RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Sep 11, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #3,211 of 6,034
Can i connect my samsung note 10 plus to the rme?

Not sure about the 10 plus but my Note 20 Ultra works perfectly, so it is safe to say yours should work just fine. Just use an OTG adapter with a regular A to B USB cable and UAPP app. Here's my M11 Pro playing DSD256 files on RME, no sweat. Phone working just the same but had to use it to take the photos :D

Attachments

• 20200911_201457.jpg
    20200911_201457.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200911_201446.jpg
    20200911_201446.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 11, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,212 of 6,034
Not sure about the 10 plus but my Note 20 Ultra works perfectly, so it is safe to say yours should work just fine. Just use an OTG adapter with a regular A to B USB cable and UAPP app. Here's my M11 Pro playing DSD256 files on RME, no sweat. Phone working just the same but had to use it to take the photos :D

Tnx for the help 😊 Are going to search for that cable 😊 I have the UAPP app.

Sep 11, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #3,213 of 6,034
Hi, first post on this forum after a few years...been out of the game for some time :) I got a demo unit of the RME a couple of days ago and I’m using it in simple desk setup with a MacBook and a Hifiman Ananda, straight out of the IEM output.
I have no plan to go back to the audiophile madness I was into in the past, and this seems a good sounding setup.

I realise the RME is probably an overkill for these headphones, so I’m not 100% sure I’m going to keep it. We’ll see by the end of the next week.

So far I only used a small set of its features, crossfeed level 2 and loudness.

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #3,215 of 6,034
Is anyone using their RME with HifiMan Arya headphones? Do you find it has enough power to drive them properly?
Absolutely beautiful pairing. I use them everyday with the RME. Plenty of head room

Sep 11, 2020 at 6:17 PM Post #3,216 of 6,034
Hi, first post on this forum after a few years...been out of the game for some time :) I got a demo unit of the RME a couple of days ago and I’m using it in simple desk setup with a MacBook and a Hifiman Ananda, straight out of the IEM output.
I have no plan to go back to the audiophile madness I was into in the past, and this seems a good sounding setup.

I realise the RME is probably an overkill for these headphones, so I’m not 100% sure I’m going to keep it. We’ll see by the end of the next week.

So far I only used a small set of its features, crossfeed level 2 and loudness.

Nice thing about the RME ADI-2 DAC is it makes an excellent stereo system preamp in a tiny package... so it makes for a great all in headphone/stereo system setup - just need the amp for the speakers (unless running monitors). My RME ADI-2 is my multimedia hub for my laptop (USB), Xbox One (optical), and Blu-ray/multimedia player (digital coax).

Sep 11, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #3,217 of 6,034
Nice thing about the RME ADI-2 DAC is it makes an excellent stereo system preamp in a tiny package... so it makes for a great all in headphone/stereo system setup - just need the amp for the speakers (unless running monitors). My RME ADI-2 is my multimedia hub for my laptop (USB), Xbox One (optical), and Blu-ray/multimedia player (digital coax).
I like this idea. I'm still trying to work out how best to incorporate one of these into my setups.

I'm wondering if this would work connected to a Shield TV Pro? If I connected via USB and used as a DAC for Tidal, I could then run the ADI-2 into my Musical Fidelity M3i integrated for stereo listening and then as my headphone amp.

Anyone tried this?

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3,218 of 6,034
Does anyone use their WM1A (or 1Z) as a source? Would USB out from the BCR-NWH10 cradle be the best way?
Has anyone chosen this over the TA-ZH1ES? I recently got the MDR-Z1R and now want more than my WM1A can offer, the TA-ZH1ES would be ideal because the threads I follow mostly seem to have taken that path but it is a lot of money and hassle to try and get even a secondhand one to me from overseas and I can maybe luck it and get a secondhand RME for almost half the price.
Any opinions welcome please?

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:20 AM Post #3,219 of 6,034
I also own the MDR-Z1R and had the same dilemma. However, after listening to both, the RME at half price is an absolute no brainer. Sound quality and options wise the RME wins all the way as it drives the MDR with ease and the sound is, well, amazing. I could always buy a nice headphones amp and still save some money. RME's DAC is better than Sony's and Tazzie's amp section is not exactly a powerhouse, either. The only reason to buy Sony's DAC amp is to keep it all Sony, if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #3,220 of 6,034
Just received my unit yesterday. I have it hooked up to a Violectric V281, listening primarily through HD800 and LCD-3, fully balanced all the way.

