RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #4,968 of 6,005
I must say the RME ADI-2 FS paired with the Topping A90 has a more pronounced and authoritative low end, and slightly crisper sound overall. I'm really enjoying this pairing with my Focal Clear MG and LCD-XC.
20220312_123040.jpg
I have the A90 hooked up to another DAC. Thinking of streamlining. How did you run it from the RME, and what settings did you use to bypass the RME internal amp? Would like SE and balanced. Picture of the back would be appreciated. I certainly don’t want to screw it up... ha. Thanks!

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #4,969 of 6,005
I have the A90 hooked up to another DAC. Thinking of streamlining. How did you run it from the RME, and what settings did you use to bypass the RME internal amp? Would like SE and balanced. Picture of the back would be appreciated. I certainly don’t want to screw it up... ha. Thanks!
I believe he just has two RCA's going from the output of the RME ADI 2 DAC, to the Input of the A90 Amp. Alternative, he could have used two XLR to XLR short interconnects to connect both devices, which would be done like this: RME ADI 2 DAC output connected to A90 Amp input. This will set the Dac into 'Line out' mode, and will bypass the Amp of the device, and use the amp of the A90. The headphones would be plugged in to the A90 for audio.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #4,970 of 6,005
Has anyone here tried the headphone out with HiFiMan Edition XS headphones. I'm looking to get an all in one solution for my desktop and want to make sure the headphone out of the RME performs well with these headphones. Thanks.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #4,972 of 6,005
Worked fantastic with them. The rme I find is really good with planars.
Thanks for your reply, that's reassuring! It's a tossup between the RME and the Matrix mini-1 Pro 3 (I like it due to the Roon streaming capabilities, but the RME also has me intrigued with the ability to use EQ right in the DAC.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #4,973 of 6,005
Thanks for your reply, that's reassuring! It's a tossup between the RME and the Matrix mini-1 Pro 3 (I like it due to the Roon streaming capabilities, but the RME also has me intrigued with the ability to use EQ right in the DAC.
I’m not into room streaming but every headphone I have owned I always adjust with eq (normally it’s a bass shelf of some sort) and I also use different devices so having that eq across headphones and devices is perfect.

Apr 30, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #4,974 of 6,005
I’m not into room streaming but every headphone I have owned I always adjust with eq (normally it’s a bass shelf of some sort) and I also use different devices so having that eq across headphones and devices is perfect.
Yes that is a huge advantage of the RME, as it's source independent. I can EQ in Roon but it's only for Roon content not other sources such as Apple Music, movies etc.

Apr 30, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #4,975 of 6,005
hey guys I am considering ADI-2 for my HD800s.

Not the best choice for 300 ohm Sennheisers. Do you have an amp?

Jun 2, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #4,977 of 6,005
Fun stuff, with RME if you have high impedance headphones, use xlr. I a/b RCA VS XLR (to SA-1) with my ADX5000 and there is a difference in low end, slightly more dynamic presentation. Midrange and treble showd no difference and initially i tought that there is no difference. RCA has 100Ω impedance and XLR has 200Ω so there might be the reason for mor energy in the low end. I dont believe that this is due to cable quality and if both were 150Ω i dont think there would be a difference.

Jun 2, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #4,978 of 6,005
Fun stuff, with RME if you have high impedance headphones, use xlr. I a/b RCA VS XLR (to SA-1) with my ADX5000 and there is a difference in low end, slightly more dynamic presentation. Midrange and treble showd no difference and initially i tought that there is no difference. RCA has 100Ω impedance and XLR has 200Ω so there might be the reason for mor energy in the low end. I dont believe that this is due to cable quality and if both were 150Ω i dont think there would be a difference.
As a general rule the output impedance of a headphone amp shouldn't exceed 1/8th of the impedance of the headphone. Now by rights if you're using XLR as a source at 200Ω then your headphones should be at least 1600Ω.

In fact the lower the output impedance the better in all cases.

My feeling is that you're getting a frequency response shift that happens with the mismatched impedances that you like rather than it being actually correct.

But if you like it, then knock yourself out - I've long since given up on what is considered correct and what is not considered correct in HiFi

Jun 2, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #4,979 of 6,005
As a general rule the output impedance of a headphone amp shouldn't exceed 1/8th of the impedance of the headphone. Now by rights if you're using XLR as a source at 200Ω then your headphones should be at least 1600Ω.

In fact the lower the output impedance the better in all cases.

My feeling is that you're getting a frequency response shift that happens with the mismatched impedances that you like rather than it being actually correct.

But if you like it, then knock yourself out - I've long since given up on what is considered correct and what is not considered correct in HiFi
I believe the (to SA-1) in the post refers to a Singxer SA-1 headphone amp

Jun 3, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #4,980 of 6,005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back