RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Mar 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #4,156 of 6,004
I use it as an all in one. I can't imagine there would be a sound difference. I have yet to run a headphone that even requires high power output. Sorry can't help you on that one.
I'm planning on feeding it to my audio gd m9. Would love to have some feedback on its crossfeed setting as it gives listeners a speaker like experience

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #4,158 of 6,004
I have the adi2 pro (Be edition) .Can someone please help me with confirming if using the device balanced headphone out should always sound mono? My settings: mono-to the left, width-1.0, balance-0, balanced headphone-on
Firstly, this is again, the wrong thread. Secondly do you use an adapter, because you cannot get a balanced connection with a single 6.3mm jack.

Mar 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #4,160 of 6,004
I'm planning on feeding it to my audio gd m9. Would love to have some feedback on its crossfeed setting as it gives listeners a speaker like experience
Well I suppose it can do, if you have your head strapped solidly into position where it can't move. In my experience, however, crossfade almost works, until you move your head and then the whole sound collapses into one big fat phasey mess.

One of the big things about good stereo speakers is that you can move your head and the sound remains where you expect it to be - you can "look" at the sound/instrument that interests you an it will become centre in your audio "vision". You simply can't do that with standard crossfade implementations.

To get a good headphone effect then you not only need crossfade but also a sound that also pans with your head movements.

Sony absolutely nailed this with the Playstation VR audio implementation, but given the additional tech needed to capture head tracking I'm not really surprised that it hasn't made its way into mainstream headphone listening.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4,161 of 6,004
Hi, can anyone record video or tell me exactly how to set low shelf to 100hz? Whats the default value? Its the 100hz? Thanks!

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #4,162 of 6,004
Hi, can anyone record video or tell me exactly how to set low shelf to 100hz? Whats the default value? Its the 100hz? Thanks!

Press "EQ" to access the EQ screen, use the big central encoder to adjust the gain, then press the "2" encoder and adjust the Q value by rotating just that encoder. Then press "EQ" again to access the EQ quick menu and activate the EQ by rotating "2" clockwise. By the way, yes, 100 Hz (and low shelf) is already the default value for the first of the five EQ bands (the type of filter can be adjusted by pressing "2" again - one can generally see which values can be currently change by their colour as those are white whereas the others remain grey on the EQ screen).

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #4,163 of 6,004
Latest firmware version 249/98 for the Pro and 35/34 for the DAC below:
https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=167427#p167427

MC:
"if one measures jitter attenuation over frequency the attenuation will be quite high at higher frequencies, and quite low at lower ones. The simple reason is that one needs to follow the incoming clock, and if that one varies slowly or a bit quicker (intentional detuning, varipitch) you don't want to loose sync. But that would usually happen when the jitter filter does not let through such slow changes.

In version 249 and 35 we finished what we had begun in version 238 and 34. In those versions the jitter attenuation was 4 x times higher than before, but a bit unstable in the low frequency area (which caused these low level nearby sidebands reported above). This is now resolved. The new SteadyClock works flawlessly with no difference to before, but jitter attenuation now has a corner frequency no longer around 200 Hz, but at around 1 Hz. That means more than 50 dB jitter reduction also at 50 Hz and similar real-world jitter frequencies. Absolutely top-notch for any kind of incoming clock signal.

Later on I will show the difference in behaviour with measurements on my APx555B."

They've released yet another follow-up firmware update "ADI-2 Pro 250 / 102 and DAC 35 / 35" https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?pid=167872#p167872

Furthermore the firmware updates add these features/changes:

Sample Rate Converter (SRC) improvements (all Pro models)
The ISP (Intersample Peak) headroom for the SRC has been reduced from 6 dB to 3 dB. This improves low level accuracy and SNR, and improves low level THD. 6 dB was not necessary (plus the Pro FS R BE already has 2.5 dB digital headroom).

So far this SRC ISP headroom was available for the analog outputs by turning down the output volume below 0 dB (level meters would clearly show Overs, so dialing volume back in such a case is intuitive and logical. ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and ADI-2 DAC V2 have 2.5 dB additional DAC headroom, so are mostly not affected even at a 0 dB volume setting).

