RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #422 of 594
Is it true that ADI-2 Pro allows an incoming normal CD-quality tune to be upsampled to DSD quality and also record the result?

I can't answer your question but in the end it would be a fake DSD with no gain. Just higher rate of data for nothing.
Try yourself 44 KHz vs 96 KHz vs 192 KHz in blind test.

Forget upsampling... you gain nothing of it, unless you use NOS.

Best DA Filter: SD LD
2nd best DA Filter: NOS + upsampling to 96/192 KHz

Think about it :) ONE DAC, ONE AMP for EACH of two channels.

Input -> DSP -> 2 DACs -> 2 AMPs

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #423 of 594
I can't answer your question but in the end it would be a fake DSD with no gain. Just higher rate of data for nothing.
Try yourself 44 KHz vs 96 KHz vs 192 KHz in blind test.

Forget upsampling... you gain nothing of it, unless you use NOS.

Best DA Filter: SD LD
2nd best DA Filter: NOS + upsampling to 96/192 KHz

Think about it :) ONE DAC, ONE AMP for EACH of two channels.

Input -> DSP -> 2 DACs -> 2 AMPs

Thank you. I thought there was some type of an actually effective "All-to-DSD" feature in RME design to access that is similar to Sony DMP Z1's DSEE HX AI that seems to be doing a good job with the help of AI algorithms that have analyzed millions of tracks to effectively upsample normal recordings to better ones -live performances, in particular.

Sep 11, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #424 of 594
Thank you. I thought there was some type of an actually effective "All-to-DSD" feature in RME design to access that is similar to Sony DMP Z1's DSEE HX AI that seems to be doing a good job with the help of AI algorithms that have analyzed millions of tracks to effectively upsample normal recordings to better ones -live performances, in particular.

I don't know about the Pro but if I am not mistaken the ADI-2 DAC FS does have DSD direct mode. There is no volume control, so it only works with the rear panel out (XLR or RCA).

There is no upsampling and no format conversion on the non-Pro model. I don't know anything about the Pro except that it is also an ADC.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #425 of 594
Have a question for you all. I'm purchasing the ADI-2 Pro over the non-pro primarily for the balanced headphone output option. I plan to use the dual TS 1/4" outputs into RCA to connect my tube amp. Is this the right way to go?

Can't seem to find any high quality dual 1/4" TS to dual RCA cables for this. Would you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #426 of 594
Have a question for you all. I'm purchasing the ADI-2 Pro over the non-pro primarily for the balanced headphone output option. I plan to use the dual TS 1/4" outputs into RCA to connect my tube amp. Is this the right way to go?

Can't seem to find any high quality dual 1/4" TS to dual RCA cables for this. Would you guys have any suggestions?

Thank you!
You do not need the Pro version to drive an external amp. The non-Pro model has RCA and XLR outputs.

Oct 19, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #428 of 594
I'm aware of this. I want the pro model for the balanced headphone capability when I want to listen to a solid state amp.
Plug the XLR output into a solid state amp...

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #430 of 594

Thank you!
Yes that is the way to go for single ended amp connection . I think one of the custom cable builders is your only option for high quality don't think you will find them ready made . This kind of thing is available at guitar stores

s-l500.jpgHosa.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #431 of 594
I have a tube amp as mentioned. The ADI-2 Pro manual recommends using the TS outputs in the back to connect to an RCA amp.
You said you wanted it for balanced. I have no idea what you're saying. I'll stop now :D

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #432 of 594
You said you wanted it for balanced. I have no idea what you're saying. I'll stop now :D

You may have misread what I said. I'm choosing the ADI-2 Pro over the non-pro model for the balanced headphone output capability for when I want to listen to a solid state amp. I then need to also connect the ADI-2 Pro to my tube amp which only has RCA inputs; my question about finding quality dual 1/4" TS to dual RCA cables to accomplish this. Believe I have it sorted now. Went for a "HOSA HPR005X2 DUAL 1/4 INCH TS JACK TO DUAL RCA CABLE".

Thanks for trying to help.

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #433 of 594
Yes that is the way to go for single ended amp connection . I think one of the custom cable builders is your only option for high quality don't think you will find them ready made . This kind of thing is available at guitar stores

s-l500.jpgHosa.jpg

This same Hosa brand actually made a seemingly high quality OFC dual 1/4" TS to dual RCA cable, so I placed an order for one of those. :)

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #434 of 594

Thank you!

ted allen can make you ICs

tedallen0220@gmail.com

Tell him I sent you

Nov 11, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #435 of 594
Hello! Need some help again unfortunately.

Recently purchased the RME ADI-2 Pro Fs and an Ampsandsound Mogwai SE.

I'd like to connect my computer to the ADI-2 Pro Fs, and then have the unit output the signal into analog in order to plug into my Mogwai amplifier. The back of the ADI-2 Pro has two unbalanced TS outputs (left and right). Naturally I assumed that I could purchase a dual male 1/4 TS to RCA cable, connect it to the back of the ADI-2 and then RCA into the amp, set the mode to Dig Thru (Digital Through), and we'd be in business. Unfortunately it's not working, the ADI-2 doesn't let me change the source for the "Main Output 1/2" to USB; in fact, it is greyed out and indicated that the outputs can only be used in AD/DA mode.

So how do I best accomplish what I'm after? Am I missing a setting on the ADI-2?

The ADI-2 Pro Fs also included a breakout cable accessory with two female coaxial SPDIF (RCA left and right). Should I plug this into the back of the unit, then plug in RCAs to both devices? The front facing PH 3/4 seems to be the only output that works with USB, however it is front facing, and running a cable from the front of the unit then into an amp wouldn't look very good, and it just seems wrong?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back