Damn. So good, and I haven't even started playing with any EQ settings yet. Straight out of the box it sounds so good, clean as a whistle, detailed, dynamic, free from any harshness. Most importantly, I find the sound involving. That's always the intangible question. As I listened to some favourite tracks last night, I just got lost in the music and its presentation. So happy with this purchase.

And it will get even better over time. Mine started to sound much much better after 100 hours. And I believe in burn in, not brain burn in. I've had gear that sounded bad at first, sounded bad after 100 hours, no matter how much I listen to it. And its not about the price either, I've had more expensive gear that also sounded bad, or cheap gear that sounds excellent, like my 40 Euro Asus sound card.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:15 AM Post #3,221 of 6,034
I'm wondering if this would work connected to a Shield TV Pro? If I connected via USB and used as a DAC for Tidal, I could then run the ADI-2 into my Musical Fidelity M3i integrated for stereo listening and then as my headphone amp.

Anyone tried this?
I don't own the Shield TV but it's spec says it outputs audio over USB. You would just need to configure it to only output Linear PCM Stereo as the RME won't accept any surround sound formats.

Sep 12, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #3,222 of 6,034
I have an RME ADI-2 DAC and am pleased with it.

Quite a few people seem to prefer the RME to the Chord Qutest and Hugo2 for sound quality. Has anyone compared the RME with a Chord Hugo TT2? I know the Hugo TT2 is a lot more expensive, but I was wondering about upgrading the RME at some point when I can afford to.

Well since I had Mojo, Hugo2, DAVE, Qutest and TT2 for like 1 week and returned it I'd like to share my reasons why I don't own any Chord gear now and never will again.

First off, I'm a headphone guy and always will be. Started with my HD650 and Oppo HA2-SE years ago, my first hi-fi gear comparing with my old Sony headphones plugged directly into the PC. I was amazed on how better the sound was, so then I started to think, well how much better can it get? While searching for a upgrade, here on this forum a member posted some samples with different dac/amps, and there I first heard the Mojo, and for me it sounded so much better then the other samples.

So I wrote pages with how and why I sold my gear, when I bought each one and why etc. But I feel its not relevant, so I will try to be short.

If you want a real desktop solution for headphones the cheapest one is the TT2. And with that you will have to spend some more on the M-Scaler. And the DAVE is much much better then the TT2, the reason why I returned it. So the spending cycle never ends. I don't like companies that take away features from their customers. Qutest was a huge missed opportunity, a DAC/AMP for desktop without batteries entry level. If that existed today I would have never owned the RME ADI-2. But I'm happy it doesn't because I learned that Chord isn't the only company that knows how to do incredible sounding products. There are others out there like RME. That instead of taking features away and forcing customers to buy those features they want at a premium, they offer so many of them that you could spend weeks and never quite figure them out. At no extra cost.

How is the sound then? Well this is personal preference and it depends on what we want in music. Chord has an incredible ability to pull you into the music. Like you feel that you are there with the artist. And at first I liked that very much, but with time it became exhausting. When I listen to music I like to do other things, study, work etc, but with Chord that is very hard to do, you can only focus on the music and not much else.

Also with Chord you have to chose what you listen to, as some tracks are so harsh sounding in the treble area that are actually painful for you ears. I remember a song, Murder On The Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis- Baxtor, when they start clapping their hands with Chord it became painful to listen to, but with RME it sounds like hand clapping and nothing more, no harshness at all. Some say the tracks are at fault here, but since when I own the ADI2 never found a track that was harsh.

If thats true then Chord has to have more details that the RME is missing, well not true, not that I could figure out. I'd say the biggest difference is the presentation here. Chord is forceful and attention grabbing while the RME is just there and you forget about it and enjoy the music. I can't really say anything about how RME sounds as nothing stands out, its not harsh, its not muddy, it has all the details you need. And most important its musical, makes you tap your feet.

This is my personal take on Chord and RME, and I have nothing with people that enjoy Chord products, I know I did for years, but now I really like the RME ADI-2 and don't feel the need to upgrade my DAC for some time, maybe if RME releases a new product with a more powerful amp for my HD820 and 650 wink wink.

