447 of 594
You should check for reviews of the original ADI-2 Pro.
The FS upgrade has an improved clock (FemtoSecond accuracy, hence FS) which further reduces jitter and the chip also increased the SNR by a few dB, I believe. Nothing that would change any review.
The R is for remote. That's it.

I wrote a product history rundown on the ADI-2 Pro/DAC series here: https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2019/11/24/updated-rme-adi-2-dac-november-2019/
Thats perfect, exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
I did see in earlier parts of this thread that you mentioned some cables but the link was not found. Would you be able to recommend some for the hifiman arya?

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #448 of 594
Any suggestions or thoughts from owners on using the PRO FS R Black edition for low impedance planar phones 13-24 ohms in balanced mode vs the unbalanced or the DAC FS headphone version in relation to power and sound quality?

I don't seem to gather that there is much or any difference in quality and power output between Balanced vs Unbalanced based on my reading of the Black edition manual, seems more geared for convenience and better for comparing 2 phones. The DAC version also seems very capable and is based on same design approach.

My usage is typical desktop DAC and the built in EQ is what driving me to RME, I don't have IEM use and if balanced output is not that different than saves me buying an expensive version, I could be completely wrong and perhaps there are settings etc that triumphs DAC version by black edition in using headphones hence checking here for all of your feedback.

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #449 of 594
A true balanced headamp will give you 2X the power. Depending how efficient your planars are you might or might not need it.

Fostex TH900mkii at 25 ohms is absolute killer out of the RME (I have the non-pro version), they're rated at 100 dB/mW. A comfortable listening level is often -50 dB with high power on.

Jan 15, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #450 of 594
If anybody has some suggestions as to what cables would be good for balanced use to pair the RME ADI 2 PRO FS R with the Hifiman Arya I would very much appreciate that. I prefer not to spend so much, less than 200 USD if possible but will look into it so a few different options would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back