RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 24, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #5,071 of 6,002
Is there anyone who uses the RME also for gaming and can tell me what the audio latency is like? Are there any audio delays compared to the onboard sound for example?
Not really any noticeable delay, but I do use optical instead of USB to avoid noise transfer and sample rate issues. The RME driver only has automatic sample rate changes when using ASIO so it is better to use optical or coaxial for applications that do not use ASIO.

I have used USB for gaming a bit and with a 512 buffer and one SD filters doesn't cause issues with fast paced gaming, For slow paced or casual gaming you are fine with a 1024 buffer and any of the filters.

Jul 24, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #5,072 of 6,002
Rme is known in the pro audio community for having the best, most stable, lowest latency drivers around. You can not find a lower latency dac/amp. Minimum you can set the buffer to is 32 samples.

I do. There's no latency.

Not really any noticeable delay, but I do use optical instead of USB to avoid noise transfer and sample rate issues. The RME driver only has automatic sample rate changes when using ASIO so it is better to use optical or coaxial for applications that do not use ASIO.

I have used USB for gaming a bit and with a 512 buffer and one SD filters doesn't cause issues with fast paced gaming, For slow paced or casual gaming you are fine with a 1024 buffer and any of the filters.

Thank you very much for the reply. This helps me a lot!

Another question: which sounds better between the RME ADI-2 DAC FS (ESS version) and the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R? EDIT: I will wait for the RME ADI-2/4 PRO SE DAC with a 4,4mm balanced output.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #5,073 of 6,002
New power supplies from RME coming sometime in September. Not confirmed yet

Attachments

• FE8CEF30-1147-4E04-AD7E-94020A876809.jpeg
    FE8CEF30-1147-4E04-AD7E-94020A876809.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #5,075 of 6,002
Is the new power supply supposed to improve performance or is it battery powered for portability? RME swore up and down that upgrading power supplies was a waste of money lol.

Jul 30, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #5,076 of 6,002
Is the new power supply supposed to improve performance or is it battery powered for portability? RME swore up and down that upgrading power supplies was a waste of money lol.
Also curious about this. They said a better power supply won't make a difference. What does this bring to the table ?

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #5,077 of 6,002
Also curious about this. They said a better power supply won't make a difference. What does this bring to the table ?
RME doesn't accept that a different power supply can make an improvement to their existing ADI-2, they are just providing linear powersupply for anyone who "thinks" it might bring improvements. So, in a way it's like saying; we believe it brings zero benefits, but if you want to get one anyway and pay us some cash then we'll happily sell you one

Jul 30, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #5,078 of 6,002
I've been comparing the new Macbook Pro 14 headphone out with the ADI-2 and it shockingly comes close (with HD800S and some other IEMs)... Apple have done a stellar job; it'll replace most fancy dongles out there easily.. Only my R2R dac sounds different enough, but between the delta sigma DAC I have it'll happily compete with most of them, even the RME! (when it comes to sound quality specifically, but ofcourse RME is a little more resolving and technical, but we're talking few percent here)

Jul 30, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #5,085 of 6,002
How does one stack the DAC with the power supply ? They seem, different
In my experience, it’s best to keep the power supply some distance away, to avoid any noise or interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back