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #3,223 of 6,034
I also own the MDR-Z1R and had the same dilemma. However, after listening to both, the RME at half price is an absolute no brainer. Sound quality and options wise the RME wins all the way as it drives the MDR with ease and the sound is, well, amazing. I could always buy a nice headphones amp and still save some money. RME's DAC is better than Sony's and Tazzie's amp section is not exactly a powerhouse, either. The only reason to buy Sony's DAC amp is to keep it all Sony, if that's your thing.
Thanks for your reply.
I had asked about amp recommendations for my MDR-Z1R and didn't get much back, so with most users talking about the TA pairing I felt that was my safest choice. Synergy is something you almost want to guarantee when you make a blind purchase, also previously I had been using lower tie/priced portable amp/dacs so this is pushing my financial boundaries a bit.

Sep 12, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #3,224 of 6,034
Thanks for your reply.
I had asked about amp recommendations for my MDR-Z1R and didn't get much back, so with most users talking about the TA pairing I felt that was my safest choice. Synergy is something you almost want to guarantee when you make a blind purchase, also previously I had been using lower tie/priced portable amp/dacs so this is pushing my financial boundaries a bit.

MDR-Z1R is not at all hard to drive. Have used it a lot with Fiio M11 Pro and love that pairing. RME retrieves even more detail and sounds a bit more dynamic than the DAP of course. You will not go wrong, especially if you grab a second hand unit for a great price. The previous version is even better value, sounds the same and the only apparent disadvantage is less buttons on the remote. Let me tell you, I have the current one and did not touch the remote in months, so there.

Sep 12, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #3,225 of 6,034
Well since I had Mojo, Hugo2, DAVE, Qutest and TT2 for like 1 week and returned it I'd like to share my reasons why I don't own any Chord gear now and never will again.

First off, I'm a headphone guy and always will be. Started with my HD650 and Oppo HA2-SE years ago, my first hi-fi gear comparing with my old Sony headphones plugged directly into the PC. I was amazed on how better the sound was, so then I started to think, well how much better can it get? While searching for a upgrade, here on this forum a member posted some samples with different dac/amps, and there I first heard the Mojo, and for me it sounded so much better then the other samples.

So I wrote pages with how and why I sold my gear, when I bought each one and why etc. But I feel its not relevant, so I will try to be short.

If you want a real desktop solution for headphones the cheapest one is the TT2. And with that you will have to spend some more on the M-Scaler. And the DAVE is much much better then the TT2, the reason why I returned it. So the spending cycle never ends. I don't like companies that take away features from their customers. Qutest was a huge missed opportunity, a DAC/AMP for desktop without batteries entry level. If that existed today I would have never owned the RME ADI-2. But I'm happy it doesn't because I learned that Chord isn't the only company that knows how to do incredible sounding products. There are others out there like RME. That instead of taking features away and forcing customers to buy those features they want at a premium, they offer so many of them that you could spend weeks and never quite figure them out. At no extra cost.

How is the sound then? Well this is personal preference and it depends on what we want in music. Chord has an incredible ability to pull you into the music. Like you feel that you are there with the artist. And at first I liked that very much, but with time it became exhausting. When I listen to music I like to do other things, study, work etc, but with Chord that is very hard to do, you can only focus on the music and not much else.

Also with Chord you have to chose what you listen to, as some tracks are so harsh sounding in the treble area that are actually painful for you ears. I remember a song, Murder On The Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis- Baxtor, when they start clapping their hands with Chord it became painful to listen to, but with RME it sounds like hand clapping and nothing more, no harshness at all. Some say the tracks are at fault here, but since when I own the ADI2 never found a track that was harsh.

If thats true then Chord has to have more details that the RME is missing, well not true, not that I could figure out. I'd say the biggest difference is the presentation here. Chord is forceful and attention grabbing while the RME is just there and you forget about it and enjoy the music. I can't really say anything about how RME sounds as nothing stands out, its not harsh, its not muddy, it has all the details you need. And most important its musical, makes you tap your feet.

This is my personal take on Chord and RME, and I have nothing with people that enjoy Chord products, I know I did for years, but now I really like the RME ADI-2 and don't feel the need to upgrade my DAC for some time, maybe if RME releases a new product with a more powerful amp for my HD820 and 650 wink wink.
This is precisely why I now own a Hugo 2 and also why I am keeping the ADI-2 DAC. Both have their uses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back