Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Apr 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #1,486 of 2,051
I am also listening mainly with speakers, with Susvara remaining more often than not in the box.

That said, I think we tend to overemphasize differences....I'm not the most discerning listeners (as I suppose 90% here) and I listen at low volumes due to tinnitus, but with Susvara the difference between speaker tap and headphone output is definitely not night and day...
Many in thread think it plays a pretty big role. I was on cusp of buying the adapter but then my speakers arrived and have been distracted ever since.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,487 of 2,051
Many in thread think it plays a pretty big role. I was on cusp of buying the adapter but then my speakers arrived and have been distracted ever since.
I'm not saying it doesn't.
But it took me time (and money) to realize that probably my ears are less sensitive than the ones of the most experienced forumers.

OT: I also had the Deville at home for a couple of days and I enjoyed them a lot....but also in that case, hard to ear a 10K+ difference vs my Devialet Phantom Gold. Unfortunately the Riviera was not in the house then....

Apr 9, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #1,488 of 2,051
Are you the same TDX on another forum discussing chairs?

Currently in market for a chair and the options are endless and mouth foaming!
sorry im not...

Apr 11, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #1,489 of 2,051
Folks, another question: I just bought a PS Audio P12 which is coming this week, and I am now thinking about getting better power cables for the Riviera and the rest of my gear (Esoteric N-05XD DAC, Uptone Etherregen and switch, and soon Mutec REF10 master clock). I have a dealer that can give me a great deal on Puritan Ultimate cables so I was thinking of getting a full loom for everything and call it a day.

But I've read that both the P12 and the Riviera really benefit from beefy HC PC, and so I'm thinking of maybe getting something more substantial for them. Maybe the AQ Hurricanes? They're pricier than the Puritan cables but I'd rather just buy once.

Would love advice on this, thanks!

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #1,490 of 2,051
Folks, another question: I just bought a PS Audio P12 which is coming this week, and I am now thinking about getting better power cables for the Riviera and the rest of my gear (Esoteric N-05XD DAC, Uptone Etherregen and switch, and soon Mutec REF10 master clock). I have a dealer that can give me a great deal on Puritan Ultimate cables so I was thinking of getting a full loom for everything and call it a day.

But I've read that both the P12 and the Riviera really benefit from beefy HC PC, and so I'm thinking of maybe getting something more substantial for them. Maybe the AQ Hurricanes? They're pricier than the Puritan cables but I'd rather just buy once.

Would love advice on this, thanks!
Shunyata or Synergistic Research PCs over Audioquest for Tube gear. Much better synergy imo.
AQ PC house sound is speed, resolution and slight v-shape but comparatively leaner, dryer, and reduces the harmonic, euphony and tube characters.
Shunyata is very neutral, has excellent solidity, bloom, and a smoother presentation while maintaining the resolution and technicality of AQ.
SR is slightly warmer and more bloomy with tubes than Shunyata and my favourite but an ergonomic nightmare. Their tuning bullets are also, interesting...
I'd recommend Shunyata Alpha V2 XC or SR Atmosphere Series. I like both of those better than the Hurricane with tubes specifically.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:35 AM Post #1,491 of 2,051
Shunyata or Synergistic Research PCs over Audioquest for Tube gear. Much better synergy imo.
AQ PC house sound is speed, resolution and slight v-shape but comparatively leaner, dryer, and reduces the harmonic, euphony and tube characters.
Shunyata is very neutral, has excellent solidity, bloom, and a smoother presentation while maintaining the resolution and technicality of AQ.
SR is slightly warmer and more bloomy with tubes than Shunyata and my favourite but an ergonomic nightmare. Their tuning bullets are also, interesting...
I'd recommend Shunyata Alpha V2 XC or SR Atmosphere Series. I like both of those better than the Hurricane with tubes specifically.
Thank you for this, very useful. I'll try to see if I can get either of these two cables at least for the Power Plant and the Riviera. Would you recommend I also use them for the rest of my gear? Or can I get away with cheaper cables like the Puritan Ultimates for my DAC, switch, clock etc?

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,492 of 2,051
Thank you for this, very useful. I'll try to see if I can get either of these two cables at least for the Power Plant and the Riviera. Would you recommend I also use them for the rest of my gear? Or can I get away with cheaper cables like the Puritan Ultimates for my DAC, switch, clock etc?
Depends on your chain and level of each component. PCs are extremely system dependent and my experience might be completely different from yours.
From my experience though, assuming all your components are all the same 'level', the order of upgrading PC is first on the power conditioner, then source/streamer, clock, dac, pre, and lastly amp. Best power cord should be placed in that order following source first methodology. When I was upgrading and building my system I spoke with several manufacturers, AQ, Shunyata, Nordost, and several dealers that sells multiple brands and that was the general order I was told with minor differences with 1 or 2 orders. Amp for 2ch is recommended to be plugged directly into the wall with dedicated line but for headphone amps that draws like no power in comparison, straight in conditioner is better.
I'd play around, you might be surprised to see if you get 1 power cord that's above the rest the best result might not actually be on the Riviera. Play around and switch it to all your components, there should be one that is better than the rest due to synergy. So I'd def put the best power cord on the Powerplant, then the other one you should experiment and find out where works best in your chain.

Apr 11, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #1,493 of 2,051
Thanks a bunch!

Apr 13, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #1,494 of 2,051
I might be looking to upgrade my vinyl + speaker stack with Deville SQs at the expense of my favorite headphone amp... It feels wrong typing it, but I have to choose one for now... ping me if interested in a well loved Riviera AIC10Bal with a collection of perfect tubes, until I change my mind. 😢

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:26 PM Post #1,495 of 2,051
Tough situations in our hobby is the above, but when time comes timecomes!

Apr 14, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #1,496 of 2,051
Tough situations in our hobby is the above, but when time comes timecomes!
ohhh... I can't sell it. I will just have to buy more 🤣

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,497 of 2,051
ohhh... I can't sell it. I will just have to buy more 🤣
I sold mine and rebought it for what its worth. Both times 1st owner brand new.

Apr 14, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,498 of 2,051
Can anyone comment on the correct way to wire up a rel sub to the aic?

Attachments

• image (3).png
    image (3).png
    151.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 17, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #1,499 of 2,051
Can anyone comment on the correct way to wire up a rel sub to the aic?
It's a single ended amp, first method (standard high level hookup) will work.

If you want to get the most out of it, try to listen to different cables and don't buy full loom at once. Power cables are really tricky, one will sound better with the DAC, another with the amp and so on. In addition to ready-made cables, I would also advise you to try Furutech DPS 4.1 with Furutech Fi-50 connectors. It's easy to build, costs less and sounds better than comparable ready-made. I don’t know if it’s worth connecting the entire system with such cables, but one is definitely worth having. I have it connected to the Riviera, probably as a cable for P12 it will also be a good option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back