RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #4,201 of 6,023
Well, you do have to download the USB driver and firmware and flash the firmware. But yeah, you can run it out of the box otherwise.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #4,202 of 6,023
Well, you do have to download the USB driver and firmware and flash the firmware. But yeah, you can run it out of the box otherwise.

Not necessarily as there haven't even been any major bugs on the older FW versions, although it's definitely nice that new features and bug fixes are still implemented regularly. Unlike something such as the PowerBeats Pro that seem to only work correctly with newer-generation electronic devices (they don't work properly with my Apple iPhone 4 or BlackBerry Classic), it's not as if the ADI-2 DAC required any computer or other modern device to work as it is supposed to be. In fact, I more or less only connect mine to my desktop computer when a new firmware version is released (although it's not really necessary to keep it up to date - the original firmware it came with would be already sufficient) in order to update it, but otherwise my beloved Pioneer PD-S 701CD player is the only source that is connected to it (through TOSLINK); I'm using my ADI-2 DAC solely with IEMs and full-sized headphones, with my PC speaker rig's pre volume controlled by a FiiO K3 (that has got several flaws on its own and is overall far from perfect, but ultimately more convenient in my use case, and ultimately convenience is what is more important in real-world use case listening scenarios), and am only using the supplied USB cable to ground it (otherwise there is audible mains hum with very sensitive IEMs as the electricity where I live is quite poor). The crossfeed feature is however very nice, and over time I have come to using it pretty much all of the time on my ADI-2 DAC (usually set to 1 or 2, depending on the headphones/IEMs used and how well the crossfeed setting works with the CD that I listen to).

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #4,203 of 6,023
Not necessarily as there haven't even been any major bugs on the older FW versions, although it's definitely nice that new features and bug fixes are still implemented regularly. Unlike something such as the PowerBeats Pro that seem to only work correctly with newer-generation electronic devices (they don't work properly with my Apple iPhone 4 or BlackBerry Classic), it's not as if the ADI-2 DAC required any computer or other modern device to work as it is supposed to be. In fact, I more or less only connect mine to my desktop computer when a new firmware version is released (although it's not really necessary to keep it up to date - the original firmware it came with would be already sufficient) in order to update it, but otherwise my beloved Pioneer PD-S 701CD player is the only source that is connected to it (through TOSLINK); I'm using my ADI-2 DAC solely with IEMs and full-sized headphones, with my PC speaker rig's pre volume controlled by a FiiO K3 (that has got several flaws on its own and is overall far from perfect, but ultimately more convenient in my use case, and ultimately convenience is what is more important in real-world use case listening scenarios), and am only using the supplied USB cable to ground it (otherwise there is audible mains hum with very sensitive IEMs as the electricity where I live is quite poor). The crossfeed feature is however very nice, and over time I have come to using it pretty much all of the time on my ADI-2 DAC (usually set to 1 or 2, depending on the headphones/IEMs used and how well the crossfeed setting works with the CD that I listen to).
As I remember it for Windows you do need to find the USB drivers and download them no matter what. You're right, if you can live with older firmware you can avoid the other two pieces, device firmware and firmware updater or whatever they call it. I got one of the first units when 2nd gen came out and there were a lot of firmware updates.

Most people are using it over USB though, not as you said.

Point of my post, yeah for new people who are not computer savvy I agree this one is a bit harder than normal. The UI makes it that much worse.

But when you get it in the zone- this DAC is the best value in all of audiodom. It's the best 1000 USD/EURO anybody will ever spend on audio.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #4,204 of 6,023
As I remember it for Windows you do need to find the USB drivers and download them no matter what.

I'm quite sure that this is not the case - at least I don't remember having downloaded anything but the firmware upgrade tool package every now and then when they release an update that is worth installing. As it is a prosumer device coming from a pro-audio manufacturer, it should have USB audio class downward compatibility and should therefore work without any additional drivers with Red Book standard material and generally up to 24 bit 96 kHz material (USB audio class 1).

Point of my post, yeah for new people who are not computer savvy I agree this one is a bit harder than normal. The UI makes it that much worse.

Perhaps true - but once one has figured out the basic navigation and operation, cycling through the menus and screens is, in my opinion, very easy and self-explanatory. But all of the nice features the ADI-2 DAC has implemented are just a very nice bonus on top, since one can use its basic functionality without ever digging into any of the menus.

Apr 25, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,205 of 6,023
I'm quite sure that this is not the case - at least I don't remember having downloaded anything but the firmware upgrade tool package every now and then when they release an update that is worth installing. As it is a prosumer device coming from a pro-audio manufacturer, it should have USB audio class downward compatibility and should therefore work without any additional drivers with Red Book standard material and generally up to 24 bit 96 kHz material (USB audio class 1).

