RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 16, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #2,372 of 6,005
Anyone compared RME with Questyle CMA400i?

May 16, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #2,373 of 6,005
Hi, I am considering upgrading to RME ADI-2 DAC but doing research about it is like a jungle...
Seriously, feels like they've been re-using the same name for like 10 years. I find ADI-2 from 2012...
Like what is "FS" in the name, "SteadyClock FS?" but how come it is present on the non-fs (in name) model? :confused:
Pro non-pro... Which one is the latest model?

Can someone please post/link me to a page with all ADI-2 models (with release year) and perhaps just a "brief" comment about their differences? :bow:

It feels like buying a TV where the manufacturers always put some arbitrary regional number to models so that you never feel certain that you're reading a review about the model you actually have in mind... and comparing prices becomes harder.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,374 of 6,005
The most up to date version of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS has the AKM ak4493 DAC chip, which boosted measurements a little, and an updated remote. I own the ak4490 model I purchased a year or so ago, and it is awesome.
I wouldn't waste the extra money on the Pro model, features you probably won't need if all you are looking for is a solid DAC, with a nice built in headphone amp as a bonus.
Not that the ADI-2 DAC FS doesn't have a shitload of neat features, as it does.

May 16, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,375 of 6,005
Hi, I am considering upgrading to RME ADI-2 DAC but doing research about it is like a jungle...
Seriously, feels like they've been re-using the same name for like 10 years. I find ADI-2 from 2012...
Like what is "FS" in the name, "SteadyClock FS?" but how come it is present on the non-fs (in name) model? :confused:

Can someone please post/link me to a page with all ADI-2 models (with release year) and perhaps just a "brief" comment about their differences? :bow:

It feels like buying a TV where the manufacturers always put some arbitrary regional number to models so that you never feel certain that you're reading a review about the model you actually have in mind... and comparing prices becomes harder.

As far as I know they sell out pretty quickly and there are not any NOS 1st gen RME ADI-2 DACs for sale.

Manufacturer page for ADI-2 DAC FS 2nd gen https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-dac.html
Manufacturer page for ADI-2 DAC FS Pro https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

May 16, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,376 of 6,005

The ADI2 is perhaps the best value for money DAC/amp in early 2020. FS means femtosecond which is one quadrillionth of a second. This basically shows the level of accuracy of the clock in the DAC. Regarding sound quality, the highlights are speed, clarity, and tightness.
The latest model uses the AK4493 chip vs. the 4490. There is no visual or audtitional difference between them, but they come with different remotes. Good news is that you can buy the new remote for your older version of ADI2.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #2,377 of 6,005
Thanks @frogmeat69 @gimmeheadroom @betula for the explanations & motivating comments.
Makes sense that RME's official site list the most recent products. However in stores, old items might be available with risk of some mislabeling.
In a store near me (bax-shop), "RME ADI-2 Pro FS R AD/DA converter" for £1,579.00
And same store has "RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-Channel AD/DA Converter" for £1,119.00
Is the difference only in "R" for remote? Do you believe both have FS and AK4493 described by @betula

May 16, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,378 of 6,005
Thanks @frogmeat69 @gimmeheadroom @betula for the explanations & motivating comments.
Makes sense that RME's official site list the most recent products. However in stores, old items might be available with risk of some mislabeling.
In a store near me (bax-shop), "RME ADI-2 Pro FS R AD/DA converter" for £1,579.00
And same store has "RME ADI-2 Pro FS 2-Channel AD/DA Converter" for £1,119.00
Is the difference only in "R" for remote? Do you believe both have FS and AK4493 described by @betula
This version is all you need.

May 16, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #2,382 of 6,005
I’m not in the market as I just recently bought mine but I’m curious, why are you selling?
this covid...i had to switch industries and now need something more portable, something with a battery, perhaps even a DAP of sorts...i hate to do it, but currenlty cant afford to have 2 devices...i got a hugo 2 and may have to make that my sole device, maybe ill just buy the 2go...idk.

i sure will miss the rme eq and featureset....

maybe i wont sell...please talk me out of it!

May 16, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #2,383 of 6,005
this covid...i had to switch industries and now need something more portable, something with a battery, perhaps even a DAP of sorts...i hate to do it, but currenlty cant afford to have 2 devices...i got a hugo 2 and may have to make that my sole device, maybe ill just buy the 2go...idk.

i sure will miss the rme eq and featureset....

maybe i wont sell...please talk me out of it!

Bummer, best of luck to you! Btw I don’t know if Chord made big improvements with 2go but I recently tried Poly and it didn’t go well. If you do go that route I hope it works out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back