RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Nov 16, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #5,341 of 6,034
So I've set up the parametric EQ on my RME ADI-2 DAC for my headphones and it sounds great, but I'm a little confused by the preamp gain value. I understand what it's for, in that it reduces the overall level of the signal by the maximum boost of any of the parameters, to prevent clipping, but I can't for the life of me figure out where to set this value on the RME ADI-2 DAC.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!RM
RME adi-2 has a great eq (i wish to be an update with 10 bands) with no distortion at all. It is the only eq i have heard that does not add or subtract anything. You should not have distortion unless you push the eq too high, which i think is normal to happen. Set auto control for gain and you should be fine. EQ is good for me, but within limits. I believe you can eq an already good headphone/speaker, in order to get the best sound, but cannot fix a terrible one.

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #5,344 of 6,034
I played around with EQ for my Sundara tonight and I clearly noticed that I got stronger deeper bass with the same settings using the first EQ band as low-shelf instead of using the bass control as low-shelf, I wonder why there is such big difference between them?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #5,345 of 6,034
I have been streaming Spotify Premium thru a Bluesound Node into my RME (and then into my headphones.) I would like to increase my fidelity. I read that Tidal won't give me any improvement over Spotify Premium because the RME doesn't handle MQA. Is there an alternative (Qobuz or Deezer) that is not that complicated to use with my RME?

Nov 27, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #5,346 of 6,034
I have been streaming Spotify Premium thru a Bluesound Node into my RME (and then into my headphones.) I would like to increase my fidelity. I read that Tidal won't give me any improvement over Spotify Premium because the RME doesn't handle MQA. Is there an alternative (Qobuz or Deezer) that is not that complicated to use with my RME?
I like Qobuz. It’s easy to use and you can use something like Soundiiz to transfer your Spotify playlists to Qobuz

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #5,352 of 6,034
Nov 28, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #5,354 of 6,034
The impedance of HD800S is not constant. So it is actually 350 to 650. :smile_cat: Especially for dynamic drivers this is the case.

B5O68NW.png

Post in thread 'Sennheiser HD800S Review (Headphone)' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...ser-hd800s-review-headphone.18424/post-602314

Dec 3, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #5,355 of 6,034
I was an Engineer for 38 years. Now I am an elderly cripple. I made many hit CD's through this box. It really ;lets us monitor with headphones. The Lavry,Apogee,Benchmark all fell short IMO. We always had to rally between Genelec nearfield monitors and DT770 Pro's. With this and better headphones such as the K872, mastering could fully be accomplished solely on headphones. The soundstage, placement, micing everything was exactly real. This new system made work much faster. What used to take me a week now took me 10-12 hours. It is a genuine tool. On page 1 of this a guy has a $129 tube amp. That can be fun. I guess it hits a bone with me because I took my job seriously. That one was not for pleasure. It easily could be though. I cannot even see hooking it up to the WA33 Elite JPS. Now that is talking though. I kind of wonder how it would sound through a cost no object amp. An Topping A90 or A30, even a Cavelli or IFI Pro will not do it justice IMO. That is all subjective. I personally would not sleep on the amp in there. That is a serious amp. It is not like an OPA1612 IC. It is a MOSFET current loopback design.

As for the LPS, I think luckily only very few people were interested in that with this. RME said not to do it. Just as Monoprice said not to subject the LP HPA to it. Then everyone cried when their LP died 2 day's later. RME, I would really listen to.

You can get generic Chinese DAC's for $400 with a Es9038AS and much better THD+N, better SNR ETC.
Made with junk components, slapped together, nonexistent quality control, one unit does not sound or measure like the next. Made in a factory with a dirt floor in China.
Or the RME is made to exacting, precise standards in cleanroom environments by highly skilled Engineers and fabricators in Germany.
I had in the past some Chinese dacs but non of them had pcb patch with soldered cables, unlike to rme adi 2 early ess versions…Every Chinese Dac I used had pcb that was tidy and clean and did not looked like they had to hurry to keep up with production…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back