RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jan 14, 2018 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 6,005
Stream of Consciousness Day 1
  • DA Filter options including FR curves and impulse responses to show you what they do (in the manual). I mightprefer "Slow," even over NOS.
  • Crossfeed works on line out, not just headphone outputs
  • You can diagnose your USB! Super useful for peace of mind. USB diagnosis field right in the MADIface driver control panel. Bit Test will tell you if anything went wrong when you playback their super quick test files.
  • The best manual I've ever seen for any hi-fi product. OMG I love reading it. They also give you a nice glossy-paper ringed manual with it. Something fun to thumb through while listening.
  • Exceptionally clean, even from USB.
  • Built-in 5 band parametric equalizer that shows you exactly what it's doing. Has 20 slots to save and the ability to instantly recall previous settings (back and forth) to listen for changes.
  • Nice remote with programmable buttons.
  • Independent settings for line out, HP out, and IEM out for volume, crossfeed, etc. It automatically mutes the line out (you can change that) and recalls the volume of the appropriate output. Also quickly ramps volume up, but takes long enough that you can change the volume or take off your headphones if you're about to deafen yourself
  • 9 Setups that you can save (and factory default) and recall. You can set and save every setting on the thing apart from EQ, then program these to the 4 programmable remote buttons to very easily swap between settings. Do I prefer the Slow filter with a bit of Crossfeed or SD Sharp with no Crossfeed? One button, boom.
  • Display settings can be changed to have a dark background instead of the default light. You can swap the default state screen between State Overview (cool stats), a really nice FR spectrum display, or a simple display that shows volume and basic output info. You can also turn on auto-dark to turn off the display 10 seconds after you adjust something on the unit (3 seconds if you change something via the remote).
  • I'm liking this more than any DS DAC I can remember. Could be because it's paired with better gear otherwise.
  • As a transportable unit, this thing is unbelievably good. You can run it off a battery pack (not included) if you need to use it in a portable situation. Doesn't need a nice power supply because it cleans everything up internally.
  • This is probably the best single unit setup I can imagine for using at the office. It's compact, cleans up USB, cleans up power, works with full-size cans and IEMs, and doesn't look garish at all.
  • For PRT fans, you can invert phase of both or either channel on the unit instead of doing it in software. The DSP is before the DAC, so the DAC and anything its connected to should benefit from the Phase Reversal Trick.
  • A feature I won't use but that would be great for some is that you can record S/PDIF (coax, optical, or AES with an adapter) into the USB. I think this means you could use a CD player to record stuff? I dunno. Might be useful for some guitar FX units.
  • Neat feature: The faster you turn a knob, the bigger steps the value takes. One notch, when turned slowly, is 0.5dB of volume. Turn it fast, and one notch is several dB.
  • The headphone output on this is quite a bit better than I was anticipating. Better than most solid state amps I've used. It's a shame that the size of the unit doesn't allow for an XLR output since the DAC is balanced. Maybe in a v2 in a few years, they can relocate the power button and squeeze a balanced headphone out in.
  • The intelligent Loudness function is pretty slick. Basically, you set the bass and treble gain levels of the loudness feature, then set the minimum volume at which it reaches those boosts. As you approach the threshold, it interpolates how much boost is needed to retain some punch and sparkle even at lower volumes.
  • Bug: If you rapidly swap between coax and USB inputs (for me, that means swapping inputs every couple of seconds to compare their sound), after several swaps the USB goes into robotic music through spring-loaded tin cans mode. I think that means it loses sync with the clock (it uses the internal clock for USB and slaves to external input via coax). If I go back to coax for a couple of seconds then back to USB, it corrects itself (as does stopping/starting the music).
  • Quirk: It seems to present itself as a different device to Windows for every sample rate. I noticed because switching to a 96kHz album from 44.1 suddenly started piping the Overwatch League game I was watching through the ADI-2 DAC because Windows always makes new devices the default (simultaneously with JRiver ASIO, so kinda cool that it can do that). Checking my playback devices showed that it didn't have the custom icon (RME logo) or name I gave the device, then I noticed that 96kHz was the only sample rate shown. Sure enough, it does this once for each supported sample rate (then Windows remembers your settings for that SR from then on). Doesn't seem to do it for DSD.
  • Speaking of DSD... you can do direct DSD via line outs only since you're not allowed to manipulate the volume. It silences the headphone outs if you turn on DSD Direct. I believe it converts DSD to PCM internally if you leave it off, which is default.
  • The menus recall where you last were when you go back to them. The screen is nice and crisp on the unit and menu navigation and manipulation is really nice after you acclimate to it.
  • In addition to the parametric EQ, you have bass/treble knobs. You can define the cutoff frequency and Q factor.
  • I love the integration of some of the old school things like Loudness, Bass/Treble, EQ, and balance controls brought up to modern spec. It's like an homage to old receivers, but reimagined as alien technology.
  • The USB on this thing really is pretty stellar. It's at least in the same playing field as Schiit Gen 5. I'm pretty sure I still prefer the Lynx AES16e feeding it AES via coax, but it's good enough to not get too much nervosa over using it.
  • I'm a little bit in love with this thing right now. It's not just the honeymoon period, it's the wedding night.
  • The tech on the ADI-2 DAC is astonishingly good. It's so freakin' versatile.
I guess they saved the balanced out for the Pro version. Thanks for the quick impressions. I definitely have my eye on this. Looks a lot like the ADI- 2 Pro Anniversary edition minus the see through top, some extra features and the almost double the price tag.

