RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jul 25, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #347 of 5,991
My preferred settings for
- Focal Utopia headphones only (One of two custom presets)
- For jazz and classical only
- For electronica, or 80's rock, house, rap, R&B, it's basically flipped
(With utopia for this type of music, I prefer a little help with bass sometimes, and a dip for treble above 5K)

How can you not love this fine-tuned control

DSC01081.jpg

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #349 of 5,991
Hey, just purchased this unit but I have not received it yet.
Would you guys recommend an amp or is integrated enough? If so, any suggestions?
I have the following HP:
HD800S
E-MU Teak
HD6xx
Oppo PM-3

Thanks

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #351 of 5,991
The ADI-2's Extreme Power stage don't lack anything. Comments like this make me think that you did not find the High Power setting in the menu of output 3/4, or dialed down Bass on 3/4 without noticing it. The HD800 is a high impedance phone and technically very easy to drive. You don't need much power but high voltage, and the ADI has plenty of that (10V unbalanced, 20V balanced).

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #353 of 5,991
The original HD800 also lacks punch and with the massive 6k peak will seem to lack low end to plenty of people. :darthsmile:

Personally I find the integrated amp just as good as other solid state amps I've tried. That includes the Pro iCan, IHA-6, and Jot for recent ones. That said, it's up to James whether he finds the integrated amp sufficient or not. A nice tube amp can certainly provide a different flavor that may or may not be more pleasing.

Jul 27, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #355 of 5,991
I've got the combo adi-2 dac => h800, a dedicated amp made a big difference, adi2 amp lacks punch and low end

Not with Campfire Audio Cascades... rediculous low end and punch, much better than the Cascades from a Gustard X20U DAC / modded H10 amp combo. Yes for my modded TH-X00PH though - the low end and punch is noticeably better with the Gustard setup.

I will say adding an external amp to the RME ADI-2 DAC is an improvement though.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #356 of 5,991
Exactly I guess it's all about synergy between equipments.
One big thing that was missing as well with the adi2 dac on my HD800 was the rumble that I get with the mjolnir and make it so good to listen to.

Now for iem I could not tell I didn't try but I guess amp pairing is less critical with iem than with headphones.

Jul 27, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #357 of 5,991
The ADI-2 DAC works great with my Shure SE535. No complaints. I don't find it lacking with any of my headphones. I would say that my ADX5000 would probably pair better for a lot of people with a nice tube amp as the treble can be a bit sharp on that particular headphone. It's in the same boat as the HD800 in that regard except that the ADX5000 is by no means bass light.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #360 of 5,991
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
I was wondering if anyone is streaming straight from an Ipad to the RME?
I currently use my Laptop and I would like to use my IPad instead. I just don't know how to plug a lightning to USB-A...

Any suggestions?

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back