RME ADI-2 DAC Thread
May 31, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,521 of 6,005
Haha. I see where you are coming from, but I think that's not the case here. The THX amp to me just thickened up the sound basically on the expense of details, clarity, refinement, and dynamism. Made everything somewhat softer and warmer (which might be someone's preference) but on the expense of clarity and tightness.

I agree that it is a touch softer, but I think the resolution is the same, just different presentations.
Look at the amps in his sig and look what he sold. :D

I'm running my LCD-3 off a Brooklyn DAC+ into a V280 balanced :wink:
Was thinking about the V280 and that would be an improvement over the THX.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #2,522 of 6,005
Instead of selling an RME, buying a 5K plus DAC etc etc .......DO THIS
20200531_125037.jpg

This DAC sounds phenomenal, up there with anything at the 5K price point
Cost of capacitors 90 dollars.
Of course you can grab a $5K DAC and upgrade it too, but this is by far the best bang for your buck in all of audio as far as I am concerned.
Sound Quality is simply jaw dropping. Perfect mix of endless resolution, musicality, and layered 3D Soundstage.
I was looking to purchase a DMP-Z1 or a PS Audio DAC, but not after this mod.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #2,523 of 6,005
My viewpoint on the RME is unless something blows it away as far as sound quality, it can justify it’s existence because it‘s functionality just blows everything else away especially at that price point and it would just be difficult for me to replace it.
I ultimately came to the same conclusion. I've had the Hugo2 for 4 years and when I had to send it for repair back in December i picked up the RME. Long story short I heard some slight differences between the two upon comparison but, I had to be A/B'ing them to tell and im not even sure I can put a finger on what those differences are exactly. Unless you need portability IMO the Hugo2 isn't worth double the price of the RME. Don't get me wrong I love my Hugo2 but the RME is amazing, even more so now that I've begun playing with the EQ.

May 31, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #2,524 of 6,005
Is the XLR on the Monoprice THX amp balanced? The THX amp drop is selling is not.

It looks from the specs thaht the Empyreans should be easy to drive. Probably better to run right off the RME unless it doesn't have enough power for some reason.

Just read that the Monoprice THX 887 is pretty much like the Drop 789 that both are not fully balanced. Huh now I'm thinking I might just go with plain ADI-2 and not bother with another amp.

May 31, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #2,525 of 6,005
Just read that the Monoprice THX 887 is pretty much like the Drop 789 that both are not fully balanced. Huh now I'm thinking I might just go with plain ADI-2 and not bother with another amp.
You should definitely start there.

May 31, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #2,526 of 6,005
Does anyone have experience with the rme and dt 1990 is it a good match ?

May 31, 2020 at 5:03 PM Post #2,527 of 6,005
I think it's quite a stretch to include Schiit in a discussion with Chord and RME. One of the three products definitely lives up to its name :wink:

Maybe 😂. And the RME has great reviews and a ton of features and is really in a different class in that regard.

But, I also have a lot of respect for torq who likes and owns products from all 3 - his favorite is chord Dave with m-scaler - but that's a little rarefied for me!

May 31, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #2,530 of 6,005
Maybe 😂. And the RME has great reviews and a ton of features and is really in a different class in that regard.

But, I also have a lot of respect for torq who likes and owns products from all 3 - his favorite is chord Dave with m-scaler - but that's a little rarefied for me!

Ah yeah, I didn't mean to slight Chord. I should clarify I have a Mojo and am a fan of the Chord house sound. I think they're amazing devices but perhaps a little bit too far out there. Still, I'm glad to see a real UK audio company still in the competition.

I've got a couple of Schiit amps (Valhalla 2, Lyr 2) I bought display units at huge discounts, long story. A bit disappointed at some of the mass marketing things like tube sockets on PCB. Not really well made. And the few contacts I've had with the company have insured I'll not buy anything further from them.

For Line-Out, how many of you keep Auto-Ref on?

Not for me.

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #2,531 of 6,005
You should definitely start there.

Agreed. See how it drives your choice of cans. You can always get a second job and buy more amp later.

Does anyone have experience with the rme and dt 1990 is it a good match ?

No, but based on my dissatisfaction with how the RME deals with 300 ohm Sennheisers which are around the same sensitivity and with a bit higher impedance I'm thinking they will sound very good but not as good as they are capable of. However, that will probably be offset by the huge benefit of parametric EQ with Beyers since they are not the flattest headphones on earth...

May 31, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #2,532 of 6,005
Instead of selling an RME, buying a 5K plus DAC etc etc .......DO THIS
20200531_125037.jpg

This DAC sounds phenomenal, up there with anything at the 5K price point
Cost of capacitors 90 dollars.
Of course you can grab a $5K DAC and upgrade it too, but this is by far the best bang for your buck in all of audio as far as I am concerned.
Sound Quality is simply jaw dropping. Perfect mix of endless resolution, musicality, and layered 3D Soundstage.
I was looking to purchase a DMP-Z1 or a PS Audio DAC, but not after this mod.
Dear lord man.

May 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,534 of 6,005
May 31, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #2,535 of 6,005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back