RME ADI-2 Pro - DAC, Headamp, an a lot of more stunning features
Aug 11, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #406 of 594
each input line has its own set up , if you switch from one input to another all the settings also switch . Once you work it out you will save separate settings for different modes then everything becomes more logical .

Ahhhh

I think I will most likely use just balanced
But...right now I’m A/Bing some phones so it’s awesome to do that with this.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #407 of 594
The first 20 minutes I was totally confused... and thought it was a mistake to buy it.
After additional 10 minutes I understood the system. After additional 90 minutes was everything perfect and I saved some profiles.

Pro Tip: Set Clock manual and not on Auto.
USB + SPdif input had problems together at least for me.

Aug 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #408 of 594
The first 20 minutes I was totally confused... and thought it was a mistake to buy it.
After additional 10 minutes I understood the system. After additional 90 minutes was everything perfect and I saved some profiles.

Pro Tip: Set Clock manual and not on Auto.
USB + SPdif input had problems together at least for me.

Yessss

The RME likes SPDIF...and won’t leave it unless you turn off the power (Im using a CD player into
The RME)
What / Where do you set the clock to???

That’s the shyte that’s above my head

BTW....love absolutely LOVE the DUAL output. Omg

And the HIGH output single ended. You don’t really need the SUPER HIGH POWER but it’s amazing Balanced

Attachments

• 47D812FA-AAE5-4062-8CBC-095B4D218F78.jpeg
    47D812FA-AAE5-4062-8CBC-095B4D218F78.jpeg
    344.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BD499C49-94C5-4E26-93A6-B33F0D4002BE.jpeg
    BD499C49-94C5-4E26-93A6-B33F0D4002BE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #409 of 594
Hey there Pro people! I'm on the fence between the standard edition and the pro and I'd love some feedback on two features in particular.

Does anyone end up passing digital out to another DAC? I'm thinking I may want to use the EQ features of the RME but sometimes pass digital out to my Ares II to do the final conversion to analog. Has anyone tried something similar? Is that just too wacky?

I'm also interested in the ability to drive balanced headphones. All my cables terminate in 4-pin XLR. I've seen some dual quarter-inch to 4-pin XLR adapters. Does anyone have any experience with this? Curious if it works out ok.

Lastly, I'm curious about the power of the headphone outs. They supposedly have 1.5 watts each to offer but in my experience there are ratings and then there is real-world performance. Anyone tried driving anything tricky like Argons or DT880 600 ohm?

Really appreciate any insights!

Aug 14, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #410 of 594
I don't have the Pro but I have a 1/4 inch x 2 -> XLR cable that work with both my V280 and Brooklyn DAC+ so I guess it is wired correctly for amps that have two 1/4 inch headphone out jack, out of phase of each other.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #412 of 594
Hey there Pro people! I'm on the fence between the standard edition and the pro and I'd love some feedback on two features in particular.

Does anyone end up passing digital out to another DAC? I'm thinking I may want to use the EQ features of the RME but sometimes pass digital out to my Ares II to do the final conversion to analog. Has anyone tried something similar? Is that just too wacky?

I'm also interested in the ability to drive balanced headphones. All my cables terminate in 4-pin XLR. I've seen some dual quarter-inch to 4-pin XLR adapters. Does anyone have any experience with this? Curious if it works out ok.

Lastly, I'm curious about the power of the headphone outs. They supposedly have 1.5 watts each to offer but in my experience there are ratings and then there is real-world performance. Anyone tried driving anything tricky like Argons or DT880 600 ohm?

Really appreciate any insights!
I run mine as a usb - spdif interface to a Metrum dac quite often , it is one of the best digital interface devices on the market .
I use a dual quarter to xlr adapter no problem .
The balanced amp has plenty of power but the very low output impedance can have questionable synergy with high impedance headphones .

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #413 of 594
I run mine as a usb - spdif interface to a Metrum dac quite often , it is one of the best digital interface devices on the market .
I use a dual quarter to xlr adapter no problem .
The balanced amp has plenty of power but the very low output impedance can have questionable synergy with high impedance headphones .
Thanks for the feedback, just what I was looking for.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #414 of 594

I made this adapter by myself, the required parts (Neutrik plugs, Sommer cable) was about 20 EURO in total and you need a soldering iron, took me about 20 minutes to make it:

11245785.jpg

The wiring is explained in the user manual:

1597486579572.png

About your question with the headphone power output, the RME DAC-2 Pro FS R BE will drive your Beyerdynamic headphone with ease and a lot headroom in balanced phone mode.

Aug 24, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #415 of 594
Hi! Please help in this decision. I have the anniversary version, now I have the option to change to the latest version "FS R Black Edition" My dilemma is, is it worth the change of this aesthetic that I like a lot, is there a difference in audible improvement? I am not interested in the remote control, only the audio ... since mine is not FS nor with the latest DAC chip. This is worth it?

I mainly use it with headphones because of the balanced output. Audeze LCD-2, 3 and X

Would appreciate your help

Regards!!

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #417 of 594
Are you sure, you don’t need the remote? Once configured, it is very powerful!!

Totally safe. I only occupy a desk with headphones in a small place, rarely with monitor speakers, which are also desktop. I'm next to the team, the remote control is not justified. I just want to know if there is audible improvement with the latest versions, the manufacturer indicates that there is practically no audible improvement and only measurable.

Thanks for your answer!

Aug 24, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #418 of 594
You can buy the new remote to use with the 1st gen DAC. No reason to upgrade, the sound quality did not change.

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #420 of 594
I have the Pro Anniversary Edition version. My question was going to the last version of the Pro since it is FS and last AK4493 chip

Sorry, I am losing consciousness. You could ask on RME forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back