Perhaps true - but once one has figured out the basic navigation and operation, cycling through the menus and screens is, in my opinion, very easy and self-explanatory. But all of the nice features the ADI-2 DAC has implemented are just a very nice bonus on top, since one can use its basic functionality without ever digging into any of the menus.
The PnP driver is a necessity to update the firmware, highly recommended to keep it updated anyway to guarantee the best compatibility with newer versions of Windows and the RME unit itself. Keeping the unit up-to-date is also very worthwhile, RME has been continuously improving how the DAC functions, even the performance and safety has gotten better over the years (for ALL ADI-2 units).

From what I've heard RME is planning to integrate the B/T function into the PEQ as well as general UI improvements, I hope they will add commands to the remote someday so that we not have to use the encoders anymore to browse through the UI.

Apr 25, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #4,206 of 6,023
You are right about that last part. But that is not enough if you want bit perfect over ASIO which I think is something that people are right to expect at that price point. To get ASIO you have to deal with their drivers.

You can mostly live with the defaults but there are a few things that probably need changing for most people. Whether that's complicated or easy or something in between really depends on the person no matter how easy you may have found it. Most of the DACs and other devices people buy don't have anywhere near the complexity. There is a tradeoff, as always. The RME can do more than most DACs. But it requires more fiddling.

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #4,208 of 6,023
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=33007

anyone here can answer my question here? what do you think? the streamer is Pioneer n-30ae
Cinch? No. That's analog. The RME doesn't have any analog input... the Pro version does but it gets converted to digital.

If you want to run a device into the RME that doesn't support USB you have options of S/PDIF coax or optical. Maybe your Pioneer has one or both of those options. You can easily get cables at alza...pm me if you need help :)

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,209 of 6,023
Cinch? No. That's analog. The RME doesn't have any analog input... the Pro version does but it gets converted to digital.

If you want to run a device into the RME that doesn't support USB you have options of S/PDIF coax or optical. Maybe your Pioneer has one or both of those options. You can easily get cables at alza...pm me if you need help :)
Ah yea my bad so those on back of rme adi 2 dac FS are OUTPUTS... yea? now I get it thanks

Apr 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #4,210 of 6,023
Sadly, no digital out on that Pioneer box. You have to use the internal DAC.

Apr 25, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #4,212 of 6,023
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

With this equipment, PC > RME is going to sound better than the streamer. The streamer will be more convenient, probably.

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:52 AM Post #4,213 of 6,023
Ok so after completing my audio chain with some good XLR cables (Van den Hul 3T The Mountain) and power cables I could compare the RME ADI-2 amp out versus the Topping A90 with my HD650s.

I have to admit from what I'm hearing now that I was wrong before saying that the ADI 2 amp is bad with my 650s. The problem with the midrange was because of the AKMs 'Velvet Sound', where the midrange takes a dip and sounds smoother, because I prefer the ESS sound signature, I fixed that with some EQ, raised 2,3,4,5k by 2db.

Now why do I prefer the ADI-2 amp vs. the A90? The differences are very small, ADI-2 has more air and space, and somehow sounds cleaner then the A90. The A90 has more bass, slam but sounds more closed in. If you want more slam with the ADI-2 you can boost up the bass or other frequencies. Its that simple.

The 3T XLR cable costs more then the RME (its worth every penny imho), with a good power cable and the A90 I could've bought 2 more RMEs. My mistake was not spending more time fiddling with the EQ, filters and other settings until I found the sound I enjoy.

So please, if you don't like something about the ADI-2, remember how many settings it has, and you can make it sound as you like with no extra cost. It really is an incredible DAC/AMP.
Oh thank you.
After finding your post I know that i am not stupid.....elsewhere audioscene-people are laughing about this opinion about ADI vs A90. I heard exactly the same! Now I believe in AMP-sound and searching for something what can top the internal ADI-Amp. (ifi pro iCan?)

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #4,214 of 6,023
Oh thank you.
After finding your post I know that i am not stupid.....elsewhere audioscene-people are laughing about this opinion about ADI vs A90. I heard exactly the same! Now I believe in AMP-sound and searching for something what can top the internal ADI-Amp. (ifi pro iCan?)
ADI-2 already has a good amp which can satisfy many people. But if you are ready to invest in a dedicated amp you will hear improvements.
I wasn't too happy with the THX-789 but the Soloist 3XP or the Pro iCan both improve clarity and dynamics quite a bit. Better separation, air, refinement, definition. Most obviously in bass. To my experience the better headphones you plug in, the more improvement you hear. (I tried LCD-X, Arya, Empyrean with these combos.)

For twice the money (ADI2+good amp vs. ADI-2) don't expect 'twice as good sound', but improvements in the areas above. As I said, the ADI-2 has a decent amp. Currawong said in one of his reviews that he thinks the ADI-2's built in amp performs on a Magni 3 level. IMO it is a little bit better than a Magni 3, but just a little bit. Higher quality amps to my experience will bring the improvements I have described.

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:40 AM Post #4,215 of 6,023
I've had the RME figured out in less than 3 hours. Never opened the manual. It took me a while to learn how to navigate the menus but now I have a map in my head and know exactly where each setting is. This is by far the best piece of audio gear I have bought. I'm very happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back