Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 22, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,471 of 2,051
Mar 22, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #1,472 of 2,051
Mar 22, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,473 of 2,051
Anyone tried using a tube sheild in the aic? Something like this to try and cut down on rf issues?

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics...parts/tube-sockets-and-retainers/tube-shield/
It will be a night and day difference, the highs will be higher and the lows will be lower 😂.
Sorry I am mocking you. Go ahead and try, and please report back 😊 For my personal taste it just feels strange to fiddle with such a hyper expensive piece of gear. I expect the builder to have considered all of this. Maybe I am naive or just lazy to try out…
However, I am also slightly discontent that many people report that they get better sq from the speaker tabs. I don’t want to go that route because of discomfort, I want the best sound to come out of the front socket, what it is there for. I also use speakers.
If I ever bought a Porsche, which I never will because I ride my bike and use carsharing, I would also not want to change screws or pneus first before I get to 100%. At this premium price range I would expect the best right from the beginning. My 2c.
BTW AIC sounds super sublime 😃

Mar 22, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #1,474 of 2,051
It will be a night and day difference, the highs will be higher and the lows will be lower 😂.
Sorry I am mocking you. Go ahead and try, and please report back 😊 For my personal taste it just feels strange to fiddle with such a hyper expensive piece of gear. I expect the builder to have considered all of this. Maybe I am naive or just lazy to try out…
However, I am also slightly discontent that many people report that they get better sq from the speaker tabs. I don’t want to go that route because of discomfort, I want the best sound to come out of the front socket, what it is there for. I also use speakers.
If I ever bought a Porsche, which I never will because I ride my bike and use carsharing, I would also not want to change screws or pneus first before I get to 100%. At this premium price range I would expect the best right from the beginning. My 2c.

I mean, I think that comparison is fundamentaly flawed. A car has to appeal to a mass audience and meet all sorts of esoteric regulation. A modified one just has to appeal to you. Stuff like changing to smaller diamater wheels, ditching cup 2 tires cause you do indeed drive in the rain, or swapping out the emissions based gear ratios of a cayman gt4 for shorter ones are all super sensible changes for lots of people that Porsche couldn't make them selves for one reason or another.

Also, just tbh, the fact that rear taps do sound pretty significantly better than the front out shows that there is at least one oversight. I'm asking if someone else has tried because I don't want to bother with the ordering process if someone goes "oh, that won't fit". Honestly, do I expect a difference? Not realy, no. But it like $6 shipped and I'm this deep into the hobby cause I like playing with gear 🤷‍♀️

Mar 22, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #1,475 of 2,051
try the speaker taps!!!

Mar 23, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #1,476 of 2,051
I mean, I think that comparison is fundamentaly flawed. A car has to appeal to a mass audience and meet all sorts of esoteric regulation. A modified one just has to appeal to you. Stuff like changing to smaller diamater wheels, ditching cup 2 tires cause you do indeed drive in the rain, or swapping out the emissions based gear ratios of a cayman gt4 for shorter ones are all super sensible changes for lots of people that Porsche couldn't make them selves for one reason or another.

Also, just tbh, the fact that rear taps do sound pretty significantly better than the front out shows that there is at least one oversight. I'm asking if someone else has tried because I don't want to bother with the ordering process if someone goes "oh, that won't fit". Honestly, do I expect a difference? Not realy, no. But it like $6 shipped and I'm this deep into the hobby cause I like playing with gear 🤷‍♀️
No argument here, all good. The idea just makes me nervous that such a premium product can be improved by further tweaking it. But I guess that is part of the hobby to search for these tweaks.

Mar 23, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #1,477 of 2,051
I personally would not feel comfortable tinkering with the tube section but that is just me. I have clumsy hands, haha.

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #1,478 of 2,051
Finally joined the club this morning. Took forever to find one but was very much worth the wait. Enjoying the hell out of it (in conjunction with an Esoteric N-05XD dac and Susvara). Will post some more thoughts after a few days of use but it's a keeper for sure...

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,479 of 2,051
Finally joined the club this morning. Took forever to find one but was very much worth the wait. Enjoying the hell out of it (in conjunction with an Esoteric N-05XD dac and Susvara). Will post some more thoughts after a few days of use but it's a keeper for sure...

I look forward to your impressions! Also, make sure you get a speaker tap adaptor :wink:

Mar 27, 2023 at 11:42 AM Post #1,480 of 2,051
I look forward to your impressions! Also, make sure you get a speaker tap adaptor :wink:
thanks will do. I'll use the Susvara on the HP out for a bit to get to know the sound and then later on try speaker outs to compare.

Mar 31, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,481 of 2,051
Hi all, enjoying the Riviera non stop since I got it. What an amp...

Also ordered the XRL-> banana plugs adapter from Moon Audio for the Susvara, should get it next week.

Now thinking about tube rolling. It seems from what I read here that the two most recommended are the TF G73-R and the Mullard M8136. I checked online and there are many variations of each and prices vary wildly.

So instead if anyone has either of these that they want to sell, pls pm me.

Thanks!

Apr 8, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #1,482 of 2,051
Hi all, enjoying the Riviera non stop since I got it. What an amp...

Also ordered the XRL-> banana plugs adapter from Moon Audio for the Susvara, should get it next week.

Now thinking about tube rolling. It seems from what I read here that the two most recommended are the TF G73-R and the Mullard M8136. I checked online and there are many variations of each and prices vary wildly.

So instead if anyone has either of these that they want to sell, pls pm me.

Thanks!
Please share impressions of speaker tap vs headphone, lots of people are huge fans of the taps it seems, for too many reasons to list, I have yet still explored that path!

Main reason thus far as I am in such love with speakers currently (max honeymoon stage) that my headphones are set aside for now.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2023 at 6:23 AM Post #1,483 of 2,051
Please share impressions of speaker tap vs headphone, lots of people are huge fans of the taps it seems, for too many reasons to list, I have yet still explored that path!

Main reason thus far as I am in such love with speakers currently (max honeymoon stage) that my headphones are set aside for now.
I am also listening mainly with speakers, with Susvara remaining more often than not in the box.

That said, I think we tend to overemphasize differences....I'm not the most discerning listeners (as I suppose 90% here) and I listen at low volumes due to tinnitus, but with Susvara the difference between speaker tap and headphone output is definitely not night and day...

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:52 AM Post #1,484 of 2,051

I'm still AB-ing and haven't fully decided which one I prefer. The speaker taps definitely have more space, sizzle and sparkle. But sometimes it can get a tad fatiguing and in that case the HP out is more behaved and makes for a slightly easier listening session. But, and this is the reason I'm still experimenting, it's very much tube dependent. I have the Teslas, GR73s and a Mullard on the way and each tube synergizes differently with the two outputs. Once I've settled on my preferred tube/output combo I'll update here.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #1,485 of 2,051
I'm still AB-ing and haven't fully decided which one I prefer. The speaker taps definitely have more space, sizzle and sparkle. But sometimes it can get a tad fatiguing and in that case the HP out is more behaved and makes for a slightly easier listening session. But, and this is the reason I'm still experimenting, it's very much tube dependent. I have the Teslas, GR73s and a Mullard on the way and each tube synergizes differently with the two outputs. Once I've settled on my preferred tube/output combo I'll update here.
Are you the same TDX on another forum discussing chairs?

Currently in market for a chair and the options are endless and mouth foaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back