Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Feb 17, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #1,412 of 2,051
Feb 18, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,414 of 2,051
Feb 18, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #1,415 of 2,051
Why do you change tubes so often?
its a figure of speech of course :) but I did try to A/B or just test 9 different tubes + various preamp combinations. Which made me change them more often then most. I am still surprised how much worse the standard JJ tube sounds then even the basic Tesla tubes that you can get quite cheeply.

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #1,416 of 2,051
For you folks using both speakers and headphones... do you need to unattach speaker cables when listening to headphones and vice versa?

Feb 18, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #1,417 of 2,051
For you folks using both speakers and headphones... do you need to unattach speaker cables when listening to headphones and vice versa?
The switch on the front mutes the speaker outputs when in headphone mode but the headphone outs are always active.

If you wish to use speaker tap for both headphones and speakers you would need an external switch box

Feb 18, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #1,418 of 2,051
The switch on the front mutes the speaker outputs when in headphone mode but the headphone outs are always active.

If you wish to use speaker tap for both headphones and speakers you would need an external switch box
Thanks

Feb 19, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #1,420 of 2,051
I detach my headphones when listening to speakers. But not the other way around :wink:
This was exactly what I was planning to do. Thank you.

What speakers do you use? Seems like lots of AIC owners use speakers too with the amp.

Feb 20, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #1,421 of 2,051
This was exactly what I was planning to do. Thank you.

What speakers do you use? Seems like lots of AIC owners use speakers too with the amp.
I use very old Dynaudio Audience bookshelf speakers. They sound fine, but not great. I don’t use them because they are particularly great with the amp but rather because I didn’t have time nor money to go speaker shopping. On my auditioning list would be Audio Note, Cube Audio, Blumenhofer and possibly Fleedwood.

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #1,422 of 2,051
New owner here!
I'm from Italy but accidentally I was able to find a used original unit from Sweden.
Unfortunately the transporter decided that, since I was not at home, it was acceptable to throw the package in my garden and letting it in the cold basically for the whole day. Result: amp heavily damaged....

I approached Riviera for fixing it and I was offered to pay an extra for a Bal unit they had in house and was used for some demos.
Unit arrived at my house on Saturday and right now I'm listening to the last album of Anna B Savage through a pair of Audio Epilog ICE....heaven!!!

I bought the unit to be paired with a pair of Susvara....I've never been an headphones guy and I wanted to fully commit to a state of the art system to see if the problem was me or the chain. Apparently it's me, I'll spend some more time with it but it doesn't grow on me....

That said the Riviera is definitely a keeper and, even if an overkill, I'm seriously thinking to keep it for the nearfield system in my home office.
Source is a Grandinote Volta....not the king of usability, but nevertheless impressive device.

I'm not the most discerning listener, but if you have question feel free!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,424 of 2,051
the 16ohm will give you a bit more volume as I have found because the adapter requires tons of power...otherwise just a subjective choice

Feb 20, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #1,425 of 2,051
I finally received my Raal CA-1A/TI-1B interface and Star-8. Pure Silver Cable. Still need to burn in but they do sound wonderful with the Riviera so far. My question would it be better to use the 32 ohm or 16 ohm input on the TI-1B interface. Currently on 32 ohm
make sure to get the Barnett convolution filter for the CA-1a

Users who are viewing this thread

Back