RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Oct 8, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #5,221 of 6,005
Sounds like dude needs something that 'colors' the sound. Or makes it sound 'better'. Like a Chord TT2, a tube amp or similar. RME products just reproduce what is in the recording. Nothing else.
There is a cold powdery sugar feel to this dac. I don´t believe it reproduce very good. I have worked with RME products before. I know what they are known for, sound flat and stable drivers. But since they moved into the HIFI and have alot of settings, it still manages sound flat and borring.

Is there any settings I am missing?

Oct 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #5,222 of 6,005
There is a cold powdery sugar feel to this dac. I don´t believe it reproduce very good. I have worked with RME products before. I know what they are known for, sound flat and stable drivers. But since they moved into the HIFI and have alot of settings, it still manages sound flat and borring.

Is there any settings I am missing?
I honestly don't think so. I think your ears are just used to the iFi sound (your signature). Which is def more colored (especially with tube modes and such). Nothing wrong with that. The cleaner, some might say 'flat', some might say 'sterile' or un colored sound may not be for you. Me I want all of the flavor or color to come from the headphones, not the amp/dac. Just preference. Myself for example: I used to listen to some tube amps but I grew tires of the extreme coloration and steered more towards a purer sound.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #5,223 of 6,005
I honestly don't think so. I think your ears are just used to the iFi sound (your signature). Which is def more colored (especially with tube modes and such). Nothing wrong with that. The cleaner, some might say 'flat', some might say 'sterile' or un colored sound may not be for you. Me I want all of the flavor or color to come from the headphones, not the amp/dac. Just preference. Myself for example: I used to listen to some tube amps but I grew tires of the extreme coloration and steered more towards a purer sound.
If it is supposed to be a mirror of a production. It should give me the studio vibes.

I dont feel the placement/panning of the instruments and elements

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #5,224 of 6,005
If it is supposed to be a mirror of a production. It should give me the studio vibes.
I have been in a few studios/recording rooms. It does not usually sound like peope think it will. I have a CD that I use for reference. I was in the room when it was recorded as well as probably a hundred hours of practices before hand. When I listen to that CD through my RME ADI-2 Pro and my LCD-XC it gets me all tingly, not because it sounds amazing (it does) but because it brings me back to the moment. Anything extra or missing would ruin the experience for me. Nothing is there that does not belong, nothing is missing. If I listened to it through a very good tube amp like my previous Ampsandsound Leeloo/Pendant, it would sound very good, but nowhere near accurate.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #5,225 of 6,005
I ended up returning the unit with the faulty display-sticking with my AresII...
Not gonna lie, if I bought anything, regardless of reputation, and it arrived defective, I would send it back and look elsewhere. Having said all that, I have now owned four different versions of the RME ADI-2 line and all have been reliable.

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #5,227 of 6,005
Not gonna lie, if I bought anything, regardless of reputation, and it arrived defective, I would send it back and look elsewhere. Having said all that, I have now owned four different versions of the RME ADI-2 line and all have been reliable.
I would like to believe it but i have read many issues with defective units, and also after my experience with the weird cable patch (at a brand new sealed rme adi 2) i doubt about the reliability. Worst of all is that there was not any comment form MC, the guy that usually responce about adi2 fs. Also very suspicious that EVERY thread commenting on this issue was closed. I will let you make the conclusions about reliability and trustiness...

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #5,228 of 6,005
After the RME DAC FS has had some burnin, the iPurifier3 did not go well, it felt like a veil. It sounds better without it. I am trying so hard to like this DAC. Its soo lifeless. No seperation, everything sound mashed together in a dry coating. Vocal are too much in the "background"

Even the most joyeful, vibing songs feels dead. No musicality.

What can I do to push some life into this. What Im I doing wrong?

EQ is off
Loudness on Bass/Treble on 3dB and Low Ref level at -20dB
B/T 3/2.5 47Hz/7kHz

Currently settings:
Auto Ref Level on
HiPower on
Mono off
Width 1
MS proc off
Polarity off
Crossfeed off
DA filter SD Sharp
De-emphasis off
Dual EQ off
Lock Volume off
Balance C
Loopback to USB off
Dig DC Protection ON
I have never exprerienced soundwise no separation or whatever wrong with rmw adi2 fs (ess version). In contrary everything is crystal clear, with wide stage ( without much depth, but of course it is not missing at all...) , and i could also in contrary say that vocals are not too much in the background. Either it is something with your unit, or there is a setting that you miss. Rme as a whole is the best unit i know, that does everything in a very high level, even the headphone outputs are capable as a good as a "dedicated" amp would be.

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #5,229 of 6,005
I will try it. Thanks!

I have never exprerienced soundwise no separation or whatever wrong with rmw adi2 fs (ess version). In contrary everything is crystal clear, with wide stage ( without much depth, but of course it is not missing at all...) , and i could also in contrary say that vocals are not too much in the background. Either it is something with your unit, or there is a setting that you miss. Rme as a whole is the best unit i know, that does everything in a very high level, even the headphone outputs are capable as a good as a "dedicated" amp would be.
Are you using the stock charger og a LPS?

I firmwared to 51 and. Well

I think I will try it in Cubase(ASIO) I cant see any ASIO driver. Im gonna test it next weekend.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #5,231 of 6,005

I dont feel the placement/panning of the instruments and elements
If you haven't already you should go over your settings. Out of the box a few things have to be tweaked.

I didn't read backwards to see what headphones and chain you're using with it.

