Riviera AIC-10 headphones & speakers amplifier
Jan 28, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #1,351 of 1,919
Anyone who uses a pre amp with their Aic-10 headphone amp set up use the Riviera APL 10 pre amp ?
General speaking, Unless there is an option of pre bypass, integrated amps can’t be used with a dedicated pre. You might need to get a pure power amp as Riviera AFC10 or AFM25.

Yet I did see a lot of setups with aic10 with APL10. So there shall be a way to bypass…

It is just it seems like in loudspeaker world, Riviera is more famous for integrated and mono power amp rather than pre amp. Yet as long as you enjoy the Riviera house sound without needing to change its Sound sig, its preamps shall fit your need.

Anyone notice that the headphones output is working even when the output selector is in speakers mode? Is that normal operation?

My Riviera manual is packed with its box in my storage space so I can’t RTFM.
In my personal experience, I notice that the headphone out will still have sound even using the speaker out mode, which is normal not only in Riviera lineup but also many other amps with both headphone and speaker out.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2023 at 2:08 AM Post #1,353 of 1,919
In my personal experience, I notice that the headphone out will still have sound even using the speaker out mode, which is normal not only in Riviera lineup but also many other amps with both headphone and speaker out.
I see, need to make sure I only leave one headphone connected not to reach unwanted output levels.
I had the TC connected to the speakers output and the Pulsar to the headphones output.
The TC requires a bit more volume than the Pulsar, not dangerous levels for the Pulsar but still there’s sound in the background coming from another headphone.

Jan 28, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #1,354 of 1,919
I see, need to make sure I only leave one headphone connected not to reach unwanted output levels.
I had the TC connected to the speakers output and the Pulsar to the headphones output.
The TC requires a bit more volume than the Pulsar, not dangerous levels for the Pulsar but still there’s sound in the background coming from another headphone.
I’d also prefer that hp out is muted when speakers are used. I usually unplug my hp when listening to speakers to reduce their usage. Not sure if there are technical reasons for it?

Jan 28, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #1,355 of 1,919
Anyone notice that the headphones output is working even when the output selector is in speakers mode? Is that normal operation?

My Riviera manual is packed with its box in my storage space so I can’t RTFM.
It is normal

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #1,356 of 1,919
General speaking, Unless there is an option of pre bypass, integrated amps can’t be used with a dedicated pre. You might need to get a pure power amp as Riviera AFC10 or AFM25.

Yet I did see a lot of setups with aic10 with APL10. So there shall be a way to bypass…

It is just it seems like in loudspeaker world, Riviera is more famous for integrated and mono power amp rather than pre amp. Yet as long as you enjoy the Riviera house sound without needing to change its Sound sig, its preamps shall fit your need.

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean 'pre bypass' I currently use a MBL 6010D pre amp in my system, volume controlled by Aic-10 headphone amp, so what's the difference between my current pre amp and APL 10 ?
Yes I also have seen Aic-10 with APL 10 set ups.

Feb 2, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #1,358 of 1,919
What does it mean to use "base model" speaker taps?
I'm using some UCC copper-based cable from speaker taps to XLR-type input. From there on I connect the headphones cable.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #1,359 of 1,919
I'm using some UCC copper-based cable from speaker taps to XLR-type input. From there on I connect the headphones cable.
Where did you get it from?

Link?

Just curious.

I plan to get one custom from Abyss, just havent gotten to it yet. Been busyyyyyy.

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:41 AM Post #1,360 of 1,919
It’s been a while I did take the time to post, well post covid felt like jumping on a train at full speed…

I left the G73-R black label untouched for quite a long time and it always gave me some very nice early morning listening pleasure, I‘d say it is the most precise and resolving tube I do own. It is so good at what it does, it left left me wanting a touch more tube… I was urging for some imperfection, coloring tube sweetness. I was always hoping to find it with Mullards, and yes they are having a lot of those traits.

I only own one out of quite a number of Mullards that I do really enjoy. But even this one does leave me not exactly where I‘d like it to take me. Having posted lately of the TFK 6211, I have given it a go. What a beauty!

B3B75E3D-21ED-4A93-A337-8324B45713EF.jpeg

It was never designed for audio use, it does not have a linear amplification curve, it does have more gain (26 vs. 15-16) compared to the ECC82. It was designed for early computation, it is basically a switch.

But it does sound exceptional, it does have such a dreamy melancholy that does make it hard to explain. The same time it does have a very fast and powerfull low end which does make it a wonderful choice for the Susvaras, which always need a kick in the but to really come up to life.

I am currently listening to Pasodoble // Agnus Dei

285A09E1-F94F-453D-A3CB-AB653C8A5D0B.jpeg

It sounds like this composition/recording was made with the 6211 in mind it does leave this bittersweet impression, kind of lyrical out of the world feeling. it does leave all opulence aside, no overly rich parfum to intrigue and show off. Just a capture of melancholy, no rush, take your time and embrace whats inside of you.

If you have a moment give it a listen maybe you get a similar impression.

Glad today is Friday ….

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #1,361 of 1,919

Link?

Just curious.

I plan to get one custom from Abyss, just havent gotten to it yet. Been busyyyyyy.

Thanks.
I also was about to ask abyss for one? Should we try and ask them to make more for people in this thread, maybe that would reduce the price!?

Feb 3, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #1,362 of 1,919
It’s been a while I did take the time to post, well post covid felt like jumping on a train at full speed…

I left the G73-R black label untouched for quite a long time and it always gave me some very nice early morning listening pleasure, I‘d say it is the most precise and resolving tube I do own. It is so good at what it does, it left left me wanting a touch more tube… I was urging for some imperfection, coloring tube sweetness. I was always hoping to find it with Mullards, and yes they are having a lot of those traits.

I only own one out of quite a number of Mullards that I do really enjoy. But even this one does leave me not exactly where I‘d like it to take me. Having posted lately of the TFK 6211, I have given it a go. What a beauty!

B3B75E3D-21ED-4A93-A337-8324B45713EF.jpeg

It was never designed for audio use, it does not have a linear amplification curve, it does have more gain (26 vs. 15-16) compared to the ECC82. It was designed for early computation, it is basically a switch.

But it does sound exceptional, it does have such a dreamy melancholy that does make it hard to explain. The same time it does have a very fast and powerfull low end which does make it a wonderful choice for the Susvaras, which always need a kick in the but to really come up to life.

I am currently listening to Pasodoble // Agnus Dei

285A09E1-F94F-453D-A3CB-AB653C8A5D0B.jpeg

It sounds like this composition/recording was made with the 6211 in mind it does leave this bittersweet impression, kind of lyrical out of the world feeling. it does leave all opulence aside, no overly rich parfum to intrigue and show off. Just a capture of melancholy, no rush, take your time and embrace whats inside of you.

If you have a moment give it a listen maybe you get a similar impression.

Glad today is Friday ….
Me on my way to buy a 10th tube… 🤪

Feb 3, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #1,363 of 1,919

Link?

Just curious.

Thanks.
Based on Acoustic Revive Triple-C cable.
I have a friend who does the soldering.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:26 AM Post #1,364 of 1,919
I was planning to get a 1M one and was quoted 2K.

Feb 3, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #1,365 of 1,919
I was planning to get a 1M one and was quoted 2K.
If you use the TC only, it would make sense to buy a one-piece speakers to headphones cable. Without the connection in between.
You could sell your SC cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back