RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #2,071 of 6,034
I bought an ADI-2 DAC last month to use with my iPad Pro and Z7m2 headphone setup. It worked out pretty well. I was still playing with setting and connection methods, etc. For fun, I put it in my home system (Speakers, Amps, etc.). I was surprised how well this DAC sounded in my system. It is staying there. LOL

So, then I was back t figuring out what to use for my iPad Pro and Z7m2 headphone setup. I figured out some EQ settings for the Z7m2 with the RME and I'm really liking the sound. The IEM connection has enough power for my headphones and the layering is so nice through the Low Power connection. I don't know why the layering is so much better on the low power setting, but to my ears with numerous tests, there is a noticeable difference. I know some folks will say that shouldn't be true based on the measurements, but I do hear the difference.

So, I like the RME in my home setup, and I like the RME for my headphone setup at work. Although the RME is small enough to transport, I don't want to unhook it every morning and every night so I can use it in both places. So I was forced to buy another RME ADI-2. Crazy eh? LOL.

Fortunately, I found another used one at a fair price.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,072 of 6,034
I bought an ADI-2 DAC last month to use with my iPad Pro and Z7m2 headphone setup. It worked out pretty well. I was still playing with setting and connection methods, etc. For fun, I put it in my home system (Speakers, Amps, etc.). I was surprised how well this DAC sounded in my system. It is staying there. LOL

So, then I was back t figuring out what to use for my iPad Pro and Z7m2 headphone setup. I figured out some EQ settings for the Z7m2 with the RME and I'm really liking the sound. The IEM connection has enough power for my headphones and the layering is so nice through the Low Power connection. I don't know why the layering is so much better on the low power setting, but to my ears with numerous tests, there is a noticeable difference. I know some folks will say that shouldn't be true based on the measurements, but I do hear the difference.

So, I like the RME in my home setup, and I like the RME for my headphone setup at work. Although the RME is small enough to transport, I don't want to unhook it every morning and every night so I can use it in both places. So I was forced to buy another RME ADI-2. Fortunately, I found another used one at a fair price. Crazy, eh?
I'm glad you've come to love it. The iem out is truly special, and dead silent even with very very sensitive iems

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #2,074 of 6,034
The ether flow C 1.1 is the best pair I heard with the rme adi-2 dac, absolutely love it.
Selling my u18t soon because of it.
The focal stellia absolutely splendid with the rme adi-2 dac, both powered just well.
Stop It!!! Haven't I spent enough money this month on new gear? LOL :gs1000smile:

Yeah kidding... It's great to hear what headphones will work with this Dac/Amp.

Feb 28, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #2,075 of 6,034
Stop It!!! Haven't I spent enough money this month on new gear? LOL :gs1000smile:

Yeah kidding... It's great to hear what headphones will work with this Dac/Amp.
Absolutely amazing and silent. Expecially the 3.5mm (iem out)
Slap a phonitor amp on it and have sex with your ears

Audio is worse than traveling sometimes, as far as spending goes, the rabbit hole

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #2,076 of 6,034
5V/3.0A, 9V/2.5A, 12V/2.0A, 15V/1.5A

Which power plug do I need for rme adi-2 dac as far as proper power cord and plug goes?
I know the power in the rme adi-2 dac is great and down well blah blah blah...
But I wanna know

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #2,077 of 6,034
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #2,078 of 6,034
Hey Head-Fi, I finally picked up an ADI-2 DAC fs and honestly I must be missing something... Running from:
USB (Win10 WASAPI Roon playing Tidal) -> RME -> Balanced -> Cavalli Liquid Gold -> Balanced Ether Flow C 1.1

With the Liquid Gold, I can A/B test by running multiple inputs and switching input on the front. I am also running:
USB (Win10 ASIO Roon playing Tidal) -> Aune T1 Mk2 w/ Amprex Gold Pin NoS Cryo -> Single Ended -> Cavalli Liquid Gold -> Balanced Ether Flow C 1.1

When switching between the above two inputs, the Aune BLOWS the RME out of the water in all aspects. Its like the sound goes from completely veiled inside of my head on the RME to holographic 3d all around me using the Aune. I just can't bring myself to believe the soundstage of the RME is that tight and veiled? I am running RME at 16dB gain out (Vol is -3dB, Ref Level is +13 dBu, Balanced Output is +6dBu).

RME has no EQ, no Bass/Treble tuning, no crossfeed set. Hoping y'all can point me in a direction as to what I am doing wrong?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,079 of 6,034
1. did you install the RME drivers
2. +16 dB is over driving. My fixed output setting is +7 dB. Not sure if what you said is even possible with the RME
3. RME has EQ, loudness, crossfeed. Check youtube for menu walkthrough videos

Mar 2, 2020 at 1:24 AM Post #2,080 of 6,034
1. did you install the RME drivers
2. +16 dB is over driving. My fixed output setting is +7 dB. Not sure if what you said is even possible with the RME
3. RME has EQ, loudness, crossfeed. Check youtube for menu walkthrough videos
1. Installed and then uninstalled because operationally better using WASAPI after they fixed the bugs.
2. Vol is -3dB, Ref Level is +13 dBu, Balanced Output is +6dBu
3. I've run through them, but am just evaluating flat since the Aune has no EQ. It's hard to describe but its like standard def vs 4k. With the Aune I can hear things way in the distance all the way up to near. With the RME, everything sounds like it's coming from inside my head. I don't know any EQ that can necessarily change that and those are the ideas I'm looking for.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #2,081 of 6,034
Maybe try running the RME SE into your amp. That's one obvious difference.

I can't unravel how you're coming up with the true output level. +6dB sounds ok but I'm sure that is a lot higher than what the AUNE is putting out. I think you wanna make sure the true output level is not more than that. I would turn off auto-ref and set fixed-output levels.

And if it still doesn't help, post on the RME forums.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #2,085 of 6,034

Users who are viewing this thread

Back