Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Mar 2, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,441 of 1,918
Beautiful set up. I am sure you are enjoying that set.
Very much so! I am blessed, for sure. It would be marveleous to see you finally settle on a great system. You've had your hands on so much great gear, I hate to see you keep losing money on reselling this top notch gear. Help a fellow out, and Keep something for a while!

All joking aside, take a minute with what you have. It really is the best of the best.

Mar 3, 2023 at 12:00 AM Post #1,442 of 1,918
Very much so! I am blessed, for sure. It would be marveleous to see you finally settle on a great system. You've had your hands on so much great gear, I hate to see you keep losing money on reselling this top notch gear. Help a fellow out, and Keep something for a while!

All joking aside, take a minute with what you have. It really is the best of the best.
I actually have been off the gear merry go round for a while now. I sold you mine as I was trying to leave the whole hobby altogether at the time. Glad you have been enjoying it immensely, makes me happy to hear.

Hope everyone has a great upcoming weekend!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,443 of 1,918
Anyone here happen to feel that stock tube is good enough, yeah yeah I know, unpopular question.

Mar 7, 2023 at 4:39 PM Post #1,447 of 1,918
Anyone here happen to feel that stock tube is good enough, yeah yeah I know, unpopular question.
Best tube for reasonable cost I've heard is that Mullard Shark Teeth. Get that and don't look back. The G73-R is also supreme, but availability atm and cost is too high. Also, maybe more clinical sound than what most seem to prefer.

These two tubes will take the Riviera to it's fullest potential, Way better than stock tube.

Mar 7, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,448 of 1,918
Best tube for reasonable cost I've heard is that Mullard Shark Teeth. Get that and don't look back. The G73-R is also supreme, but availability atm and cost is too high. Also, maybe more clinical sound than what most seem to prefer.

These two tubes will take the Riviera to it's fullest potential, Way better than stock tube.
Thanks for the summary. Will stay with stock for a good while first and will take your advice when feeling that itch to tinker.

I always find it interesting how people in the thread can narrow down so easily regarding tubes.

The owners of the riviera company mentioned a tube that wasnt expensive either, around 100 or so but forgot the name

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #1,449 of 1,918
Opened that brand new AIC10 after much back and forth, as I was opening I felt like I lit a few thousand bucks on fire.

When listening to the amp, I feel like I won the lottery.

I decided to just use this same amp with the Fleetwood Devilles, rather than to get them their own dedicated speaker amp. I really enjoy having minimal gear, have always been that way since start of the hobby decade ago or so.

I am stupid for selling my first 1, at least the buyer of that one is still enjoying it immensely.

*grins stupidly ear to ear*

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #1,450 of 1,918

For the mullard shark teeth, when compared to stock tube, less resolution or more?

Mar 16, 2023 at 10:34 PM Post #1,451 of 1,918
I'm currently on the same page. I keep thinking I should put the G73-R back in (I have 6 of them...), but I keep putting it off due to the musicality mixed with similar detail the shark teeth Mullard has.
Serious question, how come you bought so many of them? Dont they cost like 700 a pop? Or did you get them when they were much cheaper?

Mar 17, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #1,452 of 1,918
For the mullard shark teeth, when compared to stock tube, less resolution or more?
Stock JJ is an "ok tube". Almost all NOS options will have more resolution and bigger soundstage after some burn-in. However, Mullards are more about nicer tone and smoother highs. G73 for darker, punchier sound with great resolution is a must have, in my opinion. Very special tube, very different from others. For more "tubey" sound try Mullard, Amperex Bugle Boy, RCA Cleartop - all of them are good, just different. For less "tubey", but more detailed sound - Telefunken, Siemens, Tesla. Best way is to get few different tubes and try each for a week or so.

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #1,453 of 1,918
Hey guys, I thought about something, for the Abyss TC, since when using speakers the headphone output is still active....

If I sucked it up and bought the SC cable with speaker taps direct into the rear as "input 2" with my speakers into "input 1" when switching back and forth between headphone and speaker use would be much more elegant correct?

Rather than always unplugging the headphones when using speakers, am I correct in this assumption or am I somehow wrong?

Mar 17, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #1,454 of 1,918
Hey guys, I thought about something, for the Abyss TC, since when using speakers the headphone output is still active....

If I sucked it up and bought the SC cable with speaker taps direct into the rear as "input 2" with my speakers into "input 1" when switching back and forth between headphone and speaker use would be much more elegant correct?

Rather than always unplugging the headphones when using speakers, am I correct in this assumption or am I somehow wrong?
you're mixing inputs and outputs.
Both your speakers and SC cable will be connected to the single speakers output on the back so they will both work together when you select that output.

I don't own a AIC but doesn't it have a toggle on the front to switch between speakers and headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #1,455 of 1,918
There is only one way, only connect speakers or hp with speaker tabs. You would have to unplug and replug each time to switch between speakers and hp with speaker tabs.
What I do when I am alone at home is listen to hp and speakers simultaneously 😁 As the 1266 are open headphones the sound from the speakers adds a fourth dimension haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back