RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Dec 4, 2022 at 7:39 AM Post #5,356 of 6,038
Fun stuff, this song can trigger DC Protection: HVDES - Wasteland
RME volume max, and same with pc and spotify volume. Adjust the level on your external amp if you have one.
Not an issue if you just lover the dac and pc volume and use external amp adjustment.

Did not work with youtube version.

Dec 4, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #5,357 of 6,038
Among other things, I listen to CRUNCHY Amiga MOD files of various quality and quite a few of them will trigger DC protection. Who knows what crazy things happened to some of the samples they use!

BTW: be careful since MODs can be a rabbit hole! Crossfeed is a godsend since Amiga hardware is hard pan L/R.

Dec 4, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #5,358 of 6,038
Among other things, I listen to CRUNCHY Amiga MOD files of various quality and quite a few of them will trigger DC protection. Who knows what crazy things happened to some of the samples they use!

BTW: be careful since MODs can be a rabbit hole! Crossfeed is a godsend since Amiga hardware is hard pan L/R.
An old Amiga fan here, many years a dedicated soldier of PC vs Amiga wars. It has been a long while since I listened to any MOD file, though. I used to rip music from games and demos. Good that you reminded me. I will check my favorites. :beerchug:

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #5,360 of 6,038
I'm sure it's been said somewhere but going through 354 pages would be more than I can handle right now.
So I'm wondering if the RME ADI-2 DAC pairs well with Sundara and Arya Stealth? I have Sundara at the moment and am thinking of upgrading to Arya SE later, but thought I'd take the opportunity to buy this DAC/AMP first as I'm getting a good price on it right now.

its the features you should shop for at the price above $200.
RME lacks bluetooth, USB C and MQA support. If you need those features then skip RME.

Dec 7, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #5,362 of 6,038
Looking to improve from Spotify premium, I signed up for a trial of Amazon HD. Then I discovered that my streamer, Bluesound Node, will only allow Amazon HD thru the BluOS system which is very clunky. I really want to avoid that route. Canceled the Amazon. Actually, only Spotify and Tidal can work directly, without BluOS. I am trying Tidal Hifi+ right now. Interestingly, on the RME State Overview screen Spotify Premium streams into the RME at SR of 44.1, Bit 16. Tidal Hifi (non MQA ) tracks stream at 44.1 SR & 24 bit. MQA tracks stream at 88.2 SR & 24 bit ! I have no way of comparing the sound quality of the same track in Hifi vs. MQA. However, both Hifi and Master tracks clearly sound better than Spotify Premium.

My favorite music genre is Smooth Jazz which is not the most popular of genres. Only about 15-20% of the albums are currently MQA, the remainder are Hifi.

Dec 10, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #5,363 of 6,038
There is truly something weird about this DAC. I am talking from using Arya V2 perspective.

If we get past that it is a very neutral and flat sounding dac….smoooth and veeery clean.

This smoothnes or clean sounding character, cuts of a lot of details to my ears. Its like it becomes more holographic with some big “holes” missing parts.

I seriously doubt AryaV2 is a good pair with this DAC. It feels so weak/slow now that I have some time using it.

What headphones is the best to pair with this dac?

Focals or Sennheisers?

Dec 10, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #5,364 of 6,038
There is truly something weird about this DAC. I am talking from using Arya V2 perspective.

If we get past that it is a very neutral and flat sounding dac….smoooth and veeery clean.

This smoothnes or clean sounding character, cuts of a lot of details to my ears. Its like it becomes more holographic with some big “holes” missing parts.

I seriously doubt AryaV2 is a good pair with this DAC. It feels so weak/slow now that I have some time using it.

Focals or Sennheisers?
Well it won’t be anything to do with the ‘DAC’ as that is totally transparent and converts digital to analogue completely neutrally.

Maybe you feel the headphone amp is not to your liking. It obviously has full EQ so you can tune to your preference

Dec 10, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #5,365 of 6,038
maybe its the amp. Never thought of that. Will try it.

I thought maybe a good ddc and spdif coax would fire up some soul to the dac also.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #5,366 of 6,038

Focals or Sennheisers?
RME develops professional tools, meaning transparent in every possible way with least amount of additives. Then it gives you possibilities of tweaking to your liking or for compensating the imperfections of your headphone tuning, which is mainly the EQ. This is for both the DAC and amplifier, which are both technically beyond human hearing perfect and clean.

So there's no specific pairing that it aims for. In fact, I don't see why anyone would buy the ADI-2 and not use the DSP features to tune to a specific preference. This is also what I would suggest you to do. Invest some time to figure out what you can do with it and how you can tune it to your liking, with any headphone you have.

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #5,367 of 6,038
RME develops professional tools, meaning transparent in every possible way with least amount of additives. Then it gives you possibilities of tweaking to your liking or for compensating the imperfections of your headphone tuning, which is mainly the EQ. This is for both the DAC and amplifier, which are both technically beyond human hearing perfect and clean.

So there's no specific pairing that it aims for. In fact, I don't see why anyone would buy the ADI-2 and not use the DSP features to tune to a specific preference. This is also what I would suggest you to do. Invest some time to figure out what you can do with it and how you can tune it to your liking, with any headphone you have.
It has a dry/mat tone no matter the tuning. It makes the mid recessed to my ears. The treble is clear but the mids are hollow

Dec 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #5,368 of 6,038

I agree with your point broadly: it's sort of a waste of potential to not use the amazing DSP features. However, even without those, it remains a remarkably clean, decidedly capable AIO in a very small case.

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #5,369 of 6,038

Focals or Sennheisers?
Which rme adi 2fs dac version do you have, Ess or the older AKM?

Dec 10, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #5,370 of 6,038
Which rme adi 2fs dac version do you have, Ess or the older AKM?
Why does it matter?
It has a dry/mat tone no matter the tuning. It makes the mid recessed to my ears. The treble is clear but the mids are hollow
Then you are looking for a device with added imperfections and distortion, and you have room to improve in your tweaking skills. Best look for something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back