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #5,232 of 6,005
From the latest post on the RME forums:
"Differences ADI-2 Pro to ADI-2/4 Pro - Brief Overview

Extended and improved RefLevel structure: +1 dBu, +7 dBu, +13 dBu, +19 dBu, +24 dBu
Same RefLevels on Phones Outputs as 3 power states: IEM (+1 dBu), Low Power (+7 dBu), High Power (+19 dBu)
Independent RefLevels for Line Out 1/2 and Phones Out 1/2

Phones Output Power raised to 2.1 W unbalanced and 3.4 Watt balanced, 32 Ohm
New True Balanced Phones output scheme
Therefore Balanced Phones output independent from Line Out 1/2, full use at the same time
Added menu page for configuration of Phones 1/2
Dual Volume control now also available in balanced phones mode
Pentaconn connector for ease of use

Input impedance unbalanced raised to 45k - > compatible to Moving Magnet cartridges
Input impedance balanced raised to 90k - > ideal for measurements

Improved input stage, no added distortion even at lowest RefLevel that needs amplification

ADC: Selected ES9822Pro for lowest THD, highest THD+N and SNR
AD measurement bandwidth flat up to 200 kHz
AD filters selectable even at 384 kHz sample rate

DA frequency response expanded from 110 kHz to 350 kHz
DA filters selectable even at 768 kHz sample rate
De-Emphasis available even with NOS selected
New output stage delivers full SNR even at low RefLevel +1 dBu

Rear TRS outputs can be switched from 1/2 to 3/4
Trigger Out to control power amps etc

Full MM cartridge support: RIAA EQ and various gains included
Special feature Bass Mono to reduce rumble and groove noise

Comes with new, semi-grounded 40 Watts SMPS with IEC socket
And 114 page printed manual"

Oct 9, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #5,233 of 6,005
So I've been doing lots of research today on a next upgrade for me. Currently I have the Schiit Modius/Jotunheim2 stack. I'm strongly considering an upgrade to the BF2 (new version) from schiit. My Jot2 has plenty of power for my headphones.
Today I've started looking into the RME here. My main concern is I do not want a new amp, simply a dac. I get that I can get a 2 for 1 out of this and always use my current setup as an alt listening table.
I love the feature set of the RME as well. I'm curious if there is another DAC (only) out there with a similar feature set for my Jot2 to stack with? Or I could always still use my Jot2 with the RME I know.
I don't typically enjoy doing EQ, but if I do I would want it in a format like this. I absolutely do not want to use software EQ that I have to rely on windows for.

So then my other option is something like the BF2 along with a Lokius and I still would be paying less then the RME. I know I'm probably asking some that will be biased to the RME here, but hopefully also some non-biased opinion of this. I love the Schiit ecosystem, but I'm not married to it.

Oct 9, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #5,234 of 6,005
So I've been doing lots of research today on a next upgrade for me. Currently I have the Schiit Modius/Jotunheim2 stack. I'm strongly considering an upgrade to the BF2 (new version) from schiit. My Jot2 has plenty of power for my headphones.
Today I've started looking into the RME here. My main concern is I do not want a new amp, simply a dac. I get that I can get a 2 for 1 out of this and always use my current setup as an alt listening table.
I love the feature set of the RME as well. I'm curious if there is another DAC (only) out there with a similar feature set for my Jot2 to stack with? Or I could always still use my Jot2 with the RME I know.
I don't typically enjoy doing EQ, but if I do I would want it in a format like this. I absolutely do not want to use software EQ that I have to rely on windows for.

So then my other option is something like the BF2 along with a Lokius and I still would be paying less then the RME. I know I'm probably asking some that will be biased to the RME here, but hopefully also some non-biased opinion of this. I love the Schiit ecosystem, but I'm not married to it.
I have looked long and hard, starting four years ago, at every potential option at ANY price point. There are zero dac only options with even a similar feature set. Even if you broaden your search to dac/amps there is nothing. The only thing that has a VERY few of the key features of the RME is the now discontinued Monoprice desktop dac/amp(also owned it). Nowhere near as functional though. The other options are Schiit- Loki, Lokius, Loki max (I very much want one of these, just don't need it). The Qudelix 5k is available too but again very restricted functionality (I have two of them).

-Yes I am a RME "fanboy". But with good reason. There is literally nothing else on the market with the functionality and features of the RME ADI-2 DAC line at any price.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #5,235 of 6,005

Perhaps I may be of help. I have 2 Jotunheims (1 for the office and the other at home). The setup at home is OG BF2 > Jot 2, while the office is EITR > ADI-2 > Jot 2.
The reason I became interested with the RME is because my work computer does not give me the option to EQ via 3rd party software, like EqualizerAPO. I enjoy Schiit gear as well but I picked one up from the classified section for a decent price and thought the worst is that I can sell it back out.

Long story short, I have zero regrets and it is 100% a keeper for me. Like many have said before me, there is no other product in the current market today that comes with the amount of features and ability to tweak sound like the RME ADI-2 at this price point. This thing is an absolute gem. The AKM version I have is basically a Modius supercharged with features. I've got multiple EQ profiles saved for my headphones and it simply takes a push of a knob. You can change everything from advanced cross-feed settings to the colour of the digital meters (also a plus!).

RME is also a solid company that continues to provide driver / firmware updates. As I type this post, I found out that RME even provides the ability to purchase replacement digital displays should the original crap out - which seems amazing considering most companies would just rather you buy a new one from them.

Happy to answer more questions if you'd like. As you can see, I've complete bought into RME's philosophy now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Etx1
Back