Is your Auto Ref Level enabled?
Yes. Its on.
Now I set this way...
20210608_142502_HDR.jpg

For now no distortion.

Regards,
Simon

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #4,249 of 5,998
I can also recommend playing with the DA filters, it's like getting a whole new DAC.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #4,250 of 5,998
Question: For those running the ADI-2 into a tube amp, at what output level are you setting the ADI-2? I have mine at -5 dBu, but wasn't sure if going to +1 or more was advisable. In simply using my ears, I think -5 works well, but was curious about what others use.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #4,251 of 5,998
Question: For those running the ADI-2 into a tube amp, at what output level are you setting the ADI-2? I have mine at -5 dBu, but wasn't sure if going to +1 or more was advisable. In simply using my ears, I think -5 works well, but was curious about what others use.
It is very much amp dependent. The safest option is to let the ADI-2 choose output level by leaving 'Auto Ref. Level' on. If you want to experiment you can manually choose a level up or down from the auto selection of the DAC, but to my experience this was pretty much pointless with no gain at all. I would say leave it to RME. They know their electrons pretty well. :)

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #4,252 of 5,998
It is very much amp dependent. The safest option is to let the ADI-2 choose output level by leaving 'Auto Ref. Level' on. If you want to experiment you can manually choose a level up or down from the auto selection of the DAC, but to my experience this was pretty much pointless with no gain at all. I would say leave it to RME. They know their electrons pretty well. :)
@skhan007 I found +7db worked best for my ears on the Mogwai SE

@betula So I am observing that for line out when I switch it to Auto Reference mode it doesn't actually change anything (via RCA out). So if I am at +1db then switch ARM on, it stays at +1db, same at +7db. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: I see that if I turn off Volume Lock that as I change the Line Out volume it adjusts the reference level voltage based on the volume.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #4,253 of 5,998
@skhan007 I found +7db worked best for my ears on the Mogwai SE

@betula So I am observing that for line out when I switch it to Auto Reference mode it doesn't actually change anything (via RCA out). So if I am at +1db then switch ARM on, it stays at +1db, same at +7db. Am I missing anything?

EDIT: I see that if I turn off Volume Lock that as I change the Line Out volume it adjusts the reference level voltage based on the volume.
I doubt you miss anything. IMO it is fine either way, the only thing might change is how much you can play with the volume knob on your amp.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #4,254 of 5,998
I just meant I didn't see what Auto Ref was doing, but added an EDIT where I can see that it does change the voltage based on where you set the RME's volume pot.

Not sure if this is just perception bias, but I find +13db to be more peaky and harsh compared to +7db at the relatively same loudness level. They are technically different output voltages so anything is possible. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@skhan007 What kind of tube amp are you using?

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #4,255 of 5,998
I just meant I didn't see what Auto Ref was doing, but added an EDIT where I can see that it does change the voltage based on where you set the RME's volume pot.

Not sure if this is just perception bias, but I find +13db to be more peaky and harsh compared to +7db at the relatively same loudness level. They are technically different output voltages so anything is possible. 🤷🏻‍♂️

@skhan007 What kind of tube amp are you using?
I'm using the Bottlehead Crack Speedball. Per the suggestions, I double-checked that my line out auto ref is indeed on. When around -25 on the volume it's at -5 dBu, but as I go towards -23 or so, it clicks to +1 dBu. I'm assuming this is the auto ref feature selecting the line out level as I adjust the ADI-2 volume?

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #4,256 of 5,998
I'm using the Bottlehead Crack Speedball. Per the suggestions, I double-checked that my line out auto ref is indeed on. When around -25 on the volume it's at -5 dBu, but as I go towards -23 or so, it clicks to +1 dBu. I'm assuming this is the auto ref feature selecting the line out level as I adjust the ADI-2 volume?
Indeed. The higher impedance headphones you have, the more volume you will need. ADI-2 increases the output level automatically for you.
I remember, with my Arya the ADI-2 switched automatically to higher gain as I increased volume.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #4,257 of 5,998
Indeed. The higher impedance headphones you have, the more volume you will need. ADI-2 increases the output level automatically for you.
I remember, with my Arya the ADI-2 switched automatically to higher gain as I increased volume.
Understood, thank you. Wouldn't the tube amp be doing most of the heavy lifting, however? For example, if my ADI-2 is at -25 volume/ -5dBu, I would turn up the volume on the tube amp to taste. I'm sure there is an optimal middle ground between the ADI-2 output and the level on my tube amp. Should I just be trusting my ears for this?

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4,258 of 5,998
Understood, thank you. Wouldn't the tube amp be doing most of the heavy lifting, however? For example, if my ADI-2 is at -25 volume/ -5dBu, I would turn up the volume on the tube amp to taste. I'm sure there is an optimal middle ground between the ADI-2 output and the level on my tube amp. Should I just be trusting my ears for this?
In my opinion, yes it is better to trust your ears on this and defer to the tube amp's volume pot.

If you have your headphones plugged into the BHC with no music playing, when you turn the BHC's volume pot you may find a spot on the dial with less gain noise heard through your headphones. Once you find that sweet spot on the BHC's volume pot, I would adjust the volume on the RME to match that point.

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #4,259 of 5,998
In my opinion, yes it is better to trust your ears on this and defer to the tube amp's volume pot.

If you have your headphones plugged into the BHC with no music playing, when you turn the BHC's volume pot you may find a spot on the dial with less gain noise heard through your headphones. Once you find that sweet spot on the BHC's volume pot, I would adjust the volume on the RME to match that point.
Excellent advice- thank you!

Jun 8, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #4,260 of 5,998
There is no better recipe under any circumstances than trusting your own ears. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back