RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 27, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #2,146 of 6,005
ADI-2 + Beyerdynamic Xelento and this song is an unbelievable experience.

With that pair all the album is an out of this world experience.

And in hard times is good to travel to somewhere else.

Great weekend for all!

Mar 28, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #2,147 of 6,005
Congrats man. Stay safe and stay positive. The ADI-2 is a treat. If you haven't already, look up on Youtube the excellent 5 minute videos on how to set your EQ profiles for multiple headphones, etc. They are posted directly by RME and an easier introduction to the rich features than the manual.

Hi!
Thanks for the support.

I have the RME for two days now.
I use it with the qobuz app.
On a win 10 laptop.
I think since I did the firmware update to v34 the samplerate is not switching automatically anymore.
Installed the drivers. And de installed them again.
I use wasapi exclusive mode.
But the rme is stuck on 96.
IMG_20200328_111800.jpg
I saw you ask some questions about this issue on the rme forum. Did you get an answer?

IMG_20200328_111744.jpg

Thanks!

Mar 29, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #2,148 of 6,005
Just reinstalled the latest (Version 0.9716) of the RME MADIface usb driver.
Now sample rate switching in the Qobuz app seems to work ...

I also almost "passed" the bit perfect test in foobar. Everything's fine except the 32bit

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #2,149 of 6,005
It is a professional audio interface without the ADC functionality, and with a sonic signature designed to be as flat and as detailed as possible so that producers, mixing engineers and mastering engineers can make accurate decisions on the final musical product.

I’d really like one of these units for my office/studio. I record a lot of voice over, Will this accept an XLR/TRS out from my mic preamp and convert to digital? The rack mount RME fire face units look like major overkill for my needs with several inputs and outputs.

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:25 AM Post #2,152 of 6,005
I think 34 is for the power ring LED, there was a component change. No functional changes between 33 and 34.

Mar 29, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #2,153 of 6,005
I’d really like one of these units for my office/studio. I record a lot of voice over, Will this accept an XLR/TRS out from my mic preamp and convert to digital? The rack mount RME fire face units look like major overkill for my needs with several inputs and outputs.

No, I don't believe there is any ADC function.

Mar 29, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #2,154 of 6,005
There are some pretty good and cheap USB audio interfaces that provide ADC for TRS input. There must be for XLR also, I am just not aware of any off the top of my head.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,156 of 6,005

For that you'll need the ADI-2 Pro, which is quite a bit more expensive - https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

Be aware that you will need a mic preamp (which you've already got) to feed the inputs, there are no RCA type inputs or outputs - it's a pro device, and there's no 3.5mm HP jack, but you can combine the 2 6.3mm HP jacks for balanced headphone operation - if you think that's important.

Mar 29, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,157 of 6,005
Anyone have experience comparing the amp portions of the ADI-DAC and Pro-FSR (AK4493 chipsets)? For someone not interested in any ADC functionality, is the price differential to gain the more powerful balanced outputs warranted? I understand that the DAC portion of the devices is identical. I'm mainly looking to power ZMF Eikons for now but that can change in the future.

Mar 29, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #2,158 of 6,005
For that you'll need the ADI-2 Pro, which is quite a bit more expensive - https://www.rme-audio.de/adi-2-pro-fs-be.html

Be aware that you will need a mic preamp (which you've already got) to feed the inputs, there are no RCA type inputs or outputs - it's a pro device, and there's no 3.5mm HP jack, but you can combine the 2 6.3mm HP jacks for balanced headphone operation - if you think that's important.

Thanks. Looks ideal for me and there is a rack mount accessory too.

Mar 31, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #2,159 of 6,005
I have been in this hobby for many years (10+?). I have exponentially improved my gear from a Fiio X3 (first gen!) with Sennheiser IE80 to Meze Empyrean and Chord Hugo TT2 as my budget allowed. The road between these two combos was, oh man, mighty long.
I have tried and/or owned most available headphones on the market, including TOTL ones like Verité, 800S, Utopia, LCD4. I owned many DACs and amps from Chord Qutest to Questyle 600i and Taurus MKII.
I find my current combo of TT2 and Empyrean absolutely beautiful, by far the best I have ever heard or owned. I did try the MScaler with this combo which was absolutely phenomenal, but for another £3500. That is unfortunately out of my current budget.

In all fairness, my TT2 and Empy combo is already pretty much out of my budget. This is why I am considering selling them and using the money elsewhere in life like travelling which is my other main hobby. (I know, 2020 won't be the best year for travelling.)

Most TOTL gear and TOTL headphones to my experience strive to represent lifelike vocals and instruments; most of this can be found in the 'midrange'. It seems, these days a 'high-end' audio consumer is still considered to be a classical&jazz fan. IMO this is why the Utopia or even the 800S is not an absolute success. They both lack at the bass department when you compare them to TOTL planars. You don't really need that planar bass extension and clarity/dynamics with classical or jazz but you definitely need it with modern music.

If you like modern genres, or electronic music like ambient (Carbon Based Lifeforms) perhaps you don't need to spend 5 times more you can actually afford.
In my experience, after a certain level in audio the extra money you pay goes for more lifelike sound representation. But this is only relevant to you if you are into acoustic instruments or vocals.

It is all about finding your priorities and your goals.

I have impulse bought an ADI2 and LCD2C, so I will have a chance to compare them to my existing TT2/Empyrean combo.
The TT2 and Empy of course completely destroys the ADI2 with the 2C, no question about it. That said, the ADI2 with the 2C is a pretty fine combo, actually quite excellent for the price: fine sound for £1400 versus spectacular sound for £6000.

I will report back (in 2-3 days) once I have received my ADI2 (first purchase) and my LCD2C (fourth purchase).
There are two potential outcomes:
1, Considering my financial needs and plans I decide to sell the Empy and my TT2, keeping the ADI2 and LCD2C. Enjoying music plus adding £3800 (!) to my bank account.
2, Me liking ADI 2 a lot but can't let Empy go, so saving 'only' £2200 by selling my spectacular TT2 and using ADI2 with Empy.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #2,160 of 6,005
I’ve just returned an RME ADI-2 DAC FS after thinking of doing what you are doing, to save a little cash. Without wishing to ruffle any feathers with happy RME ADI-2 DAC users in their own thread, I was left very disappointed with the ADI, but only in direct comparison to TT2. Just lacked the TT2s incredible detail levels, it’s gorgeous treble, it’s dynamic snap, sound-staging and that ability to really ‘hear into’ the production. By direct comparidon, I felt the RME felt kind of ‘flat’, by comparison. According to the objective measurements are all crowd, they should both sound the same. I wish that had been the case as it would have saved me over £3k. I’ll likely end up keeping TT2 if I don’t get any buyers soon. Sometimes you don’t know what you had until it’s gone... I suspect it’ll be this way with TT2, even though the extra funds would be nice to have again. The only relatively affordable DAC I’ve also tried, using a ‘standard’ DAC chipset, which was reasonably close in performance to the TT2 was the Benchmark DAC3 HGC. If I do indeed ‘downgrade’ it’ll likely be to a DAC3 again. Good luck with whatever direction you choose to go in.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back