RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #3,931 of 6,034
The headphone output has priority over the IEM output. As long as you have headphones plugged in the IEM output remains silent.
Interesting, maybe we have a different revisions of the hardware or firmware (V .34 for me), but for me they were definitely active at the same time, unplugging and replugging the 6.35mm jack doesn’t trigger any change.

You can see here I have both plugged in and it still shows IEM on the screen (and both were playing). 32AA1288-DBC2-41B8-94E1-0D039CBA16B4.jpeg

Feb 3, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #3,932 of 6,034
Interesting, maybe we have a different revisions of the hardware or firmware (V .34 for me), but for me they were definitely active at the same time, unplugging and replugging the 6.35mm jack doesn’t trigger any change.

You can see here I have both plugged in and it still shows IEM on the screen (and both were playing).32AA1288-DBC2-41B8-94E1-0D039CBA16B4.jpeg
My bad. I did not actually stick the IEM in my ears just held it close and I did not hear it is on as it was very silent. I do not normally use IEMs and I rushed with the answer. Kion is right. Both outputs work simultaneously.

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #3,933 of 6,034
My bad. I did not actually stick the IEM in my ears just held it close and I did not hear it is on as it was very silent. I do not normally use IEMs and I rushed with the answer. Kion is right. Both outputs work simultaneously.
Out of curiosity, does the screen show Phone or IEM as the “active output” for you when both are plugged in? I guess you see Phone which made you believe it took priority.

What I found interesting is that when you turn the volume knob, it changes the volume for both outputs, regardless of what the screen says is currently active.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #3,934 of 6,034
Out of curiosity, does the screen show Phone or IEM for you when both are plugged in? I guess you see Phone which made you believe it took priority.

What I found interesting is that when you turn the volume knob, it changes the volume for both outputs, regardless of what the screen says is currently active.
Yes, the screen was showing phones.

Feb 4, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,936 of 6,034
Feb 4, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,938 of 6,034
20210204_160721.jpg

I ordered this headphone stand. The bottom fits perfect under the rme adi 2 and it looks like 1 unit . Very clean and space saving. It was a bit short i had to space it with some spacers at the back. I wanted to share this idea with you maybe some one like it and want to do the same20210204_162809.jpg

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07KWV2GW2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_DZWVBHCGRFXWYKQHM573?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Very nice and good idea. Top

Ah, nice one! Pretty much the same as my RME on the base of my LG monitor, it fits just fine

IMG_1264.jpeg
Good place and looks identical.

Feb 7, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #3,941 of 6,034
Hi
I have been looking at the Rme Dac or possibly the Qutest. I like to plug and play and a bit daunted about understanding the RMEs functions.
is it easy enough to set up?
Also I have a Cayin tube amp could this be connected too?
Thanks

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,942 of 6,034
Hi
I have been looking at the Rme Dac or possibly the Qutest. I like to plug and play and a bit daunted about understanding the RMEs functions.
Thanks

Qutest is most definitely more plug & play. Rme is not that difficult to set up but If you want to use EQ it gets confusing IMO.

Chibs

Feb 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #3,943 of 6,034
Hi
Thanks
I haven't purchased mine yet but I've done quite a bit of studying. I had the same concern that with all of the adjustments I might get so deep into all of that and make it worse than it was before I started. The RME website has a video that shows the features of the newest models. It shows a simple way to reset everything back to factory defaults. That's a great feature and would make me willing to try a lot more things. As far as hooking it up to your amp, I think you can hook up any amp that has RCA or balanced inputs. If the amp has a volume control, you should be able to set the outputs of the RME to fixed level. To be sure I would give them a call in Florida, they're great about explaining things

Feb 7, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #3,944 of 6,034
It’s just such a sexy unit. How does the amp portion perform? More specifically, how does it sound compared to the THX 789? I read the 789 is better on paper and that’s the one I have (and love) but shelling out $1200 for just a DAC is a tough pill for me to swallow, even for a device as nice as this. So I would sell the 789 and just use the RME. If I pulled the trigger.

Feb 7, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #3,945 of 6,034
I have the ADI-2 and the THX 789....it's a great combo. But, I would be perfectly satisfied using the RME alone. In my humble opinion, I'd say the 789 makes the background quieter and the sound warmer. I'd describe it as the RME alone is for more critical listening, where every single noise is heard (sometimes that's good, sometimes bad), while going through the THX you can just sit back and enjoy the listen. For example, listening to 'Jesus Doesn't Want Me For a Sunbeam' from Nirvana's Unplugged album, at the end of the song the crowd claps. With the RME every single clap is super crisp and separated, but almost too much so that's it's a little abrasive to the ear. With the THX the detail is still there but the abrasiveness is gone. Maybe some of that could be EQ'd away when going back and forth, but that's simply unplugging from one and going straight into the other. Weird for me to have that opinion since my quest was always for the most detailed sound, and to say that too much detail is detrimental to the sound is not something I expected. It's nice to have the option t listen either way, and maybe the effect is minimized using various headphones (I'm using Fostex TH900 mk2's).

I'd say the RME setup can be as exhausting as you make it. I honestly haven't even tried any of the fine tuning EQ options....I EQ through the source (JRiver on a desktop PC). Although I have played a bit with the bass and treble knob adj's and they work well. The biggest thing I noticed as far as simple "on/off" impacts with the RME were items in the I/O menu, which aren't nearly as intimidating. In fact, the biggest difference I found was the "Loudness" function, which is a button on the remote. Turning it on really brought out the sound detail mentioned above....but again, almost too much at times.

My comparisons are very limited as I only have a Mojo. But I like the capabilities and the sound options with the RME (for example the loudness mentioned above) that are absent in DAC's you simply plug into. But I'll certainly admit that can be exhausting as well, as you're always wondering "will it sound better if I adjust this". But I'd still rather have the option.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back