RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 6, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #4,726 of 6,034
I wonder if someone here had the ADI DAC and could compare it to the matrix mini i3 (pro).

Im Looking for my personal "endgame" DAC and I would use both with a headphone amp.

The ADI DAC has probably more EQ features but I'm not really sure if I'm going to use that stuff.

Same for the mini i3. EQ, MQA is not that interesting to me. Roon endpoint and airplay is a "maybe".

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #4,727 of 6,034
This isn't really specific to the RME, but it's maybe something more people here might have experience with. I am experiencing what I think is a lot of USB jitter with the RME (and other DACs).

I'm trying to see if it's related to running parallels too.
I'm calling it jitter, but basically audio skips as if the CD is dirty :). It's not specific to any music player.

Last thing I should add is this is on an Apple M1 Pro. I can't consistently produce it. I'm going to try and leave parallels off and see if it stops happening.
I have the exact same problem. M1 Pro, parallels, skipping/cutting out.

Have you found any solution? I have tried leaving parallels closed but it still happens. It happens much more when parallels is running, but still happens when it is not. I have been using the built in headphone port for a few days now because I got sick of troubleshooting the RME.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #4,728 of 6,034

Have you found any solution? I have tried leaving parallels closed but it still happens. It happens much more when parallels is running, but still happens when it is not. I have been using the built in headphone port for a few days now because I got sick of troubleshooting the RME.
The problem wasn't even specific to RME, i had the same issue with my jds element 2. To be honest I just changed over to using my ipad pro. Another positive of that is I get bit perfect music (Apple Music).

It definitely seems specific to Parallels in my case, or at least from what I can tell. I haven't had it happen with parallels closed but sometimes it'll frequently occur on just one song when running parallels. I toyed with turning off all of the usb sharing. but no go. JDS had responded back to me and hinted at it was a common issue with the new M1 mac's in general.

Either way in the end like I said I moved to just using my IPad Pro (it's the 2018 version) for music.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #4,729 of 6,034

Does the matrix mini i3 have the same problem with the M1 Mac?

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:56 PM Post #4,731 of 6,034
The problem wasn't even specific to RME, i had the same issue with my jds element 2. To be honest I just changed over to using my ipad pro. Another positive of that is I get bit perfect music (Apple Music).

It definitely seems specific to Parallels in my case, or at least from what I can tell. I haven't had it happen with parallels closed but sometimes it'll frequently occur on just one song when running parallels. I toyed with turning off all of the usb sharing. but no go. JDS had responded back to me and hinted at it was a common issue with the new M1 mac's in general.

Either way in the end like I said I moved to just using my IPad Pro (it's the 2018 version) for music.
I did some more digging and I agree. It's a Mac issue.

Jan 6, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #4,732 of 6,034
I find those to be the real deal - tried the settings for both the Empyrean's and Utopia's and was blown away by the sound.

I'll also say that I love the RME but didn't (probably still don't) know how to take advantage of it's capability, first and foremost the parametic EQ, which I know nothing about. I thought I liked a certain type of EQ sound, usually done via whatever player I was using and very elementary (simple U-shape, for example). The more I would tinker with each individual setting I would find that while it may have solved the issue I was using the slider for (more bass or less treble, for example), it would degrade the sum of the parts....which would cause further tinkering....which would lead to freq's being all over the place and an incredibly unnatural, odd sound. The problem was I don't like a pure flat sound...ie just turning off all EQ altogether. The settings from that site make everything come together, in my opinion. Nothing overshadows something else....everything sounds natural. A monumental game-changer for me personally.
Totally agree with you. I’ve settled into a custom setting that sounds good to my ears, and have just left it there, across a wide spectrum of music (everything but rap & opera). I should probably tinker with it a bit but not sure I really want to bother.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #4,733 of 6,034
Where to buy RMe adi 2 Dac that have a good price in USA ?
LunchboxAudio.com is where I got mine from. No tax, free shipping, and at the time I got it brand new for $1,150. I believe it's back to the usual $1,300 for now.

I've never messed with the settings past bare essentials to get it up and running with the amp next to it, but may dabble in the future, don't really care enough, I like my sound the way it is. I have the Empyrean.
20220108_005242_HDR.jpg

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #4,734 of 6,034
Hello, I´m thinking about the ADI2 like DAC for ipad mini music server. I would like to question about new version of chip - i heard that ESS isn´t "ideal" in comparsion to previous AKM, it´s a dramatical different or "something" in 1-2% order... Second, I have got offer to Moon HAD230 - do you have any opinion about compare this two DACs, please? Thanx for advice!

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4,735 of 6,034
LunchboxAudio.com is where I got mine from. No tax, free shipping, and at the time I got it brand new for $1,150. I believe it's back to the usual $1,300 for now.

I've never messed with the settings past bare essentials to get it up and running with the amp next to it, but may dabble in the future, don't really care enough, I like my sound the way it is. I have the Empyrean.
20220108_005242_HDR.jpg
hi, what is with the sticker on top of the RME ? Also, while you are at it, compare the Geshelli Erish balanced with the amp section of the RME. Could you share your impression for fun ?

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #4,738 of 6,034
Hello, I´m thinking about the ADI2 like DAC for ipad mini music server. I would like to question about new version of chip - i heard that ESS isn´t "ideal" in comparsion to previous AKM, it´s a dramatical different or "something" in 1-2% order... Second, I have got offer to Moon HAD230 - do you have any opinion about compare this two DACs, please? Thanx for advice!
Have used both. Zero (0) difference

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #4,740 of 6,034

Rather than something like "hear / say", suggest that you should go to the RME User Forum, there is a thread dedicated on the diff of chips used, rather than 2nd guessing. long story short, the change from AKM to ESS hasn't compromised the DAC's high technical standards and specs, albeit there are some design diff between the 2 chips like filters used

Users who are viewing this thread

Back