RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
Jun 4, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,641 of 6,005
Alrighty! I have finalized my decision and will be getting the RME ADI-2 DAC FS! I was considering Topping D90/A90 combo but I like that ADI-2 has a good amp built in plus that EQ. I will order it in a few hours. Just figuring out this RME + speaker bundle. The included cables do not make sense.

edit: Checked an unboxing video of the included speakers and it comes with RCA cable! Ordered!

I'm not saying the speakers are bad for the money but that is one arse about elbow package - combining a $1000 DAC/AI with $99 speakers (for the pair I might add so $50 each) just doesn't seem right.

I've got my RME paired with these and they don't do the RME justice.

But hey, if you just need speakers on your desktop for the odd use then fine.

Jun 4, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #2,642 of 6,005
I'm not saying the speakers are bad for the money but that is one arse about elbow package - combining a $1000 DAC/AI with $99 speakers (for the pair I might add so $50 each) just doesn't seem right.

I've got my RME paired with these and they don't do the RME justice.

But hey, if you just need speakers on your desktop for the odd use then fine.
Is it a bad idea to pair those two? I was told to spend about 5:1 ratio on dac/amp and speakers/headphones. I figured doubling that would even be better so I went with $1000 RME with $100 speakers.

(sarcasm) Don't worry :dt880smile: it will be paired with Meze Empyrean and Beyerdyamic Xelento.

That would be hilarious if I did buy a $1000+ dac/amp for a ~$100 speakers. It is the same price everywhere else but this one comes with freebie. I had my LS50 setup with my desktop computer a while back but that's no longer the case since I moved them to the living room. I will use the freebie for gaming when I dont want to wear anything.

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #2,643 of 6,005
Is it a bad idea to pair those two? I was told to spend about 5:1 ratio on dac/amp and speakers/headphones. I figured doubling that would even be better so I went with $1000 RME with $100 speakers.

(sarcasm) Don't worry :dt880smile: it will be paired with Meze Empyrean and Beyerdyamic Xelento.

That would be hilarious if I did buy a $1000+ dac/amp for a ~$100 speakers. It is the same price everywhere else but this one comes with freebie. I had my LS50 setup with my desktop computer a while back but that's no longer the case since I moved them to the living room. I will use the freebie for gaming when I dont want to wear anything.
I've heard (and believe) the opposite, spend way more on speakers /headphones than DAC/Amp.

Edit: oof missed the spoiler 😅

Jun 5, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #2,644 of 6,005
Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,646 of 6,005
I found this Forum about the ADI. Very interesting and als RME Write direct.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...version-2-dac-and-headphone-amp-review.13379/
I read some of the posts but not the whole thread. It seems the ADI2 FS is highly regarded in hardcore audio geek circles as well. It is great to see this DAC proves to be successful in different camps. I don't care much about measurements, I am a simple audio enthusiast who follows his ears and takes all the reviews and posts with more than a grain of salt. Have to say though, this ADI2 DAC is truly exceptional for the price. Clean, clear, dynamic. Drives most headphones without an external amp to (more than) decent degrees. I heard much more expensive combos that can't compete with ADI2 alone.

Jun 5, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,647 of 6,005

LOL, my comment was less about you picking up a freebie, but more about why the hell would a so called pro audio business package a top performing dac with monitors that would highly likely be a landfill candidate for somebody prepared to spend $1000 on a DAC.

But I do totally get your usage case :)

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #2,648 of 6,005
LOL, my comment was less about you picking up a freebie, but more about why the hell would a so called pro audio business package a top performing dac with monitors that would highly likely be a landfill candidate for somebody prepared to spend $1000 on a DAC.

But I do totally get your usage case :)

I checked and it looks like theyre just bundling it with a lot of their items. Inventory clean up I suppose. A bit disappointed I didn't see it bundled with a Chord TT2 :frowning2: But I'm sure they would if they carried Chord!

Jun 7, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2,654 of 6,005
Are there multiple revisions of this DAC with the same name? Are they differentiated in any meaningful way?

There are two revs. One uses 4490 with a basic remote, the 2nd gen uses 4493 with a better remote. The 2nd gen has one additional color choice on the meter. Both are great DACs, no significant upgrade on 2nd other than the remote, which is theoretically available to purchase separately anyway. This is pro audio, thankfully not mid-fi feature wars.

Jun 7, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #2,655 of 6,005
There are two revs. One uses 4490 with a basic remote, the 2nd gen uses 4493 with a better remote. The 2nd gen has one additional color choice on the meter. Both are great DACs, no significant upgrade on 2nd other than the remote, which is theoretically available to purchase separately anyway. This is pro audio, thankfully not mid-fi feature wars.

The Amber color is also available on Gen 1. It was a software update.

I would also add that RME itself said that there is no audible difference in the performance of the two DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back