But what about the digital paths, USB Record of the SPDIF/AES input signal and the SPDIF/AES pass-through in Basic Mode Dig Thru? Here the SRC signal clips at the maximum digital signal level, so the additional headroom during SRC conversion is lost again. The new option SRC Gain dig in SETUP / SPDIF / Remap Keys maintains the SRC ISP headroom also for these digital paths (SPDIF/AES In – SRC – USB Record and SPDIF/AES In – SRC – SPDIF/AES Out). Setting this option to -3 dB both digital paths will show -3 dBFS for a full scale sine. And undistorted 0 dBFS if one plays a +3 dBFS test tone through the SRC.

Level meter improvements (ADI-2 Pro FS R BE and ADI-2 DAC V2)
The level meter of Analog Out 1/2 XLR and TRS rear, as well as the IEM out of the ADI-2 DAC V2, now shows OVR at output levels higher than +2.5 dBFS (before at 0 dBFS). This equals the real overload situation, as these outputs have a digital headroom of +2.5 dB (as mentioned in the manual VOLUME can be upped to +2.5 dB without clipping).
The level meter of Phones Out 1/2 and 3/4 now show OVR at output levels higher than +1 dBFS (before at 0 dBFS). This equals the real overload situation, as these are limited by the analog hardware stages to such a headroom.

Setup Load improvement (all ADI-2 DAC)
Loading a setup does not affect the current sample rate anymore. This feature made sense in the Pro, but not in the DAC, and has therefore been removed.

That’s it. We hope the next big firmware update won’t take too long anymore.

Firmware downloads

Win:

https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_win.zip

Mac:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/fut_madiface_mac.zip

Windows: If you need to install the driver for the flash process and uninstall it again:
https://www.forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopi … 81#p135881

Apr 3, 2021 at 1:31 PM Post #4,164 of 6,004
After more than a week of burning in my 1m Oyaide Neo Class A d+ cable, I decided to A/B test it vs RME stock USB cable. It's one of the easier comparisons I've done since the Oyaide clearly improves the sound. A bit shocked myself since I was in that "it's just digital transportation, USB cable shouldnt matter" camp until just earlier. I do have the iFi Power Elite adapter upgrade which significantly improved the RME. I don't know how noticeable a USB upgrade would be without it (too lazy to unpack and set up old adapter).

Apr 4, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #4,165 of 6,004
After more than a week of burning in my 1m Oyaide Neo Class A d+ cable, I decided to A/B test it vs RME stock USB cable. It's one of the easier comparisons I've done since the Oyaide clearly improves the sound. A bit shocked myself since I was in that "it's just digital transportation, USB cable shouldnt matter" camp until just earlier. I do have the iFi Power Elite adapter upgrade which significantly improved the RME. I don't know how noticeable a USB upgrade would be without it (too lazy to unpack and set up old adapter).
Please send me links -where-to-buy- to everything you have that improved the RME. Thanks! I also want some improvements 😀

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #4,167 of 6,004
Im still confused about the "clock thing".
If I just plug it into Windows (and install drivers) its automaticaly set to Windows slave and RME Master?
ed: usb

Apr 4, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #4,168 of 6,004
Nobody needs anything to make the RME sound better. Why waste your money?

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #4,169 of 6,004
Nobody needs anything to make the RME sound better. Why waste your money?
Oh man - it amazes me the amount of people that will buy a cheap budget DAC and then spend god knows how much on cables trying to improve it - and honestly budget DACs are pretty damned good out of the box these days. If it wasn't for the fact that I needed certain aspects of the ADI-2's functionality then I'd still be with a $200 USB audio interface. Yes the ADI-2 is better in terms of sound quality, but it's nowhere near as much as people might like to think it is. To be perfectly honest a solid modern DAC is the second least likely component to influence sound quality.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #4,170 of 6,004
In almost 300 pages I think I found 2 or 3 people claiming they had improvements from running off DC instead of the wall wart or some other tweak. Oh there was that horrible Franken-RME that somebody did by soldering in some large caps to the point the case no longer fit- I am still trying to block that picture out of my mind :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back