RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 12, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,192 of 6,034
Can anyone explain the "digital and analog" volume control? I can't find info on it, just read somewhere that that is what it had.

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,193 of 6,034
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,194 of 6,034
Hi folks. I'm using Arya with RME ADI-2 DAC (AK4493) on low gain because when I switch to high gain music gets more congested and looses its deepness (more flat and 2D). But on high gain music has more details and dynamics. ADI-2 is very flexible in configuration and it might be possible to tweak it somehow to get better sense of deepness and instrument separation on high gain. Does anyone has the same issues with ADI-2? Maybe I need more brain burn-in )

Apr 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2,195 of 6,034
Apr 12, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #2,197 of 6,034
You can get an adapter (Wmc-Nwh10) that lets you use the Sony DAPs as a USB audio player that can connect to a DAC.

oh wow, I had no idea, damn I'm such a nubb :) might pick that up...thanks!

ps. any idea if this is supported with the ZX300 ?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #2,199 of 6,034
I have to say, the guys at RME did a better job with the ASIO Windows driver than Chord did. With the RME DAC I can swap between Foobar and YouTube by just pausing the playback on Foodbar and I also don't have to change the Windows audio playback device with extra two clicks. With the TT2 I have to close Foobar and change the playback device. Small annoyance, but for someone who often changes from listening to music to online content and vice versa this adds to the convenience level a lot.

Apr 14, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #2,200 of 6,034
Today I switched the color from green to amber and it's like I have a whole new toy. Also re-watched the excellent RME video on setting the EQ and experimenting with the slightly adjusted sound on two of my headphones. This unit is amazing. [purchased Dec 2018 and the honeymoon period going strong.]

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:14 AM Post #2,201 of 6,034
I'm thinking about buying a used ADI-2 and had a few questions:
  1. I plan to use these with a set of Etymotic ER4XR and Mr. Speakers / Massdrop Ether CX. Does anyone have experience using this unit with either of those? I'd love to hear your feedback.
  2. I had a custom cable made for my ER4XR that includes a working remote/mic. The mic works just fine with my Galaxy S10e and my macbook. Should my mic work when plugged into the ADI-2's IEM port or is that not supported. I couldn't find anything when searching, but guessing it won't work.
  3. Just to be clear, I can just hold the volume button to switch which output I'm using (IEM, 1/4" or RCA outs) right? I don't really want to mess with menus to switch this since I do it frequently. And I plan to put the remote away.
  4. Will the volume automatically be saved when I change it on all of the outputs? For example, I'm listening to my headphones on the 1/4" and turn the volume to 25%. I switch outputs to IEM and set the volume to 15%. If I switch outputs again back to the 1/4" port will it still be set to 25%?
Thanks guys and sorry for the questions. Big purchase for me (took me 2 years to save for it!)

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #2,202 of 6,034
I'm thinking about buying a used ADI-2 and had a few questions:
  1. I plan to use these with a set of Etymotic ER4XR and Mr. Speakers / Massdrop Ether CX. Does anyone have experience using this unit with either of those? I'd love to hear your feedback.
  2. I had a custom cable made for my ER4XR that includes a working remote/mic. The mic works just fine with my Galaxy S10e and my macbook. Should my mic work when plugged into the ADI-2's IEM port or is that not supported. I couldn't find anything when searching, but guessing it won't work.
  3. Just to be clear, I can just hold the volume button to switch which output I'm using (IEM, 1/4" or RCA outs) right? I don't really want to mess with menus to switch this since I do it frequently. And I plan to put the remote away.
  4. Will the volume automatically be saved when I change it on all of the outputs? For example, I'm listening to my headphones on the 1/4" and turn the volume to 25%. I switch outputs to IEM and set the volume to 15%. If I switch outputs again back to the 1/4" port will it still be set to 25%?
Thanks guys and sorry for the questions. Big purchase for me (took me 2 years to save for it!)

2 - Well the IEM's will work, but the mic won't as it has no input.
3 - Just hold it down for a bit and it will switch. You can also modify any of the buttons to do whatever you want, before this feature was introduced I used the "vol" key to switch outputs.
4 - All 3 outputs stay to whatever you set it to. I have different volumes for all of them and it always go back to whatever I set it to last.

Apr 21, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #2,203 of 6,034
2 - Well the IEM's will work, but the mic won't as it has no input.
3 - Just hold it down for a bit and it will switch. You can also modify any of the buttons to do whatever you want, before this feature was introduced I used the "vol" key to switch outputs.
4 - All 3 outputs stay to whatever you set it to. I have different volumes for all of them and it always go back to whatever I set it to last.

Awesome, thanks so much for your help.

Apr 22, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #2,205 of 6,034
So question all you ADI-2 Owners.. what amps are you pairing with it? I'm currently going direct out of mine and curious if there are any good amp synergies known.. I've looked around, but haven't seen too many clear paths. Not to say I'm not pleased with the output from ADI-2, but curious none the less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back