RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 3, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #4,981 of 6,005
Fun stuff, with RME if you have high impedance headphones, use xlr. I a/b RCA VS XLR (to SA-1) with my ADX5000 and there is a difference in low end, slightly more dynamic presentation. Midrange and treble showd no difference and initially i tought that there is no difference. RCA has 100Ω impedance and XLR has 200Ω so there might be the reason for mor energy in the low end. I dont believe that this is due to cable quality and if both were 150Ω i dont think there would be a difference.
RCA outputs on the back panel are 100 ohms impedance. Nobody runs headphones off those.

The headphone jack is 0.1 ohms impedance,

Jun 3, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #4,983 of 6,005
I believe the (to SA-1) in the post refers to a Singxer SA-1 headphone amp

Yes that is what i ment
Then my bad. What I said is not applicable in this case (but nevertheless correct for a HP output)

Note to self - must read posts thoroughly before splaffing my hands on a keyboard.

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #4,990 of 6,005
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #4,991 of 6,005
The new version will have 4.4mm output
We should clarify, it is not a new version of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC this thread is about, it is an upgraded pro version which will be more expensive than the current pro version.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #4,992 of 6,005
We should clarify, it is not a new version of the RME ADI-2 FS DAC this thread is about, it is an upgraded pro version which will be more expensive than the current pro version.
I, for one, cannot wait.

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #4,993 of 6,005
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #4,994 of 6,005
I, for one, cannot wait.

Same here. I would put in my order now if they would let me!
I for one am a little bit more cautious. Not that I don't believe that this upgraded version won't be any good, I'm sure it will be fantastic - it's RME after all. It's more to do with what would I gain above my original first gen (with the AK4490). I fear that I would gain little more than some "paper" improvements that are honestly not going to be audible, at least in my particular usage case and setting.

The 4.4 balanced is irrelevant to me as none of my headphones are balanced, nor do I see any requirement for headphones to be balanced - but that's just me. If that's for you then go for it.

I've been around expensive hobbies for more time (and money) that I would care to share, and one thing I've learned is that chasing after the latest and greatest often nets you little more than pride of ownership and bragging rights - especially with technology that's mature such as camera lenses and audio production gear, which can cost a hell of a lot. Often it turns out that it's way better to buy an older model rather than the newer model.

Maybe I'm getting older and less prone to impulse, but I would suggest that unless there really is something that you really need from the new model, or there is a significant improvement in a particular aspect that applies to you, then it'll probably be a better idea to save the money and stick with the old one, at least for the time being.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #4,995 of 6,005

Pretty sure those picks show 2, 6.35 mm jacks that can be operated in balanced (ala the current ADI-2 Pro FS-R Black), with a new additional SE 3.5 mm jack in the middle. Just look at the diameters in the pick, the center jack is half the size of the 1/4 inchers, not 2/3... the 2nd link even mentions it's a 3.5 mm in the center.

Not saying there isn't a new 4.4 mm model in the works (no idea either way), but that's not what's pictured there as far as I can tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back