Jan 17, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #18 of 6,005
Day 2 Stream of Consciousness
  • The USB input on the ADI-2 DAC is very good. While I slightly prefer using the Lynx AES16e with it, it's really unnecessary for all practical purposes (no digitus, it's just a bit less delineated and deft with the "micro"-stuff).
  • USB Nervosa, Solved? This has to be the most reassuring component of any USB driver I've ever used:
    upload_2018-1-13_23-23-22.png

• Combined with the Bit Test on the unit that tells me that indeed the bits I'm sending are bitperfect:
    upload_2018-1-13_23-28-54.png

• The headphone out on this thing is surprisingly good. Unlike some DAC's that happen to have a headphone output that I've used, this does not sound at all like an afterthought. I have it in Hi-Power mode and it works very well with the Audeze LCD2Cs and more than adequately with the Sennheiser HD650s.
  • I'm using the Jan Meier crossfeed setting as well as inverting the phase on the right channel for the Phase Reversal Trick
  • I still haven't fully settled on a DAC filter. SD Slow, Slow, and NOS are are getting some head time.
  • The noise floor is dead silence. I can max out the volume on the ADI-2 DAC and the Project Sunrise III or Liquid Crimson and hear nothing without music playing on Audeze LCD2 Classics.
  • While I've seen no confirmation that this uses the AK4490, I can't imagine they managed to get the AK4497 in there yet, and the specs largely match the ADI-2 Pro (which uses the AK4490). It also has the right number of filters (4497 has 6), does DSD256 instead of DSD512, etc.
  • I've decided that I like the Loudness function. It'll eventually be one of the main reasons I store Setups (the Loudness floor needs to be different for different headphones and music software). I have it set fairly low both in amplitude and minimum volume required to kick in, but it's nice as I frequently listen at very low volumes.
  • I wish the remote could be programmed with a couple more options. DAC Filter cycling would be nice for testing. I'd also like to be able to assign a button to scroll through the main Meter Screens (the default screen). The only way to do that is press encoder button 1 or 2.
  • Is it as organic and "right" sounding as a really good R-2R DAC? No, not really. But, it's so versatile and appeals way too much to my desire to tweak things I'm currently willing to make that sacrifice. I was looking for black Gumby before, but I'm not right now. Maybe something will strike my fancy again one day (it will) and this will end up as my work unit.
  • Speaking of work... I mentioned this once already, but this the ideal work combo unit for me. Your USB and power can suck and it'll still work great. It's small an unassuming enough to sit quietly off to the side without drawing too much attention. And it works with IEMs. Probably. I still haven't tried anyway with it (okay fine, I just tried some right now and there's no hiss. My G10s are at work). Now I'll need to get myself a second one later in the year just for work...
Here's an image from some AKM/Teac AK4490 marketing material that is sure to taint your confirmation bias:
soundcolor.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 6,005
Couple notes...
  • I find myself migrating to the Short Delay Slow filter most of the time. No particular reasons I can enunciate other than "it sounds good to me."
  • I've started transporting it in a carrying case to work daily because I miss it when I don't have it around.
  • It's been great with my Future Sonics Spectrum G10 IEMs.
  • I mentioned that I often use Crossfeed and Loudness. I only use Loudness when I listen at low volume (I just turn it all the way off otherwise). Crossfeed I do tend to use with LCD2Cs but generally not with HD650s.
  • I've been trying to decide if I hear any clear differences between its USB alone and having a Schiit Wyrd in front of it. Maybe the Wyrd combo sounds a little more clinical? Probably in my head. I'm just leaving the Wyrd out of the chain because it seems unneeded.
  • I picked up a Chanzon 12V 5A power adapter for work so I can disconnect the power at home and transport the unit alone. It's been working great for me so far and is actually UL listed unlike a lot of the PSUs I saw on Amazon.
  • The optical input is even surprisingly good coming straight out of my motherboard. Magical jitter correction or some such.

