Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
May 30, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #1,516 of 1,918
The Mullard tube has arrived. After half an hour of listening buttery icecream comes to my mind, in a good way though. It is still too early for me to say anything meaningful about the sound signature, in comparison to my Tesla tube.
But it was an unpleasant surprise for me to pay more than 50€ for import duties at the post office today. That is more than 25% of the product value 😶 Brexit sure sucks. If I ever meet Nigel Farage in person I’ll make this clear to him… 😡
Brexit sure does suck!

i am happy that you love the sound at least!

May 30, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #1,517 of 1,918
Anyone here been able to try Levante? I am quite curious about possibly upgrading from AIC for susvara (off the rear taps) and estats through a transformer and am curious of performance and noise levels

May 30, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #1,519 of 1,918
I finally received my Raal CA-1A/TI-1B interface and Star-8. Pure Silver Cable. Still need to burn in but they do sound wonderful with the Riviera so far. My question would it be better to use the 32 ohm or 16 ohm input on the TI-1B interface. Currently on 32 ohm
How do you like it after some time? Would be great to hear some impressions and comparisons 😉

May 30, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,520 of 1,918
Gentlemen, has anyone tried RAAL CA-1a with a new TI-1b transformer? How does this combination sound in general? Does it have enough dynamic range? Is it still impressive when compared to Abyss TC?

Imo, ca1a is well run off aic but not competetive with stuff like 1266/sus/etc without the convolution filters. The stage is simply far too smeared and imprecise (something the filters help with quite a bit but also make the can more normal sounding overall) to be made up for with detail.

May 31, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #1,521 of 1,918
Anyone here been able to try Levante? I am quite curious about possibly upgrading from AIC for susvara (off the rear taps) and estats through a transformer and am curious of performance and noise levels
When I thought of purchasing the AIC-10, the dealer had only the Levante on demo.
So my "listening test" was done on the Levante.
Eventually, this led me to purchase the AIC-10.
However, the AIC-10 is much better off the speakers taps with headphones (Susvara as well). It's more quiet and more refined.

Last edited:
May 31, 2023 at 4:03 AM Post #1,522 of 1,918
The Mullard tube has arrived. After half an hour of listening buttery icecream comes to my mind, in a good way though. It is still too early for me to say anything meaningful about the sound signature, in comparison to my Tesla tube.
But it was an unpleasant surprise for me to pay more than 50€ for import duties at the post office today. That is more than 25% of the product value 😶 Brexit sure sucks. If I ever meet Nigel Farage in person I’ll make this clear to him… 😡
I use this tube everyday now, very satisfactory sound, super for long listening sessions. I wonder which tube will be next.... Telefunken I guess...

May 31, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #1,523 of 1,918
How do you like it after some time? Would be great to hear some impressions and comparisons 😉
Musicalhead.de you find detailed comparison and impressions on CA-1
I was pretty impressed during Munich show, comparing Ca-1 with viva 845, malvalve amp and SAEQ germanium transistors amp- the SAEQ was clearly a WINNER.
Sound was powerful yet delicate and full of nuances, with warm, extremely pleasant tonality IMHO. Comfort with CA1 on head is fantastic. But they look like a toy. Price of CA1 and SAEQ is VERY atractive. People I met from RAAL were super friendly and competent. If I would not have Abbyss i would go for it.

May 31, 2023 at 9:13 AM Post #1,525 of 1,918
So compared to the Abyss, these headphones do not make an impression of something new and special?
Apologies for jumping in, but I had both for quite a while, then I chose to sell the TC. CA1a when used with convolution filter from Accurate Sound is special indeed. The only aspect that TC wins is its visceral bass. Nothing can beat that. But CA1a can come close to TC's bass plus it wins on other aspects.

TC is the most fun, but CA1a is the most complete sounding headphone on my system.

May 31, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #1,526 of 1,918
However, the AIC-10 is much better off the speakers taps with headphones (Susvara as well). It's more quiet and more refined.

Ah, got it. So levante is a step back (for headphones) even off the rear taps? That's a shame. I apreciate the info

May 31, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,527 of 1,918
Apologies for jumping in, but I had both for quite a while, then I chose to sell the TC. CA1a when used with convolution filter from Accurate Sound is special indeed. The only aspect that TC wins is its visceral bass. Nothing can beat that. But CA1a can come close to TC's bass plus it wins on other aspects.

TC is the most fun, but CA1a is the most complete sounding headphone on my system.

I would also note that the stage and presentation of TC isn't something ca1a can replicate either imo

May 31, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,528 of 1,918
Ca1 is is significantly cheaper than 1266. I think in its price category it beats competitors with ease. And it is very close behind Abyss in some respects. Its lighter and more comfortable than 1266. Form follows function. For me is something special as its virtues come close to TOTL hps for a fraction of price . One must judge on his own.

May 31, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #1,529 of 1,918
I would also note that the stage and presentation of TC isn't something ca1a can replicate either imo
Actually for the stage size, CA1a goes toe to toe with TC (at least on my system). This is one of the first things I noticed when I just got my CA1a back then. It’s at the top of my list as I like it better than TC, Susvara, SR1a.

May 31, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #1,530 of 1,918
Just got the SC cable for my 2017 Phi. Long time loving this HP! This cable does a lot to rebalance the sound. Subtle in parts, but the overall presentation is changed quite a bit. Lots of improvements without any trade-offs (unless you like lots of treble). That heavy treble is enveloped by bigger mids, especially mid-bass. Much more even sound. Somehow the soundstage is more imersive. Comes to mind, I think this is the config to compare against.

Listening to White Zombie now. Gives me chills, reminiscent of when I was with my brother 20 years ago in his '65 Skylark convertible. He had a sub block in the trunk with dual 15" subs. We shook the entire neighborhood with 'Zombie, and my chest being pounded at close range. Was even hard to breathe it was such a pounding... This doesn't give the same level of chest pounding as that 2k watts of pure bass at close range, but it's the closest satisfying I've experienced in decades... You might not get it, it's an experience...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back