RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 23, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #5,566 of 6,038
I'm not telling how bad they are - as you know I own both the WM1A-2 and the RME, and I respect and use them.. but there's a new kid on the block which is an overachiever and should be considered against these - if it suits your use case functionally ofcourse.
I've not been long in this HiFi audio game. However, one thing I learned very quickly is that sound is very subjective. When people responds back to your comments stating that they either do not hear a difference between the Mojo 2 and whatever they are comparing it to or they just plain do not like the Mojo 2, you get very defensive. As I mentioned before on a different thread, it seems that you want to shove the Mojo 2 + Poly down everyones throat.

You should create a thread and name it: Mojo 2 + Polly vs WMA1-2 vs RME ADI2 DAC PRO/non Pro

Spoiler Alert!!! Mojo 2 + Polly wins

Mar 24, 2023 at 9:39 AM Post #5,568 of 6,038
I've not been long in this HiFi audio game. However, one thing I learned very quickly is that sound is very subjective. When people responds back to your comments stating that they either do not hear a difference between the Mojo 2 and whatever they are comparing it to or they just plain do not like the Mojo 2, you get very defensive. As I mentioned before on a different thread, it seems that you want to shove the Mojo 2 + Poly down everyones throat.

You should create a thread and name it: Mojo 2 + Polly vs WMA1-2 vs RME ADI2 DAC PRO/non Pro

Spoiler Alert!!! Mojo 2 + Polly wins
Some people are like that in that their preferred product must be the right one for everyone else. Unfortunately those kind of people makes a lot of forums unreliable sources of information.

The thing with the RME DACs are that, while fairly straight forward to use if you RTFM, it can be too complex for some people and they have a lot of settings that can impact the sound. E.g. the filter version of the DC protection will cause the DAC to sound brighter and adds some glare (on and off sound identical to me) and if you set de-emphasis to on (usually it is auto or not there in most products) then you will alter the sound. Having some settings "wrong" can make the DAC sound completely different.

For those that are unfamiliar with de-emphasis, Pre-/De-emphasis is an old technology that was used on early CDs and CD players in that the higher frequencies were boosted in the music on the CD (pre-emphasis) and EQed down on the CD player (de-emphasis).

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #5,569 of 6,038
Is it possible to connect to passive speakers directly to the adi2? If so what kind of wire/plugs do i need?
No you need an amp for passive speakers. I use it as a headphone DAC/amp combo on my desktop and have stereo out to a small integrated amp (NAD D 3045) for my nearfield speakers. It is not meant to drive passive speakers directly. You could probably get any power amp or integrated amp with either a single-ended stereo RCA or balanced XLR input.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #5,570 of 6,038
Some people are like that in that their preferred product must be the right one for everyone else. Unfortunately those kind of people makes a lot of forums unreliable sources of information.

The thing with the RME DACs are that, while fairly straight forward to use if you RTFM, it can be too complex for some people and they have a lot of settings that can impact the sound. E.g. the filter version of the DC protection will cause the DAC to sound brighter and adds some glare (on and off sound identical to me) and if you set de-emphasis to on (usually it is auto or not there in most products) then you will alter the sound. Having some settings "wrong" can make the DAC sound completely different.

For those that are unfamiliar with de-emphasis, Pre-/De-emphasis is an old technology that was used on early CDs and CD players in that the higher frequencies were boosted in the music on the CD (pre-emphasis) and EQed down on the CD player (de-emphasis).
I sometimes forget that I enabled loudness compensation and a bit of bass boost for late night listening and I end up listening to my gear for a week or more wondering why it sounds a bit shouty and bassy with normal listening and then it's like ah yes, I enabled this during the weekend lol.

Mar 24, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #5,571 of 6,038
No you need an amp for passive speakers. I use it as a headphone DAC/amp combo on my desktop and have stereo out to a small integrated amp (NAD D 3045) for my nearfield speakers. It is not meant to drive passive speakers directly. You could probably get any power amp or integrated amp with either a single-ended stereo RCA or balanced XLR input.
Got it thanks a lot. Any suggestions for amps? Any thoughts on
Yamaha R-S202DAB

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #5,572 of 6,038
I sometimes forget that I enabled loudness compensation and a bit of bass boost for late night listening and I end up listening to my gear for a week or more wondering why it sounds a bit shouty and bassy with normal listening and then it's like ah yes, I enabled this during the weekend lol.
Yup, I’ve definitely done that before 🤣

Mar 24, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #5,573 of 6,038
Just spoke to RME and asked if there was any chance of a return to AKM. Sadly, they have no plans currently :frowning2:

Mar 25, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #5,576 of 6,038
The Yamaha you posted earlier looks good
Anything from a big manufacturer will work well , I would go to the local dealer and see what's going, maybe an open box or demo bargain
I will go for the yamaha thanks! So in terms of connectivity the rme would be connected with the rca cable right? Anything specific i need to do in its settings?

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #5,580 of 6,038
hello,how sound diference ak version vs ess chip? does worth to buy old rme adi2 in 2023? as now are more alternatives with low valued with same sound quality?
I’ve read that there really isn’t any perceptible difference, and I think RME made a video themselves stating a similar thing

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back