Jan 26, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #21 of 6,005
Couple notes...
  • I find myself migrating to the Short Delay Slow filter most of the time. No particular reasons I can enunciate other than "it sounds good to me."
  • I've started transporting it in a carrying case to work daily because I miss it when I don't have it around.
  • It's been great with my Future Sonics Spectrum G10 IEMs.
  • I mentioned that I often use Crossfeed and Loudness. I only use Loudness when I listen at low volume (I just turn it all the way off otherwise). Crossfeed I do tend to use with LCD2Cs but generally not with HD650s.
  • I've been trying to decide if I hear any clear differences between its USB alone and having a Schiit Wyrd in front of it. Maybe the Wyrd combo sounds a little more clinical? Probably in my head. I'm just leaving the Wyrd out of the chain because it seems unneeded.
  • I picked up a Chanzon 12V 5A power adapter for work so I can disconnect the power at home and transport the unit alone. It's been working great for me so far and is actually UL listed unlike a lot of the PSUs I saw on Amazon.
  • The optical input is even surprisingly good coming straight out of my motherboard. Magical jitter correction or some such.
I really appreciate the super informative write-ups of this product. It’s so new there’s hardly any info about it online, plus RME seems to fly under the radar in the audiophile community—though this dac might change that. Do you think it’s worth the investment if it’s going to be used mainly as a standalone dac? I got an SPL Phonitor 2 headphone amp recently and suspect this would make a great pairing with it, but wonder if I wouldn’t be wasting some money given how much of the cost is going towards the bad-ass headphone amp in the Adi-2.

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #23 of 6,005
Anybody know if the difference between this one and the pro is non-pro does not include A to D section? Is that all? I can live with that for half the price.

Interesting that the DAC has an headphone out as well.

Edit: The pro has two headphone outs for balanced mode. I guessing twice the power if using both.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #24 of 6,005
I really appreciate the super informative write-ups of this product. It’s so new there’s hardly any info about it online, plus RME seems to fly under the radar in the audiophile community—though this dac might change that. Do you think it’s worth the investment if it’s going to be used mainly as a standalone dac? I got an SPL Phonitor 2 headphone amp recently and suspect this would make a great pairing with it, but wonder if I wouldn’t be wasting some money given how much of the cost is going towards the bad-ass headphone amp in the Adi-2.

I use it primarily as a standalone DAC myself. The headphone amp is good, but definitely not top of the line compared to audiophile offerings.

At home, it's hooked up to my Cavalli Liquid Crimson. At work, it's either connected to my Garage1217 Project Sunrise III or I just use its IEM output by itself.

Anybody know if the difference between this one and the pro is non-pro does not include A to D section? Is that all? I can live with that for half the price.

Interesting that the DAC has an headphone out as well.

Edit: The pro has two headphone outs for balanced mode. I guessing twice the power if using both.

If you don't need the ADC, you're better off with the ADI-2 DAC than Pro in my opinion.

You can spend the money saved on a better amp than what's inside and the ADI-2 DAC is slightly better as a standalone DAC than the Pro (read their mega manuals and specs).

What's a better amp that costs less than the difference, you ask? Depends on your headphones and preferences, but for me I'd prefer these to the integrated headphone out:
  • The aforementioned Garage1217 Project Sunrise III (or Horizon) with a nice linear power supply or atomicbob Noise Nuke.
  • Schiit Jotunheim with or without a Saga
  • Probably a bunch of others

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #26 of 6,005
Sorry that I am a bit disappointed with that. I thought you use the opportunity to edit your review a bit, but it seems just copy and paste from the stuff published here before.

Reading it again I noticed a statement that might need explanation:

The headphone output on this is quite a bit better than I was anticipating. Better than most solid state amps I've used. It's a shame that the size of the unit doesn't allow for an XLR output since the DAC is balanced. Maybe in a v2 in a few years, they can relocate the power button and squeeze a balanced headphone out in.

This sounds like balanced is already there and just needs the correct output socket - which can't be further from the truth. For a balanced headphone output you don't need 2 headphone output stages (stereo), but 4 (2 x stereo). That's why the Pro can do it, it has two complete stereo Extreme Power outputs. The DAC has only one. For offering balanced again they would need to go back to the Pro concept, and I am quite sure that removing one Extreme Power stereo output was intentional to meet the current price point...

Jan 27, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #27 of 6,005
@lowvolume It is mostly the impressions I posted here compiled into one place. I wrote them on my website then copied them over here.

If you've read this entire thread, you already know everything I think about the ADI-2 DAC. It's more for folks who want one place to read them all.

Thanks for pointing that out on the balanced out. I'll update that point. I was thinking of it more as a convenience feature rather than a higher power output.

I'll be editing the review here and there throughout the weekend, but it won't be anything groundbreaking. I've already explored all the ADI-2 DAC has to offer and have formulated my impressions of it.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #28 of 6,005
Jan 27, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #29 of 6,005
i see no mention of the dsd rate anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back